Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Attitudes  (Read 1333 times)

Online CVACEO

• Members
Attitudes
« on: May 02, 2010, 02:01:53 PM »
This is just one person's opinion (mine  ;D) and I am relatively new to AWS, so take it for what it is ...

I visit the Forums to learn more about AWS, seek out answers to my questions, get a feel for what other players know, answer other people's questions if/when I think I have an answer that might be useful and, in general terms, try to be more involved in the AWS game world.  I love this game, am very thankful that Sami has developed it for us, think what it costs to play is a pittance compared to the enjoyment I get in return and I very much look forward to the future evolution of it.  But I have to say that, for as serious as I take it in trying to operate a "realistic" airline - it's still just a game.  It's supposed to be fun for all of us (Sami included).  So when I read posts where people are getting mean, rude and demanding it really makes me sick.  Some frequent Forum posters act like this is their little kingdom - like they know-it-all, have all the answers and, in fact, get quite rude with other posters who "dare" to interject a different line of thinking.  Wosrt of all, though, are those people who try to take Sami to the whipping post on various elements of the game that are not functioning or implemented to their esteem satisfaction.  Those of you who do not appreciate AWS for what it was, what it is, and what it will be need to take a breath and a step back and understand that AWS is not a right, nor is it guaranteed indefinitely.  AWS is a priilege - one that we pay for, granted - but a privilege that could go away with the click of a button if Sami so chose, for any of a number of reasons.  As I've said before elsewhere, AWS has to be a huge undertaking and I can't imagine the work and time it has taken to develop it.  I think we all owe it to each other and to Sami to, at the very least, be respectful when we share information and thoughts on the Forums.

Again, just my $.02
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 02:05:18 PM by GoGreenCEO »

Offline swiftus27

• Members
Re: Attitudes
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 03:04:29 PM »
Do you feel that I make this my own little kingdom?  Is that what you are implying? 

Online CVACEO

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 03:10:56 PM »
I'm not implying that about anyone in particular - it's just an attitude that seems to get projected from time to time by many frequent Forum posters.  For instance, I posted in the General Forum some information and a link that I thought would be useful and one of the replies from a frequent poster suggested that my information was not as useful as he/she thought it should be and, in fact, I should keep my posts to a minimum in order to use less space on the server.  To me, this is like saying "don't waste valuable posting space with your useless drivel".  I thought it was inconsiderate.

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 03:14:08 PM »
I'm not implying that about anyone in particular - it's just an attitude that seems to get projected from time to time by many frequent Forum posters.  For instance, I posted in the General Forum some information and a link that I thought would be useful and one of the replies from a frequent poster suggested that my information was not as useful as he/she thought it should be and, in fact, I should keep my posts to a minimum in order to use less space on the server.  To me, this is like saying "don't waste valuable posting space with your useless drivel".  I thought it was inconsiderate.

the only thing I can say in response is that there are many questions asked over and over.  Using the search bar at the top is extremely easy.   Im probably one of the most active posters since starting with this game awhile ago.  I mainly try to help other players and find features/bugs for all to enjoy.  Sure, I can come off wrong at times... but we all can as well.

However, space on the server???? wow....  I think there are terrabyte drives for this sole reason.  

Alot of you should have been here a year ago.  I'd love to have seen the complaints then.  Luckily, there were many calm people who simply dealt with game issues patiently.  

This is why you can't just get the next 100 737s... you cant double hop and rule the world "Majic Carpet" style...  This is still a work in progress and many of us do feel vested in part.  While we don't make a dime off of it ourselves, many feel as if their contribution has lead to the betterment of this whole business sim/game.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 03:16:45 PM by swiftus27 »

Online CVACEO

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 03:18:55 PM »
As Sami pointed out in a recent post, communicating with one-another electronically can sometimes interject the sense of an attitude that wasn't intended - I understand that.  But, "try to post as little replies as possible it saves space on the server ;)" seems to convey the intended meaning pretty clearly.

auerbacs

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 04:08:11 PM »
Come on, this is ridiculous. The space on the server has to be a non-argument... The amount of space taken up by each message is negligible. If anything, everybody should promoting discussion on whatever topic on the website. Yes, perhaps the cost of running the website is infinitesimally higher, but it will also induce people to spend more in the game and really belong to the AWS community. If anybody told you to save space, I do find that to be really snotty and inappropriate. That said, it is a good idea to search for your answer before posting it. But it's a good idea to do this because it saves time for the good people, swiftus included, who are so giving in their time in answering questions... not because of some bulls*** argument about space.

Sami, you're not really concerned about space are you? If so, go ahead and delete this message  :P

Talentz

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 05:50:09 PM »
As bad as it gets here, its nothing compared to A.net. Your lucky to get half way through the thread without it turning into a flame fest.

Besides, just about every forum I've been to is like this. Its product of everyone having the ability to post there opinion...  :laugh:

Talentz

Offline CUR$E - God of AirwaySim

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 06:19:42 PM »
Besides, just about every forum I've been to is like this.

Ah! So YOU are the guy who is responsible for all the forum flames!  ;D

Online CVACEO

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 06:30:47 PM »
Yeah, I know these forums tend to get like that.  And wishing they weren't isn't going to change anything.  Still, I think every question is valid and every answer should, likewise, be considered.  With 1000 opinions, there's no getting around the fact that some will differ, perhaps even strongly.  But I see no reason to get nasty or accusatory with each other.  And, the "don't post to save space" reply I got wasn't even in response to a question - it was in response to a link I had posted as a suggestion to help determine what airline names/liveries were might be protected and, thus, not usable in AWS.

I agree that people (me included) should use the search feature more but, hey, if someone can't find the answer they were looking for or just posted a question without really researching it is that really a reason to get mean-spirited?  Why not just reply with a link to the subject and leave it at that?

Also, if you post a topic (rather than PM'ing a person like Sami directly) I think you should expect to hear everyone's opinion on the matter and have no right to say "this was just for Sami so mind your own business".

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 08:39:26 PM »
Server space ... we got HD space so don't worry ;)

Forums .. like pointed, all forums tend to be occasionally a bit of "yes-no-toldyouso" type of meaningless debate .. It is nautral with a large base of people not familiar with each others, and communicating via forum. (trust me on this, been running net forums for 10+ years now). Just keep in mknd that the other guy may not understand you, and taking it to peronal levels is completely useless. But if there's something not in accordance with the rules each message has a "report to modetrator" link next to it.

PM'ing me ... Please don't, unless it's something personal, or game world report (like demand or slot misuse) or something else that can NOT be asked in public forums. In other words please prefer posting to public side instead of PM'ing me. Posting a public message may help also some other players... But do a search first..

AWS.. This is a longterm and evolving process. Sometimes bugs happen but intention is to clear them asap and naturally if some major problems happen the users are not "left alone in the dark" (ie. if there's something wrong it can be compensated .. if it was "our fault"). But only for major problems of course, like we had previously with a/c order system where a complete game world had to be restarted after one week or so..  Still, I do see that AWS is extremely bug-free software.. there's less than 10 open (minor) bug reports at the moment I think.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 08:44:10 PM by sami »

L1011fan

• Former member
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 05:29:48 PM »
There is nothing wrong with being civil, polite, and just basically nice. You're right, GoGreenCeo, in that there is alot of sniping going on, and I have engaged in it to a degree. I try not to though. You have to kind of let it roll off your back which isn't always easy, but there are quite a few wannabe kings, so its not your imagination. I'm learning to ignore it.   This is nearly a blood sport to several players. So just do what you feel is best, stay out of the forums for awhile (for your own morals sake), which I do for quite awhile sometimes and build your airline(s). :)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 05:32:10 PM by L1011fan »

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.