Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Base airport feature feedback  (Read 8359 times)

L1011fan

• Former member
Re: Base airport feature feedback
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2010, 01:43:06 AM »
I actually think having multiple bases and doing A-B-C-B-A in one game would be optimal. Also maybe bring it down to 12 planes to open a 2nd base. I have yet to try having another base, and I'm getting close, but would still like to be able to operate multi-leg flights as well. I do think some carriers are getting too big, too fast and I have yet to figure out how its being done. I think one of my problems has been starting in bases that are too small (TUS seemed to have alot of potential and demand as it was seemingly being ignored by alot of gamers). I've also tried as big as LAX to no avail. It would be great if we could have both features at once if possible. For those who might say we don't need that, use what you like and don't use what you don't like, but I'd like to try a game where both options are available. Thats all outta me, except may be lower the number of participants a bit? :)
PS (of course) In any game I have ever played, BWI, STL, and MCI seem to be jinxed as bases no matter what I do. Its almost eerie that I have not been able to sustain a base at any of those places. I'll have lots of money and small load factors or vice versa. Just odd that it happens alot with those cities only. I'm sure its something I've done wrong, but its happened so many times at those 3 cities.

L1011fan

• Former member
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2010, 01:44:20 AM »
On the other hand, I found it impossible after operating a mostly regional airline to come up with the money to open a new base airport.  It looks like an easy move for the big boys, but us little operators are on the outside looking in.
Amen.

L1011fan

• Former member
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2010, 01:48:06 AM »
Withe regard to A-B-C-B-A or A-B-C-A routes - how are they handled in the real world?  I would think that an airline that is not hubbed at an airport pays considerably more fees than one that is.  Maybe you could implement a significant increase in slot, office, passenger and landing fees for those airlines that are just operating connections through an airport but are not otherwise based or hubbed there?  I would think this would tend to discourage "outside" airlines from "sniping" routes unless those routes were truly worth the cost (in which case, the airline based or hubbed there should rightly have taken steps to acquire that route before an "outisder" even contemplated it).  

I think there is a case to be made for both the new hub system and the ability to fly connections through a non-hub airport.
Agreed. I don't think all games should be limited to having  only hub airports to fly thru and only having tech stops. I think possibly a "cafeteria style" game (limited menu to start) and have all options open and let players decide how they want to go about routing their planes. Take what you like, and leave the rest.

L1011fan

• Former member
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2010, 01:48:56 AM »
Ok, I'll shut up now. Its just I still like many of the earlier ways things were done.

Offline raptorva

• Members
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2010, 04:48:02 AM »
I found a new niche market in Malaysia to fill so my order book represents it. I should be opening a base very soon now...

Offline Daveos

• Members
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2010, 04:30:41 PM »
I am currently looking at options to open a third base and wanted to open the third base with aircraft currently based at my second base.  It seems I can only move aircraft from my HQ to the new third base. 

Is this intentional, so I'd have to rebase my aircraft from my second base back to HQ and then rebase at third base?  I don't mind doing this, but wondered if it was planned this way?

Cheers,

Dave :)

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2010, 04:54:07 PM »
intentional, but haven't given any "real" thought to that. So it may well be changed if needed.

wtdawg

• Former member
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2010, 02:31:56 PM »
Question:

If I order aircraft before opening my new base, when I do eventually open it can I change the delivery of some of the planes in the production queue to go there (the new base)?

Thanks.

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2010, 02:34:47 PM »
you can change the destination of the airplane if there is more than ~6 months until delivery.  BUT expect to pay a TON more for the plane.  You are better off just waiting.

wtdawg

• Former member
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2010, 05:00:07 PM »
So - sorry I haven't done this before - I can just take delivery at my main HQ and then transfer to my other base for some sort of fee?  (I haven't opened a base yet so I don't know the options, but I'd like to plan for them)

Offline Daveos

• Members
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2010, 05:02:02 PM »
So - sorry I haven't done this before - I can just take delivery at my main HQ and then transfer to my other base for some sort of fee?  (I haven't opened a base yet so I don't know the options, but I'd like to plan for them)

That is correct.  It seems to be less than 5000 USD for the transfer per aircraft so far.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2010, 07:28:28 PM »
The base change on delivery will change also, probably to something like -1month of delivery date. (possibly)

Offline Daveos

• Members
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2010, 07:32:25 PM »
In terms of opening a new base in one of the world's top 20 airports - if we are based in a smaller airport, are we then allowed to open up in one of these 20 airports?

It would seem odd to stop smaller airlines opening a hub in the top 20, but if we are allowed then this is an extremely good twist to the worlds.

Cheers,

Dave

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2010, 07:34:36 PM »
It's a "bad" feature yes.. Plan would be to implement the base restriction based onthe number of airlines and aircraft based there. So let's say LHR could accommodate 500 aircraft based there (just some figure that 500.), and if you'd like to base there you would need at least x% of open slots and also x% of available "apron capacity" before you'd be allowed to open the base (= to check if there is room for you at all). But basically that does not change anything compared to the current rule in the MOST popular airports anyways...

wtdawg

• Former member
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2010, 08:03:26 PM »
I appreciate the answer to my Q's.  Thanks for the help!

I was thinking that perhaps the cost of opening of a new base could be determined by the size of the base.  The larger the airport, the higher the fee.  Perhaps to take away any advantage to those who opened their HQ's in the top airports it could be a fee based on the size of "both" the current HQ and the new base.

Just a thought.  

Oops... just read the rules....

Never mind.   :-[
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 08:13:04 PM by wtdawg »

Dookz

• Former member
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2010, 06:43:19 PM »
As far as the top 20 large airport restriction, maybe changing it to something that's flexible so the different strategy that can be played with your first airport, and to a greater degree in the country or economic zone isn't limited while still maintaining some level of that top 20 restriction and leave it up to the airline to use their judgment whether or not they will be able to operate reasonably with the remaining slot availability. So it would be....An airline is to have no more than 1 top 20 airport, whether it is your HQ or one of your base. If you started at an airport not in the top20 (country/single aviation market still applies) say KSAN, you may create a base in one of the top20 airports later for example KLAX. If you started in KLAX, you may not create a base at KORD or any of the US airports in the top 20.

I think this gives an incentive to some to spread out, to start at a relatively less crowded airport in the early game.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 06:54:21 PM by mini airbus »

GMas

• Former member
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2010, 01:45:32 PM »
 b) the date when multiple bases are allowed in EU was when the openskies come into force there, I guess it was 2002 or so. These will be added later, meaning you cannot base into other EU country before that.

Ok, that makes sense. But if that is the case, how is it that  Lauterjung Logistics, based in the UK, has bases in Italy and Spain?

boch

• Former member
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2010, 10:48:54 PM »
you can change the destination of the airplane if there is more than ~6 months until delivery.  BUT expect to pay a TON more for the plane.  You are better off just waiting.

That is not always the case.  Prices go both up and down.  If demand, and thus the price, has dropped since your initial order, you can earn a refund by changing the delivery base of the aircraft.  The cost to rebase the aircraft can be outweighed by the refund due.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 12:29:30 AM by boch »

Online PH1517

• Members
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2010, 02:44:29 PM »
Its definitely a nice step forward.  :)
Eventually I would like to see the ABCBA type routes to be combined with the base system.

My only minor thing is concerning the rebasing of aircrafts; it costs about $5K to do when the aircraft is already within your fleet but will cost you about $150K if you simply want to change that within an order of new aircraft, ie. I am ordering new 757s to be based at JFK and to simply change the destination to my other base SFO, that will cost me $150K.  So I must wait till the aircrafts arrives at JFK and then rebase it for $5K.  Is this normal?

GMas

• Former member
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2010, 01:54:43 AM »
Ok, I have a question. Why is it that I can only open up a second base in Czechosloavakia (my base country), but Stuair (based in France) can open up a second base in Spain and Lauterjung Logistics (based in the UK) can open up second and third bases in Spain and Italy?

*I'm just using those airlines as examples, I'm sure there are many more like them in terms of bases and I have nothing against Stuair or Lauterjung Logistics.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.