Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: A game of Skill and Patience... isn't that fun?  (Read 1294 times)

nlgravity

• Former member
A game of Skill and Patience... isn't that fun?
« on: April 29, 2010, 02:19:32 AM »
I got very sick of reading the forum for TMT2 because all you see is people complaining about the game being slow and boring and difficult.
I have a new twist on this new game structure:

1- None of the players here get paid for creating and managing an airline (unless you're Sami). In fact, we all pay to play. So this new (slower) game mode allows all of us to succesfuly run an airline without having to seat next to the PC all day tweaking our long-term decisions.

2- If the game was an undiscriminating race to the new route with barely enough demand to fill 1 plane (as in previous versions) you don't get to plan and execute a long-term strategy and seeing the dividends later on.... that is the most satisfying part!

3- Scarcity of used aircraft is a key improvement! Instead of dumping routes on 5 aircrafts at a time.... now you have to plan and squeeze every drop of juice out of each aircraft, which (in my opinion) is fun and challenging.

4- Many of the glitches in the past are fixed. Now you must be into real economic simulators to enjoy the game... more skill and knowledge involved. That should attract better players and make for interesting worlds ahead.

LASTLY - Instead of looking for immediate ratification out of your routes.... start by looking 6-months (game time) ahead and ONLY JUDGING your decisions by then. When you start a new route you have an upfront cost (navigation, etc).... you should only see the real result in the long term. Have patience.... is a lot of fun!

Offline CVACEO

• Members
Re: A game of Skill and Patience... isn't that fun?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 02:46:02 AM »
Well stated and I agree whole-heartedly.  v1.2 is a much more realistic simulation then the previous version.  I love it.

pattN

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 08:35:03 AM »
my words....+1

DenisG

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 09:26:07 AM »
I love it all the way! To quote Tom Cruise "AWS completes me..."
 ;D
Denis

Offline Daveos

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 11:24:19 PM »
I got very sick of reading the forum for TMT2 because all you see is people complaining about the game being slow and boring and difficult.

1- None of the players here get paid for creating and managing an airline (unless you're Sami). In fact, we all pay to play. So this new (slower) game mode allows all of us to succesfuly run an airline without having to seat next to the PC all day tweaking our long-term decisions.

2- If the game was an undiscriminating race to the new route with barely enough demand to fill 1 plane (as in previous versions) you don't get to plan and execute a long-term strategy and seeing the dividends later on.... that is the most satisfying part!

3- Scarcity of used aircraft is a key improvement! Instead of dumping routes on 5 aircrafts at a time.... now you have to plan and squeeze every drop of juice out of each aircraft, which (in my opinion) is fun and challenging.

4- Many of the glitches in the past are fixed. Now you must be into real economic simulators to enjoy the game... more skill and knowledge involved. That should attract better players and make for interesting worlds ahead.

LASTLY - Instead of looking for immediate ratification out of your routes.... start by looking 6-months (game time) ahead and ONLY JUDGING your decisions by then. When you start a new route you have an upfront cost (navigation, etc).... you should only see the real result in the long term. Have patience.... is a lot of fun!

Very nice :)  Someone else that actually understands delayed gratification.  I salute you sir.

jumpe

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 11:34:30 PM »
+1   ;D

nlgravity

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 01:58:50 AM »
I love it all the way! To quote Tom Cruise "AWS completes me..."
 ;D
Denis

To quote Jack Nicholson: "AWS, you make me want to be a better airline manager"
 ;D

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 09:52:15 AM »
Glad to see a thread of praise rather than bashing v1.2. I prefer the new simulation and agree wholeheartedly.

You can still be successful, I think a lot of these players should look in the mirror rather than out the window to see who is to blame for the failure of their airlines.
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

Offline MM21

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 04:25:09 PM »

so that you think that we all have to sit in front of computer for 24hours and wait for next plane I'm willing to have?
I even refresh the page for every 30sec or 10sec by installing firefox addon, 5 hours passed still no aircraft I can get.
We don't have to work?We don't have real life issue like school project to deal with?

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 04:33:39 PM »
so that you think that we all have to sit in front of computer for 24hours and wait for next plane I'm willing to have?
I even refresh the page for every 30sec or 10sec by installing firefox addon, 5 hours passed still no aircraft I can get.
We don't have to work?We don't have real life issue like school project to deal with?

Im employed full time, part time on weekends (only a few hours), Im married, I have a house to keep up.  I didnt create my airline with used A/C at all.  I only have collection of A300s and 727s

kone_alta

• Former member
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 04:41:34 PM »

Scarcity is so true that I have to sitting in front of the computer for over 12 hrs per day and reload the used aircraft page every 15 seconds to get as much used plane as possible(when it was put onto market and it will disappear withing 30 second). Yes, my job allow me to open airwaysim to do so while doing my job, but not every player is lucky (or say, as free as you and me). Is that what you mean to squeeze every plane in both scheduling and in market?  ;)
I dont think the current new plane production scheduling can fulfill the expanding demand of aircraft companies, so yes, we've successfully making the market in scarcity because no one can expand with enough new planes until the game world ends. It will be so challenging because the leased used plane will getting too old to fly before new planes arrive.   ;)

Offline type45

• Members
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 05:31:29 PM »

limited used plane is not a big problem, the new plane system make even bigger problem ;)

I like some of the new things in V1.2, like the departure time limit is a good improve and make it more realistic; the multi base system make it more challenging (although i don't like the remove of multi legs ;) ). But the delivery system of new plane really make me mad. I can understand every airline can only take 1 planes every month, but is this needed when the line is almost empty?

Even the delivery time is much slower now, big airlines still order more-or-less the same amount of planes. They have to wait for a longer time means the line will be clear later, this is no good to small airlines or late comer at all......and big airline will release planes later at the same time, the supply of planes will be even less. I don't think the old player advantage is weaken but even stronger now......

L1011fan

• Former member
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2010, 05:31:48 PM »
I've got to agree. I think that some people (like me :laugh:) get over eager like in past games (maybe rather than saying they're bored). It's teaching me patience, I will say.  :)

L1011fan

• Former member
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2010, 05:33:03 PM »
HEY! Which assembly lines are empty!!!??? ;D

L1011fan

• Former member
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2010, 05:38:01 PM »
One last thing, one item that I do think is true, is that the scarcity of planes is due, in part, to where the player lives. I have been lucky a few times around noon in California, but more often than not, I think many planes get gobbled up while I'm sleeping ;). Not to say thats happening all the time, but I do think it plays a notable part in who gets what aircraft and when.    :)

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.