Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Possibility of set up a commuter airline?  (Read 2285 times)

mikk_13

• Former member
Re: Possibility of set up a commuter airline?
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2010, 06:01:12 PM »
Is it possible to make money flying to a destination that has demand of about 50 per day once per day with a dash8 or something similar. Or will the staff costs kill you?

Offline CVACEO

• Members
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2010, 06:23:33 PM »
I do it now out of KPDX to multiple locations, although I use the Embraer 120.  The key is to choose routes that allow you to turn the seats over a minimum of 6-8 times per day - that means each aircraft needs a minimum of 3-4 flights per day, 7 days per week (during hours that people really want to fly - no 00:00 - 05:00 flights.  Typically, this means choosing routes that are about 300nm or less.  And fly to each distination at least twice per day (an AM and a PM flight).  If you are already flying Dash 8's then adding another couple won't hurt you much.  If you are thinking of adding Dash 8's just to fly short-haul then make sure you have enough short-haul flights to justify it or fleet commonality will eat up lots of profit.

jpl_3008

• Former member
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2010, 11:11:16 PM »
I do it now out of KPDX to multiple locations, although I use the Embraer 120.  The key is to choose routes that allow you to turn the seats over a minimum of 6-8 times per day - that means each aircraft needs a minimum of 3-4 flights per day, 7 days per week (during hours that people really want to fly - no 00:00 - 05:00 flights.  Typically, this means choosing routes that are about 300nm or less.  And fly to each distination at least twice per day (an AM and a PM flight).  If you are already flying Dash 8's then adding another couple won't hurt you much.  If you are thinking of adding Dash 8's just to fly short-haul then make sure you have enough short-haul flights to justify it or fleet commonality will eat up lots of profit.

So true. I'm out of DCA with some EMB 120s, where some do up to 10 segments a day. I think it is the only way you can make it work and still make enough to move to bigger planes.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.