Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Tips on profitability?  (Read 1229 times)

deafpilot

• Former member
Tips on profitability?
« on: April 26, 2010, 07:52:59 PM »
So, I just started up in MW#2 after buying 50 credits, then watching the player count. It was at 500/500 for days, then today I finally saw the magic "499/500"... jumped at the chance to get into it, and got it! Woohoo!

So, I went ahead and based myself in Denver, and leased myself a DC-8-53, and I have a second DC-8-53 being delivered in a couple weeks.

Having about $1.4M left after those two Douglas aircrafts, I paid down the starting loan by $1M.

While "Douglas One" is in the shop bringing the condition up to 90%, I set up a Denver/Gatwick route, flying every day except Sunday (Sunday is my A/B check day). 3 weeks out of the month, I have her flying out to Seattle & back, then to Detroit and back on Sundays.

"Douglas Two", when delivered, is set up to go into service flying Denver to Orlando, Boston, and Salt Lake City.

Prices are knocked down about an average of $30 from the default price.

What I am wondering, is while I did okay in the demo game, I can't help but wonder if my routing is smart? Can ya'll share better recommendations on my route set-up?

I am still a couple of days away before Douglas One comes out of the shop and goes flying, so we'll see how the profitability and loads look later on... but just wondered if I could get some insight.

Also, I read something about someone converting to all-business class for better profitability... is this true?

mikk_13

• Former member
Re: Tips on profitability?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 08:04:21 PM »
try fly a route 7 times a week. This increases route image faster.

keep the money from the loan. you need it to expand. You are better off using it to get another ac then pay the loan down.

don't depart between 2300 to 0500.

everyones loads are bad at the start. You just have to be patient and let them build up. it will take a few real time days before things turn around.

mikk_13

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 08:11:22 PM »
Also, you are flying routes that already have plenty of supply. there is no point putting 180 seats on a route that only has 100 demand.

If you are new to the game, i would suggest starting off in a small base with no competition. You can build a base later and take on the big guys but at the moment it will be very difficult.

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 08:12:08 PM »
dont leave a schedule blank during b checks.  You can have a flight there.  Right now, however, it really isn't too necessary as flying one day per week really wont help your route image.

DC8s WERE good planes.  They are severely outdated now.  You will need to make some money asap and start ordering a 767 or something of similar range if you want to continue to go to Gatwick.

Also, consider getting some short range props.  Really saturate the 50-400nm market with them.

You don't need to waste too much money bringing condition up when you are just starting an airline.  Condition really only affects your CI which is 5 at the moment.  

More short flights is better than a couple long ones.  

Lastly, try to NEVER take off or land between 0000h and 0500h LOCAL time...  You can have a flight take off at 2230 in LAX and land 4.5 hours later in JFK after 0500 (because you pick up time goine east)

Look at my scheduling for some ideas:

deafpilot

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 08:13:12 PM »
Already paid the money back... realize now that I should have kept it but oh well.

I am actually going back into my route planning and redoing all the routes. I realized that the demand was quite a bit lower than my seats available. Not good...  :-[ Should've planned this better!

Would I be better off cutting the 5 credits as a loss and starting over again, keeping the loan, getting several smaller planes, and working out of a smaller base?

Cluseau

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 08:17:46 PM »
If you bankrupt your airline you don't have to pay the 5 credits again, you can start up in a new city or whatever as a new airline without actually leaving the game.

deafpilot

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 08:20:47 PM »
Oh? I thought I read that you'd have to leave and re-join... is that only if you bankrupt 3 times?

I'm going to adjust my routing and see how it works out. If it just doesn't materialize then I'll start over.

deafpilot

• Former member
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 08:27:56 PM »
Okay so here's what I did instead... now that I understand how the route planner works  :-[

I put her on two flights a day, 7 days a week, one to Oakland and one to San Jose. Oakland's demand works out alright, except for the Denver-Oakland on Wednesday... but the demand coming back on that day is good so I left that alone. If Oakland doesn't have good profitability, I'll change it to something else.

She is gonna start flying today so I'll give it a couple weeks and see how it goes. I put Douglas Two on the San Jose route as well as there is enough demand for a second DC-8, as well as setting up a route to Omaha.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 08:41:02 PM by deafpilot »

Offline CUR$E - God of AirwaySim

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 08:42:29 PM »
@ swiftus27

No time between the last flight and A-Checks? I thought there should be the "1% delay"-rule, too but one can fly immediately after the A-Check ends.

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 11:39:27 PM »
Nope, it is fine to go right away.  Sami confirmed you dont need time between checks and flights.  You can go in right away

deafpilot

• Former member
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 11:44:34 PM »
Scheduling worked out fine... Loads are kind of low though... going to give it a real-time day or two and see how they improve, if at all. Just the last four game days slammed me and put me from $300k to $-$240k.

Offline ekaneti

• Members
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 11:48:39 PM »
Hi Deafpilot and welcome to the game:

You can bankrupt 3 times before you have to pay back in with 5 more credits.

Here are some observations:

This game will be much much harder than the demo games
DC-8s in 1986 will be tough to make $$ on. Especially the -55s are fuel hogs and MX will be high
Try to fly a route as often as demand will allow. This will allow your RI to increase quickly and your LFs will increase too
Youre discounting seems reasonable
Advertising. Try Billboards and Newspapers first for one month
Dont pay off the loan right away. Wait till you have at least $5m or so in the bank

Talentz

• Former member
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 12:14:44 AM »
Continuing what Swifty was saying, routing is very important to the bottom line. Keep the aircraft flying as much as possible. For LH aircraft, make sure and fly LH routes. With 2 DC-8s, you should look into putting them on a LH European route, 2x daily. You can squeeze about 4100nm out of them before B check time causes problems.

Here is a pic of my 707s flying 3100nm LH + a 200nm SH route to "fill in" the dead time gap.

Older aircraft make money too if used right!

Talentz

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.