Airwaysim Demotivators:

Started by swiftus27, April 21, 2010, 03:34:46 PM

Maarten Otto

Now on our favourite smart-phone without flash as well.... check it out.

pascaly

I found one of these while looking for the other. ;D

[attachment expired]

pascaly

Another "Soviet Reversal"

[attachment expired]

pascaly

Not one of my best efforts..... :-\

[attachment expired]

pascaly

Pike

Thought I should post this here as well...

ACDennison

Watching movies, browsing forums and browsing used fleet... leads to surreal humour!  ::)

[attachment expired]

alexgv1

Random one.... (and hopefully a revive?)

[attachment expired]
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

MattDell

Quote from: Maarten Otto on February 15, 2011, 01:57:16 PM
Now on our favourite smart-phone without flash as well.... check it out.

Was this taken down?  I just searched for it and nothing came up. :(

Maybe it's not available in the US store?

alexgv1

Quote from: MattDell on February 28, 2011, 11:35:10 PM
Was this taken down?  I just searched for it and nothing came up. :(

Maybe it's not available in the US store?

I'm sorry Mr. Otto wasted your time... it was a spoof.

There is no AWS app (never was), and most likely will not be.

MattDell

Quote from: alexgv1 on February 28, 2011, 11:37:34 PM
I'm sorry Mr. Otto wasted your time... it was a spoof.

There is no AWS app (never was), and most likely will not be.

:(

Is Sami against the idea?

alexgv1

Quote from: MattDell on March 01, 2011, 12:10:44 AM

I don't think he has anything personal against Apple or their users.

But it is so expensive to develop a standalone app as it is.

There has already been some discussion on the forums, probably the feature request ones.

Have you tried using it on Safari? It works good enough, except the fiddly buttons!

JumboShrimp

Quote from: MattDell on March 01, 2011, 12:10:44 AM

I think the vast majority of users would be against it too.

The bottom line is that the time it would take to develop an iPhone app would be time subtracted from development of web based app.  There are only so much in programming resources available...

If you look into the Features Request subject, you will see long list of features that the users would like to have in future versions.  Given a choice between year+ detour developing for iPhone and enhancing existing web app, most users would opt for keeping AWS a web app.  Developing the whole new app for iPhone, thand doing double work on 2 different versions is just not economical.

Also, the iPhone/iPad market is tiny.  Android already surpassed it, and there is also a new Windows Mobile platform....  So there is a lot of fragmentation.  And all these devices can already use AWS using their built in browser.  I have used AWS on iPhone using the Safari browser.  It is acceptable for a quick look, a few adjustments...  But AWS really needs a fullsize screen for a good end user experience...  A custom app would not really help that much...

alexgv1

Would sami develop the app himself?

Surely an outside contractor would be drafted in, as has been currently done for the new UI.

murloc787

Then you need to develop an android app, blackberry app, windows phone app etc, I think a mobile version of the site is a much better idea. The current mobile version of the site is only really useful on a device the size of an iPad though, a smaller version could be more useful on phones. Also the route demand graphs do not have a "javascript fallback" right now which would make the mobile site pretty much feature complete.

Sami

No, there is no sense in making a dedicated app just because it's fashionable these days for every possible thing even when the same thing can be done (better?) with the regular browser.. And some other reasons, posted before:

https://www.airwaysim.com/forum/index.php/topic,27739.msg142619.html#msg142619

But in my mind it all comes down to basically the fact that AWS is not a simple gamey click-game but the interface is more complicated; and making it work properly in a same manner like other small apps is difficult if not impossible. Only thing what could work is some light version but that's again a bit of a waste then. (Converting some facebook type game into phones would be different thing; and majority of apps are just of that 'very simple' level..)

swiftus27

Quote from: sami on March 01, 2011, 12:54:32 AM
No, and there simply is no sense in making a dedicated app just because it's fashionable these days for every possible thing even when the same thing can be done (better?) with the regular browser..

https://www.airwaysim.com/forum/index.php/topic,27739.msg142619.html#msg142619

You have enough time to make your own app.  Don't keep filling our heads with this 1.3 nonsense.  We want APPS!

MattDell

JumboShrimp

Quote from: alexgv1 on March 01, 2011, 12:44:05 AM
Would sami develop the app himself?

Surely an outside contractor would be drafted in, as has been currently done for the new UI.

I would not take the financial risk to do it.  Even supervising such development would take Sami's time away from web app development.  I don't think the financial reward is there for a project like this to even break even.

And then, if there was such an app, any UI changes would need 2x work.  Implementing and testing it on 2 different platforms.

And even Sami decided to write a platform specific version, iPhone would certainly not be a #1 choice.  My guess is that 90% plus of users are on a Windows PC.  Android would be a very, very distant 2nd, iPhone 3rd if not lower...

pascaly

Long story short;

[attachment expired]