Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Multiple Legs  (Read 2442 times)

Offline samsaunders85

• Members
Multiple Legs
« on: April 16, 2010, 07:29:06 PM »
I may be being really dumb here, but for some reason I can't schedule multiple legs like in previous games. For example, if I try and schedule, say, JFK-ATL-PHL, it doesn't let me. Unless, that is, ATL acts only as a refuelling stop with no passengers getting on or off.

Is there a way of getting around this or is this a new feature for the game?
Canada Airlines: Start Here, Go Anywhere

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
Re: Multiple Legs
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 07:30:34 PM »

Offline samsaunders85

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 07:37:49 PM »
Ah, I see, thanks!   :laugh:

pk_one83

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 11:31:20 PM »
thanks for posting the link... I was also wondering why the multiple leg flights didn't work out...

I think, to disable the multiple leg function is kind of a failure because no one will choose smaller airports in the first place if there are no multiple leg options... Furthermore, multiple leg flights are also carried out in the real aviation world... So I don't really see the point why they discontuined it, only because of the base airports that can first be opened after 18 months and cannot be at the top10 airports? ... To my mind, admins should reinstate this option on the long run...

Offline ekaneti

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 11:52:04 PM »
I am going to miss multiple legs. I can see why it was dumped. With dual hubs AND multiple legs a few big airlines could dominate the entire world. I am glad CABOTAGE has been done away with. Cant do it in the real world anyways (That would be like AA flying ORD-YUL-YHZ). I hope 5th freedom is still allowed

Offline ekaneti

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 11:53:44 PM »
ooppps...what a dummy I am. If there are no 4 legs flights then no 5th freedom...duh

Offline TK1244

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 12:47:29 AM »
thanks for posting the link... I was also wondering why the multiple leg flights didn't work out...

I think, to disable the multiple leg function is kind of a failure because no one will choose smaller airports in the first place if there are no multiple leg options... Furthermore, multiple leg flights are also carried out in the real aviation world... So I don't really see the point why they discontuined it, only because of the base airports that can first be opened after 18 months and cannot be at the top10 airports? ... To my mind, admins should reinstate this option on the long run...
People are crying due to the big guys are settling at their airports with second leg flights. Sami found a way to solve that and removed those second leg flights, but give us option to open hubs. And now people are crying because there are no options to start second leg flights. More you give people what they want, more they will cry for anything else. :S
It have been announced a time ago that second leg flights will dissappear (unless you use it for technical stops) and still there are people who start subjects like this? Can't you all search a bit around before writing down things like this?
I'm sorry if this comes aggressive to you... Don't take it too personally
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 12:50:49 AM by TK1244 »
TK Regional

Benz

• Former member
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 02:46:36 AM »
It's really stupid.  I tried to put in a flight YVR - YEG - YYZ.  It treats the glight like it a YVR - YYZ flight with a stop.  I don't show up as having available seats on the intermediate destination, nor can I control the price.  This is worse than the last game.  In the real world, airlines cannot make money flight only direct routes!

Offline mtnlion

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 09:01:16 AM »
Hey! What are you people complaining?! Read the manual and read the rules before you join the game! If you don't like it, don't play it. The multiple legs -system was not realistic as there were airlines that misused it.

In the real world, airlines cannot make money flight only direct routes!
And btw this is so BS!

Offline type45

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 03:13:26 PM »
The multiple legs -system was not realistic not because the player use the system, but the system cannot limit where can the players fly ;)

As the CEO of an airline based at SAEZ and completed TMT1, my conclusion on multiple leg system is: important to the airline based outside developed world. Except those go though 2nd or 3rd base, the second leg income is about 1/4 to 1/3 of my total income. During the difficult time, these income can make an airline away from trouble. My base is always attacked by other airline's second leg, but I think multi-leg is good more than bad.  Multi base can more-or-less balanced the problem of income reduce after no more second leg, but not every country can have more than 1 major airport. I think the result will be more people stay in the developed world and some smaller airports in developing countries , which are still able to maintain a middle-size airline in V1.11, will remain empty, at lease until the very late time of the world.

Really hope that next version will have something like freedom of air introduced and restore multiple legs

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 03:20:55 PM »
Really hope that next version will have something like freedom of air introduced and restore multiple legs

Probably at least 4-leg domestic routes to start with, as that's easy. (possibly even in v.1.2)

Offline highways1

• Members
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2010, 03:24:44 PM »
Probably at least 4-leg domestic routes to start with, as that's easy. (possibly even in v.1.2)

By all means add this Sami  :) Frankly, the domestic or common area 4-leg routes should be the only ones allowed. You don't see someone flying JFK-AMS-FRA if they're based in the US. If you're based in the US, you can only fly 4-leg routes in the US and if you're in the EU it's the same way. As far as the other economic blocks such as ASEAN I don't know how they work, but I would start with these routes. It would help get around the hub aircraft limits while not allowing airlines to attack hubs all over the world.

Offline type45

• Members
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2010, 03:38:57 PM »
that's much better if it can be added in V1.2 :)

By all means add this Sami  :) Frankly, the domestic or common area 4-leg routes should be the only ones allowed. You don't see someone flying JFK-AMS-FRA if they're based in the US. If you're based in the US, you can only fly 4-leg routes in the US and if you're in the EU it's the same way. As far as the other economic blocks such as ASEAN I don't know how they work, but I would start with these routes. It would help get around the hub aircraft limits while not allowing airlines to attack hubs all over the world.
how about the 5th freedom? ;)

I can accept a step-by-step introduction if the target is to set up freedom of air system in the game finally. (Of course do not take so long time I hope ;) )

4-leg domestic routes for domestic carriers is a good start.

samomuransky

• Former member
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 06:45:18 AM »

Domestic = does it mean that if I'll be based for example in Frankfurt, I can have multiple legs routes only in Germany or also in other EU countries?

Offline k900

• Members
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 10:48:16 PM »
It's really stupid.  I tried to put in a flight YVR - YEG - YYZ.  It treats the glight like it a YVR - YYZ flight with a stop.  I don't show up as having available seats on the intermediate destination, nor can I control the price.  This is worse than the last game.  In the real world, airlines cannot make money flight only direct routes!

You ever hear of JetBlue? Ryanair?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 05:33:54 AM by kieran900 »

Offline samsaunders85

• Members
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2010, 12:42:05 AM »
You ever hear of JetBlue? Ryanair?

Not particularly the case with Ryanair mate. When I was with them we would do multiple legs on a frequent basis. Its how smaller airports get to serve multiple destinations.

I appear to have started a rather heated discussion here and all with one post! But that's what I love about this game, freedom of expression and if we don't like something we still keep playing. I do miss the mult-legs a lot. I really like the idea Sami of doing the second leg as domestic only. So for example, an airline based in say, Germany can fly the first leg out of the country but the second leg must be to a German airport. I can imagine it would be a nightmare to program but certainly would be beneficial.

My worry is that the middle to upper airports such as Manchester and Vancouver will be swamped with players. There is little incentive to open at a smaller airprot at present. Having said that, I'm really enjoying the current game having spent a few months off!! Keep up the good work guys!

Offline k900

• Members
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2010, 01:05:54 AM »
What route does Ryanair serve that isn't thru one of their 'hubs'? I know they have loads of hubs, but it's still a hub.

Offline samsaunders85

• Members
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2010, 04:41:11 AM »
What route does Ryanair serve that isn't thru one of their 'hubs'? I know they have loads of hubs, but it's still a hub.

Yeah, thats true. Good point

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.