Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Events and crystal balls  (Read 2017 times)

highlander1715

• Former member
Events and crystal balls
« on: April 08, 2010, 08:52:51 PM »
Hi Sami,

I note it has just been announced that Nicosia's airport will close in 1974.  I wish I had that kind of crystal ball - then I would know that the Turks were going to invade the island and split it in two just short of the runway.  I well remember Regimental Corporal Major Kersting of the Irish Guards standing at the roundabout at the entrance to the airport turning back the Turkish M48 tanks as the UN base was already located adjacent to the airfield.  Spent almost a year with UNFICYP based at the Airport in 1976.

If your crystal ball is on full power perhaps you will announce the hastily developed Larnaca airport to open in December 1974 to carry the traffic the Turkish invasion disrupted.

Kind regards,

Graham

highlander1715

• Former member
Re: Events and crystal balls
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 08:54:21 PM »
My apologies RCM Kersting hailed from Ireland but served with the Blues and Royals of the Household Cavalry,

Graham

highlander1715

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 08:59:31 PM »
Sorry for the disjointed post - I didn't realize Larnaca couldn't take jets initially:

'Larnaca Airport was hastily developed towards the end of 1974 after the invasion of Cyprus by Turkey on 20 July of the same year, which forced the closure of Nicosia International Airport. The site on which it was built (near the Larnaca Salt Lake), had been previously used as an airfield in the 1930s and, subsequently, as a military installation by the British forces. Larnaca International opened on 8 February 1975, with only limited infrastructure facilities and a prefabricated set of buildings comprising separate halls for departures and arrivals. The first airlines to use the new airport were Cyprus Airways using Viscount 800s leased from British Midland and Olympic Airways using NAMC YS-11s. Initially, the runway at Larnaca International was too short for jet aircraft.'

From the Wikipedia article on Larnaca

I seem to remember that RAF Akrotiri might have been used as a temporary airport but that might have been for UN Military traffic and families only.

Kind regards,

Graham

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 09:06:43 PM »
yes, the crystal ball will also (automatically) announce the new airport soon (with automatic relocation)..

highlander1715

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 04:37:09 AM »
But not for jets i take it?

Hwoarang

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 08:58:55 AM »
As you maybe already know, the game doesn't include real events, like the Cyprus conflict. That is why the system has announced the closure of the airport.
Also, the game doesn't have restrictions of aircraft flying to airports only the runway/payload restriction ;)

Sami, I always thinked about what will happen if you are based on such an airport, like Nicosia? Will you be replaced to the new airport or does something else happen?

Offline psw231

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 05:31:52 PM »
 from what i have seen so far when an airprt is closed there will have been a previous announcement of a new airport opening in the same area made before the closure announcement. in the case of Cyprus i did not see an announcement going back in the events post back to 68 but as this was not a " planned " new airport i would think it is coded to open at the time it did in real world times, likely around the closure date. when the new one opens your airline and all of your flights will be moved to the new location, although you should check route notifictions to make sure all were moved. if another airport is planned in the same area and the first is not going to close quite often it is to split domestic/international routes and in this case you do not move and loose demand for one of these

ban2

• Former member
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 09:07:51 PM »
I think what is happened here is Larnaca was never planned for, normally what happens is, airports are planned long before opening. Larnaca was rushed through after the invasion so Sami has no historical data on Larnaca being planned, that is why no one has seen the new airport post becuase there was'nt one.

hope that makes sense

regards

Offline TK1244

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 10:23:19 PM »
I wish I had that kind of crystal ball - then I would know that the Turks were going to invade the island...
I think you could have known that the Turks would invade Cyprus. The Greek Cypriots where killing Turkish Cypriots and the Turkish Cypriots killing Greek Cypriots. Since the Turks where a minority on the island and the Cypriot government didn't do anything to protect them, it was only a matter of time before the Turkish army would invade the island ;) That the Turkish Army continued the invasion afterwards wasn't the best idea, but it stopped the unneeded conflict between Greek and Turkish Cypriots.

This kind of events are not introduced yet by Sami (hope he will do it in the future), the system automatically announced the closure of Nicosia Airport and will announce the planned new airport in Larnaca.
TK Regional

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.