Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Slot cost (Once again its hard for the regional lines)  (Read 2225 times)

Offline Beni

• Members
Slot cost (Once again its hard for the regional lines)
« on: March 16, 2010, 09:32:18 AM »
As you surely have read in my post, Im allways fighting for the regional companies. Im sure that the game simulation is not thought for the succes of this kind of airlines, but I like to play this kind of companies much more than big ones. Nevertheless, there are many things that make it almost impossible. The last one is slot cost.

Im trying to open a new flight BIO-AGP-LEN-AGP-BIO with a 30 seats plane. (30 daily seats offered between LEN-AGP). I fly another flights BIO-AGP with big planes and low slot cost. Now, when I try to open the new route I must pay 7300 a day for slots in AGP!!!!!! How is supposed a 30 seat plane has to pay in slots almost more than the tickets income?? How is possible that Im paying less for flying a 110 seats to AGP than a 30 seats??

With this kind of things, It is easy to understand that everybody want to play from the big hubs even when they are full.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
Re: Slot cost (Once again its hard for the regional lines)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 09:35:01 AM »
The slot cost is a one time fee, and you'll probably earn that (very small amount) $7300 in a single day..

Also, slot is a slot, it's irrelevant on what kind of plane you use on the route.

Offline Beni

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 10:05:43 AM »
The slot cost is a one time fee, and you'll probably earn that (very small amount) $7300 in a single day..

Also, slot is a slot, it's irrelevant on what kind of plane you use on the route.

30 seats x 110 USD = 3300 + 3300 (return) = 6600. I sell 6600 USD flying this route and I have to pay 7300 for slots in this route.

And this is not the worst example... If I try to fly from BJC to MAD the slots cost 12800 in MAD and 1800 in BIO (the base).

It is totally impossible to fly from or to small airports. The pax offered are no more than 30 and the slot cost are too high.

Im based in BIO, I fly all the routes with more than 60 PAX. My company is profitable and I can do administrative tasks to improve it, but with only 30 pax demand routes avaliables and with this costs it is impossible for me to open new routes.

What can I do now?

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 10:37:10 AM »
I have to repeat myself: You pay that $7300 only once.

You cannot expect each new route to be profitable from the day 1. There are, and will be, expenses for setting up a new route such as slots, marketing, etc. which are related to starting a new route or founding a new destination etc. (in reality it's even worse than here now)

But these fees are minimal compared to the incomes from the routes in the long term so there is nothing "impossible" in that when talking of the slot fees.

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 01:48:28 PM »
Sami, dont be too rough on the new guys.

and yes, slot purchases are a one time thing and not an ongoing cost. 

Offline Beni

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 06:43:55 PM »
Sami, dont be too rough on the new guys.

and yes, slot purchases are a one time thing and not an ongoing cost. 

Below the name of the author of each post, you can see the date of register. You can see that Im not so new, only a month newer than you.  :D

And Sami, Im sorry, I didntn understand the meaning of one time fee.

Anyway I still say that the game is not created to play regional companies. There are a lot of factors that favour the big ones even when they fly small pax routes.

Offline CUR$E - God of AirwaySim

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 07:02:49 PM »
This doesn't only depend to regional airlines.

Palma de Mallorca - Heathrow - Amsterdam - Heathrow - Palma de Mallorca (start 6:25am, A321, 75 min turn-around)

17.500+50.300+13.100+30.100 per day - earnings per day are 80k to 115k (full load), but you won't start with route image 100 and there will be competition. Small regional airlines in most times have no competition on their routes.

Also there are more parameter for calculating the one time fee:
- time for the slot (at night it's cheaper)
- how much slots are left at the specific time (so maybe it's cheaper to fly at 8:05am and not 7:55am)
- is the airport already served well. Is it not, then most times the fee is 0

I can understand what you say and I think small regional airlines should be supported in some ways. But, by the way, in my opinion your airline in EU2 isn't small and it's not regional.  :)

At the end: The fees aren't a problem for small airlines, the staff salaries are (like one can read in future request and general forums).

Kind regards from Palma to the man at Bilbao with the great company building!

Offline cutchie

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 09:13:35 PM »
I'm operating out of Stavanger with a fleet of ATR 42 and 72s with no more than 60 seats and I'm turning quite a nice profit and competing fairly successfully with some of the big boys, so it is possible, just not in every circumstance.

Offline Beni

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 10:46:50 PM »

I can understand what you say and I think small regional airlines should be supported in some ways. But, by the way, in my opinion your airline in EU2 isn't small and it's not regional.  :)

At the end: The fees aren't a problem for small airlines, the staff salaries are (like one can read in future request and general forums).

Kind regards from Palma to the man at Bilbao with the great company building!

Well... what is a regional company?  :P If you ask my shareholders they surely say you we are not a regional company. We are a national company.  ;D

And now... really... I think we are a regional one. Why? First of all becouse we are based in an airport class 3 or 4. (LHR is a class 1, MAD is a class 2, ALI is a class 3 and BIO can be a class 4.) Since the moment we choose to be based in BIO we are a regional company, becouse we dont have access to a big number of airports in Europe. After 1 year in game, I fly all the possible routes over 60 daily pax. And before 2 years I will fly all the routes over 30 daily pax. (Im sure I have forgotten one or two... but not more  :))

If you have a look to my numbers, my company is not bad at all with a good sell volume and a good profit. I can work in the company to make it more profitable with some changes, but with no new routes possible and not so many changes... what can I do in order not to be bored?

And there is another question. My company is profitable but is limited in USD becouse of the lack of destinies, so in the next years there will be a lot of companies bigger than mine that wont have any problem wasting mountains of USD to ruin my best routes and in 5 or 6 years my company will be closed. Im not crying about this, Im a defender of the free market but the simulation is not running ok when after a year I have more than 30 planes and more than 60 millions USD in cash.

Anyway, I love the game and I will continue playing out of the big hubs becouse I like the game this way. More planes to choose, more options to choose, more problems to solve... Seting a company in LHR at the beggining of the game and with a minimum of know how is a guarantee to be one of the big ones.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 10:49:36 PM by euskoair »

Offline GjedDa

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 08:59:54 AM »
Some here talking about routes whit more then 60 and more then 30 pax... im running from an Airport that has zero routes with more then 40 pax. Normal is around 25...
My problem is that in this case there is no "short Routes" Offcourse, I could stay with one aircraft and ...earn money :P but that would be Boring... Offcourse, Maybe i picked a wrong plane.. But still, I think there is something wrong when I have 2,o6 people working for each Seat I operate... There has to be a bug in system... Or is it like that in real life ??

Planes 7 : 29 pax planes = 203 seats Total
Personel : 420...
My planes run with about 70% capasity , and that is around max pax each day on 50% of my routes...

Offcourse Props is not good for "longhaul" but how should you survive on a small Airport with more then 2 hour gameplay total if you cant do more then fly to the nearest "big hub" one time daily and thats it..
But this is how the game is Built up..

Guess I will Join the party in JFK, ATL, LHR, AMS or another Big Airport next game.. and then the small airports can stay without any routes..

Offline CUR$E - God of AirwaySim

• Members
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 09:28:35 AM »
In real life Maastricht-Aachen Airport is very small, too. There are extreme limited routes and slots in real life, too. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maastricht_Aachen_Airport

Would you found an airline in real life at this airport?

It's not necessary to choose an airport like Schiphol or Frankfurt, but very small airports are, in my opinion, not the focus of AWS (and how it works) so it's hard to earn money there. Maybe in countrys with more airports in the game it is possible to earn money with domestic flights operating from such a small airport.

Offline GjedDa

• Members
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 09:38:01 AM »
I agree. But it should be possible. And I guess it is If I had another flight type..
But still, someone think its fun to be on AWS 2-3 hours each day and reaely do a big job, Others like I love to have a small little airline running from a small airport noone cares about.. and that I just need to check in on 2 min each day, maybe 10 min :)

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.