Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Hubs and slot problems-PHX is wide open  (Read 991 times)

Offline ekaneti

• Members
Hubs and slot problems-PHX is wide open
« on: February 20, 2010, 05:20:33 PM »
I noticed quite a bit of complaining about the lack of slots. While this is true at airports such as JFK, LHR and HND, this is certainly not true game wide.

Right now PHX, one of the US busiest, is wide open. Brazil has one of the best aviation markets in the world, with dozens of markets that can support multiple airlines and frequencies, yet few players choose to base in GIG, GRU, BSB or in neighboring EZE, SCL. I am in SMF, a smaller airport in California, but the city has numerous markets with over 100 daily pax. Same is true of SAT and AUS.

Players need to be more creative in picking markets and hubs and shy away from hubbing in the biggest airports in Europe or North America.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
Re: Hubs and slot problems-PHX is wide open
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 05:51:50 PM »
Wild idea. How about completely disallow basing at JFK/LHR etc. for some game?

Kontio

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 05:55:55 PM »
How about a system which suggests a starting airport for a new player? For example, a new player would be hinted that PHX is wide open. He/She would still be free to start at LHR or JFK, of course.

Offline ukatlantic

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 05:59:04 PM »

Wwhat?!?!?!!! and have the current complainers complain they cant base at their favourite airport?! It will never catch on :P.  Maybe SAMI the only thing you could do was like the ROTMA game where only 3/4 airlines were allowed to base at the major airports and maybe for the slightly samller ones allow only 2/3 airlines?  

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 06:01:30 PM »
How about a system which suggests a starting airport for a new player?

Planning that but not very easy..

Offline ukatlantic

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 06:02:24 PM »
How about a system which suggests a starting airport for a new player? For example, a new player would be hinted that PHX is wide open. He/She would still be free to start at LHR or JFK, of course.

I like this idea too! But how do you propose the system would suggest a base for a new airline?, Would it base its suggestion on the number of airlines already based at say JFK?  Some airports may be totally free and I've looked at these smaller ones before in previous games however my only issue was that the pax demand at some of the smaller airports was so poor it would make it unviable to base there.

Aahz the Pervect

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 06:42:25 PM »
Perhaps just adding a couple columns to the current 'select a starting spot' chart would help. Add them just for this 'starting spot' selection and not make them avail once company is up and running.

1) A total pax demand number and a % of demand currently being filled
2) Total Slots and % open
3) Total number of routes and average route size

Make it sortable by these choices and it may encourage more investigation into smaller airports w/no current activity.

Edit - While rereading for typos, a thought....Make it like the current new/used airplane selection process. A few drop down menu's where one can modify the airport list being generated by the previously suggested attributes.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 06:45:19 PM by Aahz the Pervect »

Offline ekaneti

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 09:17:08 PM »

ewwww...dont like that. It should be players beware if you are basing yourself there. I see that EWR is still quite open

Misterfeep

• Former member
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 10:47:42 PM »
I don't think it makes any sense to restrict the number of players that can setup shop at a location.  The market should do that on its own in time.  I think the issue is with carriers stuffing the slots early in the game with junk a/c just to secure the slots.  I am not sure how you address that given that we start with no existing carriers.  It's a sprint to fill the slots at the busy locations.  Like "musical chairs" there will always be a loser.  I think some plan for gradual release of slots might make sense.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.