Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Unrealistic...slots and airlines...more regulation required.  (Read 6815 times)

Offline TranceAvia

• Members
Re: Unrealistic...slots and airlines...more regulation required.
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2010, 06:47:36 PM »
and not to mention that since we used to make the worlds map we used to make our little island look bigger...

Branmuffin

• Former member
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2010, 07:45:09 PM »
Do you think LHR ran out of slots in 1966, so how did Virgin Atlantic, Emirates, Qatar and so on and so on get slots in the 80's, think before you talk man.....

I doubt that there were six different airlines hubbed at Heathrow in 1966.

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2010, 02:59:59 PM »
It is easy how they got more slots over that time.  Ground control improved radically.  Radar was refined.  More planes could take off and land. 

You didnt just have a few people looking out of the tower with binoculars any more. 

In the 80s, you had the advent of ATC, ground control, delivery control...  Processes and technological improvements allowed more use of existing infrastructures.

MunMaRu

• Former member
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2010, 03:11:21 PM »
Unfortunately us Brits love to complain about things so the chances of a new "mega" airport anywhere in the UK is slim to nil! Even a third runway at LHR is not that likely.

It's typical really, almost everyone who travels by air the UK moans about delays and cancellations but if you even hint at expanding an airport people freak out, it's just crazy!

Can you imagine what a beast of an airport it would be if you scrapped the five existing ones in favour of one huge one!! London's airports had a throughput of over 136million passengers in 2008!

LHR 67m
LGW 34m
STN 22m
LTN 10m
LCY 3m

New "Mega" Airport 136m!!??! Where would you build such a thing in crowded SE England?

Number of passengers will reach 200-300%  8)   but slot errr... 100+ ?  ;D

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2010, 03:21:37 PM »
Guys, why do you think the A380 was made?  It isnt that it is more efficient.  It is because there are no slots at many airports throughout the world. 

Offline Daveos

• Members
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2010, 01:32:06 PM »
It doesn't look like Heathrow's situation will improve in the near future:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8588220.stm

Offline JonesyUK

• Members
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2010, 06:43:22 PM »
It doesn't look like Heathrow's situation will improve in the near future:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8588220.stm

It's Stupid, The airport was there before the residents were, so it's their fault for moving next to an airport. International flights started in 1946. so how many of the residents were there before then?!

Monk Xion

• Former member
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2010, 07:04:31 PM »
Sami, I will come to your defense.

Some others sound like they are whining because someone is ahead of you.  

Don't you know what times airports like LHR and SYD are open by now?  Haven't people complained that LHR gets full too quickly in almost every game?   WELCOME TO REAL LIFE.  There are airlines whose biggest asset is slots at LHR.  These airlines will fly empty planes just to keep the slot because they are appreciating in value faster than the fuel they are burning.  

Why should LHR be open 24h in game when it isnt in real life?  

The prop ban idea is a joke.  As long as the airline owner pays the same amount to take off and land, he should be allowed to fly.

Wasnt it open 24hrs a long time ago?

Monk Xion

• Former member
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2010, 07:05:54 PM »
Number of passengers will reach 200-300%  8)   but slot errr... 100+ ?  ;D

why cant they just expand Stansted or Luton. The airports are surrounded by FARMLAND for crying out loud!

my 2 cents haha

Offline Daveos

• Members
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2010, 07:51:25 PM »
Unfortunately any airport that tries to expand in the UK produces a huge reaction by environmentalists.  In Luton's case, for example, groups like this instantly oppose any idea to expand the airport. Green belts are very sensitive areas, as there is inevitably a 300 year old cottage, farm or the like in the way  :-\

Stansted, despite its London prefix, is some 30 miles away from the City of London and so I don't think local and national authorities see it as a viable long-term option.  They seem fixated on keeping LHR as the world's busiest international airport.  It too also suffers with opposition groups -

Monk Xion

• Former member
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2010, 08:25:26 PM »
Unfortunately any airport that tries to expand in the UK produces a huge reaction by environmentalists.  In Luton's case, for example, groups like this instantly oppose any idea to expand the airport. Green belts are very sensitive areas, as there is inevitably a 300 year old cottage, farm or the like in the way  :-\

Stansted, despite its London prefix, is some 30 miles away from the City of London and so I don't think local and national authorities see it as a viable long-term option.  They seem fixated on keeping LHR as the world's busiest international airport.  It too also suffers with opposition groups -

point taken. its still better than building a brand new airport.

man in the usa we dont run into stuff like this as much....

Offline Daveos

• Members
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2010, 09:01:08 PM »
I quite agree :) 

I think maybe there should be a more co-ordinated approach nationwide to target certain airports for growth, but I don't think it's a high priority so nothing will happen until breaking point is reached.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.