Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Soviet Union  (Read 1078 times)

Stukov

• Former member
Soviet Union
« on: February 19, 2010, 04:08:55 AM »
I made the unfortunate choice to base in the Soviet Union...with a long range aircraft. Now, I understand the lack of flights to, say, Heathrow and western Europe. But there are also no flights to, say, East Germany? Poland? I have not done a whole lot of research into it, but it appers the only routes I can fly are domestic within SU. Anyone else see a problem? Or am I missing something?

Offline swiftus27

• Members
Re: Soviet Union
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 05:22:21 AM »
I dont think many people in the SU flew at all this time.  The Iron Curtain being up and all.  Yes, I know E Germany and the warsaw pact should have some pax demand but simply put.  They were too broke and too paranoid to let people move around.  You had to have papers to go from one SSR to another.

Stukov

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 05:29:44 AM »
I can buy that, but it just seems strange. Not one flight from Moscow to Berlin? Warsaw? Yet theres passengers for small middle of nowhere Russian airports? The limitation in game is clearly that there seem to be no international flights. I just was not expecting that...kinda cripples me with a large, long range jet. And I can't restart again. Just wanted to know if I was missing something

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 05:37:46 AM »
Exactly.  Do you know how many checkpoints it took to drive between

This is why 32 TU 114s were made, 165 TU 124s, 850 TU 134s...  Of these planes only the TU114 was international.  The Soviets didnt really make a plane until the IL86 came out and there were only 106 made of them (compared to 167 741s, 393 742s during this period) ... They've only made 23 IL-96s. 

But, their planes were limited for sale.  You had to be an Iron Curtain nation with some few exceptions of Japanese airlines buying some Soviet A/C.  Travel was extremely restricted back then.  Remember, they were all more or less police states.   Heck, a good pair of Denim jeans was considered extremely fashionable there at the time.   

Sorry, I could go on.  I got my undergraduate degree in Political Science.  I had a concentration on US International Security and Eastern Europe/Asian politics. 

Stukov

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 06:17:23 AM »
Denim jeans aren't fashionable?! ;P

I suppose I'll suck it up and BK if I can't pull things together. (Apparently I have one more left...yay...). Damned communism ;)

Kontio

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 10:25:30 AM »
I made the unfortunate choice to base in the Soviet Union...with a long range aircraft. Now, I understand the lack of flights to, say, Heathrow and western Europe. But there are also no flights to, say, East Germany? Poland? I have not done a whole lot of research into it, but it appers the only routes I can fly are domestic within SU. Anyone else see a problem? Or am I missing something?

Maybe you are missing the fact that if you wanted to fly long range aircraft you would have been better off starting at Sheremetyevo instead of Domodedovo?

pharmy

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 03:18:30 PM »
All International flights left from SVO 1

This is an old CIA doc showing the general state of Eastern European flying in the 60s

http://www.foia.cia.gov/browse_docs.asp?doc_no=0000494211

Ah found a 1965 one with much more detail

http://www.foia.cia.gov/browse_docs.asp?doc_no=0000313531

The last couple of pages has the route network of all the communist carriers (CSA's rivals Aeroflot).
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 03:47:44 PM by pharmy »

LOT767

• Former member
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 05:33:03 PM »
Communism, It's a party!

auerbacs

• Former member
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 05:40:05 PM »
Domodedovo only started taking a lot of international flights recently after it was renovated. Shryemetevo is a dump and Domodedovo is slowly taking Shryemetevo's traffic... but that's now, in 2010, so I don't think that Domodedovo is much of a viable hub in the late 60's, as much as its overall passenger demand might suggest otherwise.

Auerbacs

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.