Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Where is Iraq?  (Read 1717 times)

LOT767

• Former member
Where is Iraq?
« on: February 13, 2010, 06:41:27 AM »
I noticed Iraq is not in the worlds? Is there a reason behind this, just curious.

highlander1715

• Former member
Re: Where is Iraq?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 08:05:37 AM »

ICEcoldair881

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 03:23:00 PM »
@highlander

no, not Iraqi Airways. the Country Iraq! I noticed it too....I assume he wants to serve flights either from or to Iraq, so he's asking why it's not in the airports list. ;)

Yb

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 04:59:13 PM »
We reported it to sami several months ago. But the responce was that there are no viable data availible due to the war. If we found some statistics there were not "official" so sami rejected them :-/ Our argument that something is better than nothing was not seen as viable.

LOT767

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 05:19:36 PM »
Thanks all! Looks like I was not the only one that was curious. It answerd my Question!

highlander1715

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 07:24:49 PM »
@ Icecold

Doh!

If you had read the article instead of just the title it describes operations from Baghdad International Airport including among the incidents section the crash of a Viscount 773 at Cairo in March 1965 - so during the period of this game there were regular flights from Baghdad to Cairo operated by the Iraqi National carrier.  It also describes internal operations even during the Gulf War with Iran and Haj pilgrim flights to Muslim religious cities in the 90s.  It mentions flights between Baghdad, Mosul and Basra.

And if we are going to get picky we are operating a 1960s airline on a 2009 world map.  Many of the airports were not called what they are in the game for example, indeed many of the countries were not known by the names on the map in the game.  If quality of data is an issue how was Pyonyang modelled?

Surely a good enough approximation of demand could be created to include one of the most important countries in the Arab world?

ICEcoldair881

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 07:40:32 PM »
If you had read the article instead of just the title it describes operations from Baghdad International Airport including among the incidents section the crash of a Viscount 773 at Cairo in March 1965 - so during the period of this game there were regular flights from Baghdad to Cairo operated by the Iraqi National carrier.  It also describes internal operations even during the Gulf War with Iran and Haj pilgrim flights to Muslim religious cities in the 90s.  It mentions flights between Baghdad, Mosul and Basra.

And if we are going to get picky we are operating a 1960s airline on a 2009 world map.  Many of the airports were not called what they are in the game for example, indeed many of the countries were not known by the names on the map in the game.  If quality of data is an issue how was Pyonyang modelled?

Surely a good enough approximation of demand could be created to include one of the most important countries in the Arab world?

dude, you do realize that we aren't playing on a 2009 map. in the rise of the whatever game, it still has Czechoslovakia, Yugoslavia and the Soviet Union as it is only '93 or '94. and also, LOT767 wasn't asking about the real life Iraq, he was wondering where it is in Airwaysim. Obviously the airports need tweaking with "current" names, so when it is 1959 and you fly to New York, you would most likely fly into New York Idlewild instead of JFK, and Sami is trying his hardest to get everything implemented for V1.2 which will be coming out shortly. and I did read the entire article, thank you. :-\

Kontio

• Former member
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 07:45:35 PM »
dude, you do realize that we aren't playing on a 2009 map. in the rise of the whatever game, it still has Czechoslovakia, Yugoslavia and the Soviet Union as it is only '93 or '94. and also, LOT767 wasn't asking about the real life Iraq, he was wondering where it is in Airwaysim. Obviously the airports need tweaking with "current" names, so when it is 1959 and you fly to New York, you would most likely fly into New York Idlewild instead of JFK, and Sami is trying his hardest to get everything implemented for V1.2 which will be coming out shortly. and I did read the entire article, thank you. :-\

The actual map that you see is modern because it is what Google Maps provides, but that is just eye-candy.

ICEcoldair881

• Former member
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 07:48:15 PM »
yes, obviously, but the game uses to-date airport and country names so it isn't 2009......

but I know what you mean Kontio. :)

highlander1715

• Former member
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 09:11:36 PM »
Actually Dude, if you look down in the bottom right hand corner of the maps you will see the copyright 2010.  So there is a Czech Republic and Slovakia ON THE MAP although it appears as Czechoslovakia in the country list the same holds true for Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, Kosovo and Macedonia when you ask to map the airports of Yugoslavia, and the same goes for the modern constituent republics of the Former Soviet Union.

Pedantry aside the simple fact is that a nation of 35M people approx in the 60s which had a commercial aviation sector at the time is missing from the game.  Now lets try taking out any other 35 million country population lets say England or the State of California or a big chunk of south east Asia (for which I am sure there must be excellent commercial aviation data for this period) and suddenly the game seems to lose something.

I am not convinced that Iraq is the only country for which a little license might have to be taken to recreate commercial aviation traffic.  How reliable is the data of the period for Sub Saharan Africa or South East Asia for example?

LOT767

• Former member
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2010, 09:52:50 PM »
Sorry guys, I did not mean to start a heated debate. I was just curious what was the reasoning behind Iraq missing from all the game worlds. Someone did bring up Pyongyang and they have it in the game, I thought it would be lot harder for get info on them than Iraq.

P.S I did try to base an airline out of Pyongyang one time, didnt last to long...... ;D

ICEcoldair881

• Former member
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 11:08:07 PM »
Actually Dude, if you look down in the bottom right hand corner of the maps you will see the copyright 2010.  So there is a Czech Republic and Slovakia ON THE MAP although it appears as Czechoslovakia in the country list the same holds true for Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, Kosovo and Macedonia when you ask to map the airports of Yugoslavia, and the same goes for the modern constituent republics of the Former Soviet Union.

Pedantry aside the simple fact is that a nation of 35M people approx in the 60s which had a commercial aviation sector at the time is missing from the game. 

Ok, did you not just see that I said that it obviously was on a map (from Google Maps) that was dated to this, or last year, but that I WASN'T TALKING ABOUT THAT, and instead was saying that the LIST shows Czechoslovakia, USSR and Yugo.....and also, I probably know more than you do about the game since I joined a full YEAR before you did, so I think I would know where the map and everything is.....especially the fact that I was talking about the list and know already that the airports shown are shown in different countries on that map because it is dated to.....well, this month probably. :laugh: So, I suggest you read what I said before acting upon it. ;)

@LOT767 yeah, I saw you trying that one. was that in ATB1? or was it someone else who tried that.......I don't know. I remember a couple from Pyongyang that tried....one did do *fairly* well I think, but I might be wrong......the games just go by too fast for me to remember. ;D

ICEcoldair881

• Former member
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2010, 11:12:13 PM »
Also, the map, like Kontio said earlier, is just for eye-candy. Google Maps doesn't have a map that dates back to 1994, because there are new countries, cities, roads etc that have to be added and instead of making a WHOLE NEW MAP, they replace the old with the new. Refurbish it if you will.

highlander1715

• Former member
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2010, 11:17:53 PM »
@ Icecold
Having said "Pedantry aside" I feel I now have to quote you to clarify my comments on the map image versus the country list;

You stated in your post at 12.45:

"dude, you do realize that we aren't playing on a 2009 map. in the rise of the whatever game, it still has Czechoslovakia, Yugoslavia and the Soviet Union"

I was simply pointing out that the maps have no such countries while the lists which you did not mention in that post, contain the countries appropriate for each scenario.

LOT767

• Former member
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2010, 02:10:01 AM »
@ICE Yep that was me, coulda been someone else as well saw it there and figured why not. At least I didnt have to worry about competition though ;D

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.