Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: A question about Hubs, Spokes and Passenger Demand  (Read 2577 times)

acrolite

• Former member
A question about Hubs, Spokes and Passenger Demand
« on: January 28, 2010, 02:23:37 AM »
Hi all,

I'm a newb around here (just started playing the real, non-free game today). I've got a quick question that could make or break me... it basically comes down to asking how smart the game engine is.

Let's say I've got a hub at some medium sized airport in the midwest USA. I've got a nice route set up between my hub and a popular vacation spot down south, and I'm flying a pretty big aircraft.

Now, let's assume that I start flying a regional jet to a new small airport, also in the midwest. Is the game smart enough to know that, if a passenger wants to get from their small airport in the midwest to that nice vacation destination down south, then they can get there via my hub airport in the midwest?

In other words, does the game allow for feeder lines (and, thus, the traditional hub and spoke system)? In other, other words, does a route have more value than just the direct A to B passenger demand; instead it has value in terms of A to C via B...? Even if A to B and B to C are flown on different aircraft/different flights and may require a layover of a few hours in the hub airport?

Any info you guys can send my way would be great! Thanks!

Offline Sigma

• Members
Re: A question about Hubs, Spokes and Passenger Demand
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 02:38:07 AM »
In a word:  No.

There is no connecting passengers in this game yet.

acrolite

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 02:59:45 AM »
Awww... that's a shame. I was hoping the game would have it all...

Offline Name_Omitted

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 04:20:12 AM »
It will.

Offline schro

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 05:01:02 AM »
Your best bet would be to create a few focus cities in the high demand cities near your base and do A-B-C-B-A routings to help make up for mediocre demand at your base airport.

ICEcoldair881

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 05:13:04 AM »
check the demand between the commuter airport and your vacation destination. If there is no demand: there's your answer. If there is sufficient enough demand: FILL IT! it's that simple. do connecting routes if you have to. (like schro said: A-B-C-B-A) what airport are you based from btw? I might be able to give you route tips. ;)

acrolite

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 03:41:02 PM »
Well, yeah, the A B C B A routing is what I'll probably end up doing. But, that kind of negates the advantage I was shooting for by using a smaller (cheaper) aircraft to collect all the folks from the small regional airports within 90 minutes of my hub, bringing them to my hub and putting them all on the bigger aircraft. (The whole n-1 routes idea.)

I'm based out of KDAY, and I've got an ABCBA route already, but it's between much bigger airports.

I'll have to experiment a bit with a smaller aircraft to see what is worthwhile.

Thanks all!

ICEcoldair881

• Former member
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 07:16:25 PM »
oh. Dayton. can't help you then. :-[ sorry. I don't know Dayton as well as others. :P

Roper

• Former member
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 09:09:38 PM »
If i plan a W flight (A-B-C-B-A)
Will passengers also go from A to C?

auerbacs

• Former member
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 09:24:51 PM »
No, unless you've checked B as a refueling only stop.

Otherwise it's 4 distinct flights:

A-B
B-C
C-B
B-A

auerbacs

• Former member
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 09:26:36 PM »
That said, you can always set it to A-B-C-A and have two planes running in opposite directions to serve traffic between all three, or you can have one going A-B-C-B-A and another going A-C-B-C-A and that will effectively achieve the three way route you're talking about.

Roper

• Former member
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 09:51:45 PM »
so simple.... still i didn't think of that  :-[

thx for your help though

yukawa

• Former member
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 04:38:26 PM »
since we're already asking newbie questions, here are mine:

is there word out if and when it might be possible to create a 2nd base/hub?
when will new worlds become available (besides the EC2)? I assume it will be done after the 1.2 release? but when will that be?

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 06:01:10 PM »
is there word out if and when it might be possible to create a 2nd base/hub?
when will new worlds become available (besides the EC2)? I assume it will be done after the 1.2 release? but when will that be?

Hubs is a v.1.2 item: http://www.airwaysim.com/forum/index.php/topic,17430.0.html

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.