Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: General Feedback  (Read 7157 times)

Offline lastchancer

• Members
General Feedback
« on: January 24, 2010, 01:39:17 AM »
Awesome!

Totally new experience compared to all other running game worlds.
New (or better said old and almost forgotten) airplanes to experiment with, cope with tiny loadfactors...

Suggestion:
Due to the limited range of the airplanes in this time, long distance flights used to be done with a lot of stops in between, for exemple to fly from London to Hong Kong. That´s not possible just now. Maybe a 2nd technical stop would be a solution to make this possible. (I mean only fuel stop, not a third leg!)   

Offline elpiett

• Members
Re: General Feedback
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 05:59:57 PM »
The mighty DC-3 takes to the skies... 

But I must say, pax demand is very low. I'm currently flying from Brussels and have to note that a lot of destinations, even to larger cities, only have a 10-15 pax demand. Don't know how realistic that is.

I agree with lastchancer on the extra legs.  Flying long-haul in the fifties required quite some stops, it would be nice if we had the option to include some extra tech-stops

ReedME

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 06:04:42 PM »
Indeed, however elpiett remember that this is the 50's, the start of air travel for the general population, in most cases it couldn't be afforded! And not many people were that eager.

Offline Maarten Otto

• Members
    • My photo site
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 07:05:00 PM »
I am operating 6 return trips a day between Glasgow and Heathrow with a DC 3 and that is a bit more over the pax demand. Indeed a bit low.

Offline Daveos

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 07:18:51 PM »
The figures were very low at this time.  After some research into my aviation library :) I found an excellent book which has this paragraph. 

'In the first full year of peace after the war, the scheduled services by the world's airlines carried 18 million passengers, double the 1945 total, and in 1949 the total for the year was 27 million.  For some time to come the passenger total was to double every five years' (Baldry, D - A History Of Aviation).

If this is true, which I would assume it is being in print, the total number of passengers worldwide in 1952 would have been around 45 million.  This means in the game, we're effectively all fighting over London Heathrow's yearly total in 1993.

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 08:22:45 PM »
think of the technology changes that were in store for this era?

The advent of the Jet?

We would soon see the DC8 and the 707!!!!   

STARTING IN THIS ERA WOULD BE GREAT!

Would you spend money early to ensure you had planes?   Or would you wait a bit and hold onto that money until the jets start to come out and pounce on the explosion of PAX demand!?!?!?

This time could yield the most fun and would still be excellent as a 15 year game.  1954 to 1970 ... wow.

Offline Knud B

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 10:50:07 PM »
But I must say, pax demand is very low. I'm currently flying from Brussels and have to note that a lot of destinations, even to larger cities, only have a 10-15 pax demand. Don't know how realistic that is.
I think it is very realistic - however it should be possibel to have only a few flights a week toa each city and collect PAX from previous days... Not every route have connection every day - not then and not now.

I agree with lastchancer on the extra legs.  Flying long-haul in the fifties required quite some stops, it would be nice if we had the option to include some extra tech-stops
3-4 stops - and not only tech-stops. At that time most routes has stops with unload/load. Many airplanes did also have mail that should be delivered.
Knud Berggreen
City Air Service 
-

masoniclight

• Former member
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 06:35:20 AM »
LOVE this game (test).. you have to really think about your base, your routes.. and best of all: NO JETS and NO WIDEBODIES... so everyone has to work harder equally and other planes get used, not just MD, Boeing, Airbus.. love it, love it, love it.

jchaves

• Former member
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 01:02:00 PM »
Indeed, it's a lovely scenario. Quite well configured, in my opinion. A fresh change comparing with those massive "modern" scenarios where everybody ends in nonsense huge discount wars.

The only thing I'm missing is an airport in Azores, often used at that time to refuel Europe/North America flights.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 01:14:42 PM »
The only thing I'm missing is an airport in Azores, often used at that time to refuel Europe/North America flights.

Yea the problem actually with the class 4-5 airport restriction is just this ... the small techstop airports are prettymuch excluded.  Didn't think of that...

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 01:48:03 PM »
You can also talk about Pan Am clippers...  They would fly it via sea lanes. 

Also, I know I just posted it in another thread, but I would incorporate some night flying rules.  Dead reckoning is what was used then.

Offline elpiett

• Members
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 04:24:37 PM »
however it should be possibel to have only a few flights a week toa each city and collect PAX from previous days... Not every route have connection every day - not then and not now.
I agree. Maybe for these early scenario's it would be better to start of with a week-based pax demand in stead of a daily based one?  It is correct that in the early days of commercial aviation, lots of routes were only served a few times a week as there was not enough demand for daily flights.  But I guess that would create lots of new problems. :)

jchaves

• Former member
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2010, 04:45:25 PM »
Yea the problem actually with the class 4-5 airport restriction is just this ... the small techstop airports are prettymuch excluded.  Didn't think of that...

Other thing I'm wondering is why did you exclude Lockheed as manufacturer, and consequently the Constellation (and Electra) series.

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 05:00:08 PM »
I asked about the Connie before and never got a true answer other than it was outdated... well, its not now!

Offline maya666

• Members
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2010, 05:09:28 PM »
Thought it was because there wasn't enough confirmed data known in the database or not in the current game version.

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2010, 05:34:39 PM »
There is tons of data in the real world.   I just don't think Sami ever modeled it in the game.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2010, 09:43:15 PM »
This was mentioned in the game description... Electra is in database, connie not (yet).

jchaves

• Former member
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2010, 10:23:49 PM »
This was mentioned in the game description... Electra is in database, connie not (yet).

Right. My mistake, didn't remember the game description.

Online ekaneti

• Members
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2010, 10:37:09 PM »
The Electra didnt come out until 1959 I think anyway..maybe 1957. But it wouldnt be in this is game

tofen

• Former member
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2010, 02:27:21 PM »

Are we talking model 10, 12 and 14 Electras now or the L-188?
The 10, 12 and 14 should all be available long ago, they are about the same age as the DC-2 and B247.
Real bummer that there's no Connie though :(

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.