» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Fuel  (Read 1286 times)

mikk_13

• Former member
Fuel
« on: January 02, 2010, 11:44:59 PM »
Hi,

Fuel costs are killing my routes now. The long distance routes are really suffering. Especially ones using the A310.

What do you have to do to make money on long haul?

Offline Sigma

• Members
Re: Fuel
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 03:02:44 AM »
Make sure you're pricing is up to date.  Remember, ticket prices don't change unless you change them.  If you set those routes up years ago, all your costs have gone up since then as well as inflation.  The suggested price is now a lot higher than it was then.

Coming from someone who flies them more than just about anyone in the game, I will say that the A310 is NOT a plane for the less-experienced player.  It has a very low pax load for its operating costs.  They're often bought by less-experienced players because of the short production queue -- but that queue is short for a reason.  I buy them frequently for the same reasons, but I know when to get rid of them as well; so I buy them only to cover me until I can take delivery of superior options.

If you're flying it on shorter routes then the A321 is a FAR superior option.  If you're flying it on long, thin routes that the A310 is designed for, you're just going to flat-out have a hard time of it, particularly if you're leasing as it's quite expensive.  You've got a plane that carries fully 1/3rd fewer passengers than an A330 but uses just as much fuel, costs just as much to crew and operate, and costs 80% as much.  There really isn't better options out there though -- in real-life, and therefore in the game, there's not much of a market for aircraft with a 5000NM range that only carry 175pax because the costs per passenger to fly that far with so few people is just too much.

Offline type45

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 12:12:06 PM »
This is not limited to A310, even 762ER and 772ER have those kind of problem, I'm planing to drop all those routes and hope this can help......

mikk_13

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 06:02:53 PM »
ok, So i cut the routes and it is saving me a fortune. I couldn't even get the A340/330 to pull much of a profit so they went as well. I've decided to go with the 767-400. Although old, the old girl doesn't drink like the rest. They use about 1/5 of the fuel as the 777, although cruise slightly slower and way cheaper.

I'm also going to buy them and hopefully this will save the cash.

I've been using 757-3/400 for the routes less than 4000m and they work like a charm. My fleet of 737-400 are doing well also, I am slowly replacing them with ones i own to save money. I am not sure why people are buying the 737-800 in a big rush, the fuel saving isn't enough for the extra 20-25 mil for each plane.

aircanada

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 07:09:18 PM »
but the MTC Costs are also cheaper and you can get them on the used market right now for the B738

Offline Flightman

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 04:11:10 PM »
Key for this is that atleast u own your aircrafts. Dont lease! I can bet that it is more profitable own older plane than lease with high costs an airplane eats less fuel!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 04:13:36 PM by Flightman »
Vallin Airlines brings your destination closer

Offline schro

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 04:45:24 PM »
Key for this is that atleast u own your aircrafts. Dont lease! I can bet that it is more profitable own older plane than lease with high costs an airplane eats less fuel!

Ownership certainly has its advantages.  Even my owned MD-81's will be profitable up til about the $2000 fuel price mark - though, that that point, nothing is really profitable assuming revenue wont' increase to compensate for it.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.