Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Saturated Market  (Read 1371 times)

Offline LemonButt

• Members
Saturated Market
« on: December 29, 2009, 09:04:58 PM »
So I'm still a newbie to this game and I'm trying to ramp up the learning curve as quickly as possible which of course means playing as much as possible.  As a result, I started a 3rd game with Dawn of the Millennium and have already bankrupted a few times to relo to another airport.  After tediously researching an airport and moving there, I find I am basically too late to do anything.  My dilemma is first I only have $3 million to start.  Second, we all know you need a decent sized aircraft for your first route or you won't make money due to crushing overhead costs.  Third, is that every route with demand of 100 passengers or better has already been blanketed by existing airlines and the avail seats on the major routes usually are 2x the seat demand and the prospects of getting even 50% capacity are slim.  I have found a small handful of routes that have not been taken yet from a hub, but have given up on the hub as an airline wouldn't be sustainable on the slim pickings and huge disadvantage a startup has with company/route image against established airlines.

So the question is, what is a guy to do?

Offline Daveos

• Members
Re: Saturated Market
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 10:47:16 PM »
Hello,

I've had a look at your situation in DOTM and despite you managing to find an airport where no-one is based, it doesn't look like a good choice.  It closes at night too, which is never a good move.

There are plenty of large airports with no-one based there.  If you look on the airlines on map in this game, some European countries have no airlines based there and the same goes for some US states, the Middle East (Abu Dhabi for example has huge potential) or the Indian sub-continent.  If you can start up in one of these, then you can learn things very quickly.  There will be plenty of capacity from these airports.

3 million is plenty to start with - you can get a bit more with a loan too.  The used market has plenty of great start-up aircraft like DC-9s, 737-100s, 727-100s etc.  You can build up a decent fleet using these and then when you have enough money, you can then order new, or keep plucking better aircraft from the used market.

Competing with large airlines is always hard, but you can still make decent profits by undercutting them.  If the airport has 2 or 3 large airlines then you can sneak in for a while, as large airlines are extremely difficult to micro-manage.  By the time they've realised you're doing ok, you've made some cash and expanded a little, thus keeping you sustainable.  Expanding quickly is always key to a successful airline at the start I've found.

I hope that helps a little - most of it you learn through your failures.  Fleet commonality and capturing the business class market on routes are my main 2 tips :)

Dave

ReedME

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 06:33:02 AM »
This guy speaks truth, I'd say Abu Dhabi would be an awesome starting point, and trust me big airlines are near impossible to micromanage! haha good luck though

Offline mp81

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 09:47:31 PM »
I found this to be a problem. I eventually had to leave the market I was in because of established carriers/routes. after bankruptcy, i found a decent market with no airlines. However, i've been limited to trunk/regional service as the other carriers dominate traffic in/out of my hub to other major markets. good luck.

mpx express

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.