Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: What am i doing wrong??  (Read 2572 times)

Offline Davva9961

• Members
What am i doing wrong??
« on: December 29, 2009, 11:12:05 AM »
I know fuel prices have shot up....
But i have gone from a good profitable airline  (Davvair based LEMD) to loosing well over 150 mill in the space of 5 weeks. This is without much competition, profitable aircraft, and a young modern fleet!!!!!!!

Offline Unbornio

• Members
Re: What am i doing wrong??
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 11:19:42 AM »
Well.. your not the only one going down  8). Read the airline news, you'll see lots of big airlines have been a victim of this.

Just checked your page. Looks okay... but I think you acquired too many expensive, new leases. With that and extremely high fuel prices,  ???.

Otherwise, advertising too much or increased competition.. I don't see any other way...
Beta Tester

Offline LemonButt

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 01:46:47 PM »
I just started an airline a few days ago in the Rise game.  I have 3 leased Fokkers flying to 3 cities, 3 times per day.  I'm making about $125k net profit after going $1 million into the red for marketing expenses and then cutting back.  I'm still in the red, but crawling out of my hole $125k at a time.  I'm trying my damndest not to take any loans out and keep monthly expenses to a minimum, which is why I have the Fokkers.  Fuel costs will eat you alive as I've learned.  Check to see if there are any aircraft that are more efficient than what you're flying and make the switch :)  Other than that, not too sure what to tell you besides examine your income statement and try to find where the big differences are coming from.  If you have a decent wad of cash you may want to purchase aircraft your using as opposed to leasing as I've found the insurance savings from 90% hull loss to liability only (owning) saves you hundreds of thousands a week/month, if not more.

Offline Unbornio

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 02:11:10 AM »
Good news.. fuel is now at 793 USD.  8)
Beta Tester

jchaves

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 11:42:13 AM »
davvair, maybe you're focusing too much in vanishing away your competition, flooding all routes from madrid with an excessively large offer. I'm also based in madrid, so I'm "competing" in the same market, and noticed that you have routes with an offer 3 times bigger than the demand, resulting in having flights departing to the same destination within 5 minutes, in some cases. It keeps almost all the slots with you and "kills" any chance for the competition, that's right, but also "kills" you.

inyoka

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 05:09:28 PM »
It seems to be much harder to start the game midway through.  I have 6 ATR 72-200 (scheduled every available second), company image 41, load factor 82% & I am the only airline at my base airport (Large), and I'm still losing money.  This is my second start in this game.  I'm running out of ideas.

jchaves

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 06:46:45 PM »
It seems to be much harder to start the game midway through.  I have 6 ATR 72-200 (scheduled every available second), company image 41, load factor 82% & I am the only airline at my base airport (Large), and I'm still losing money.  This is my second start in this game.  I'm running out of ideas.

I'm losing money, too. But I'm not surprised, as I started late and I'm operating in a airport where the prior competitors overflowed all possible routes, specially the short and mid range ones.

inyoka

• Former member
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 08:14:04 PM »
is there anyone who started recently that is having any degree of success?

My advertising is killing me. Spending 600k a week (in addition to reduced fares) and I am only maintaining an image of 40. Flight punctuality, delays and cancellations are very good as well?

Offline mtnlion

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 08:32:05 PM »
inyoka you should probably start with bigger aircrafts and use only one type/fleet group. I saw you trying in MSP and I had nothing against it, I was actually disappointed when you declared BK.  :-[

My tips would be:
-Pick AC with low leasing costs (old 734 f.e.)
-Put it on the routes with high demand and make sure that it's in the air as much as possible
-Don't open too many routes at first
-Don't advertise too much (state/municipality is enough at first)

Offline Davva9961

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 01:46:32 PM »
I am doing fine now thanks, look at the stats pages.....As to flooding routes, the only places i am doing that with are Malaga and Barcelona, which have no based airlines and are close enough to use as hubs and still make good profits!!!!! :) :)

charger27

• Former member
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 02:35:53 PM »
Yep starting halfway through is next to hopeless.

inyoka

• Former member
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 03:09:58 PM »
I have reduced my advertising spending to 200k per week and I,n now starting to mak some money. My company image has started a very slow decline (about 2 points per 24 hour real time period), which is not bad considering the 400k cut.  My LF has actually increased by about 4% in the same period, but that can be attributed to the increased route image.

Will continue to tweak the advertising till the image stabalises. 

Now have to pay back the 7mil overdraft and I have a few C checks coming up.  Never a dull moment :) . I must admit, I am enjoying the attempt to turn the airline around.  Its maybe a good idea to have a gameworld where you start out with a small to medium sized airline in financial diffuculty and have to turn it profitable again.  Might be fun

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.