Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: [ok] Flight Numbers  (Read 3443 times)

jneil121

• Former member
[ok] Flight Numbers
« on: November 17, 2009, 12:10:33 PM »
Hi Sami

Im just curious be would be that hard to change the flight numbers, so that if they are used on Monday, and a different aircraft comes in to fly it on Tuesday that it can use the same flight number wihout getting the warning message that it has been assigned to another flight which flew yesterday.

Real world airlines do it all the time, with different planes operating each flight which has the same flight number everyday.

post back if you dont quite understand my rant.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 04:47:11 PM by sami »

flydreamer

• Former member
Re: Flight Numbers
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 09:43:08 AM »
absolutely agree with jneil121. how about that sami? can you consider this one?

Riger

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 11:10:41 AM »
I asked for this a while ago, except I asked to be able to add a letter at the end, so eg:  AFD101A, AFD101B, AFD101C etc....

The request was rejected.

Best Regards

Richard

mykalberta

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 04:16:04 PM »
If it helps I will request this - I dont need a letter but it would greatly clean up the sked page :)

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 01:18:21 PM »
Which is better:

1) You can assign a single route-pair to different aircraft thus keeping the same number  (ie. a route JFK-LHR created 7x week that has same dep time every day, is flown with plane ZYX for days 123, and with plane YXZ for days 4567).
or
2) You can create multiple routepairs, assign same numbers to these (ie. two routes JFK-LHR, but having the same route number; XYA123), and being able to assign them to any aircraft.

Option #1 is easier to manage definitely, and much easier for new users to understand too. You can see instantly when opening the route that which plane flies it etc. Downside is that every weekday must have the same flight times, and thus also the same aircraft type. #2 option allows the usage of B767 on first day and B747 on the other day as they are stored as separate routes in the database.

flydreamer

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 03:18:32 PM »
i think i like option no.2 better.

Offline Daveos

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 05:14:23 PM »
I think option 2 is better too.  Many carriers frequently alter departure times slightly day by day.

jneil121

• Former member
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 10:52:35 AM »
Id prefer number two thanks Sami. As that would allow me to change equipment to work with the days demand. (Eg Mondays and Fridays are high demand so a 747 gets put here and a 767 covers the rest.)

stefan.aj@hotmail.com

• Former member
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 12:04:16 PM »
I'm not quite sure, but there seems to be more micro managing involved in number two. And I'm no fan of micro managing, so I have to opt for number one.

dseckman

• Former member
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 09:11:46 AM »
I too like the second option. It will be a little more confusing for the new-comers; however, there are plenty of people avialable to answer questions.

jneil121

• Former member
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 11:53:51 AM »
Sami would this feature be considered for AWS v1.2? I would really like to have this feature as my scheduling page would be 400 pages shorter.

Riger

• Former member
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 09:35:02 AM »
Sami would this feature be considered for AWS v1.2? I would really like to have this feature as my scheduling page would be 400 pages shorter.

400 Pages shorter?? !!!

I feel for you  :)

Regards

Richard

ban2

• Former member
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 09:47:23 AM »
option 2 gets my vote :)

Branmuffin

• Former member
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 05:59:49 PM »
I agree that option 2 would be nice; but #1 is still better than nothing.

The only question is, how would this be managed in the "Edit Route" and "scheduling" pages?  If you have two diff. A/C types flying a route pair, the dep/arr times will be different.

Offline DarkVenegance

• Members
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 06:23:17 PM »
I've just started my first real game, but even in the test world both options would have been helpful.

Option 1 should definitely be implemented, saves me a lot of time and entries in the route list as soon as you have routes (or route combinations) longer than a day. As a plus, it only needs a very simple UI, just also have a day selector on the schedule route page.

Option 2 would also be nice, but only makes sense if the sub-routes are be default combined in the manage route display. I don't know how the system determines for example that you are flying daily or not, but if the flight number has an influence, options 2 becomes much more useful. Maybe limited that the flights have to started inside x hours. The suggestion of adding A, B, C etc to differentiate is also nice.

Conclusion: I vote for both options, as the tackled problem isn't completely the same.

Offline type45

• Members
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2010, 07:14:54 PM »
this is a good idea, but I want to know something more about the system......
first of all, will the time slot need to be consider if I add 1 more day of service? Or it will just like the route edit page now we have, need to confirm and pay for slot fee first?

besides, will the departure time need to be the same everyday, or it is possible to have some small changes?

Thank you :P

L1011fan

• Former member
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2010, 04:02:47 AM »
I would just like to see ONE flight number on thru flights, for example LAX-IAH-TPA with ONE flight number and be able to market LAX-TPA as well as LAX-IAH. I know its probably an accounting nightmare, but thats the way they do it in the real world. Its annoying to have the flights look like connections when its indeed the same plane.  :P

bwistle

• Former member
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2010, 11:42:39 AM »
I would just like to see ONE flight number on thru flights, for example LAX-IAH-TPA with ONE flight number and be able to market LAX-TPA as well as LAX-IAH. I know its probably an accounting nightmare, but thats the way they do it in the real world. Its annoying to have the flights look like connections when its indeed the same plane.  :P
That will happen when connecting flights come out

Offline DarkVenegance

• Members
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2010, 05:05:39 PM »
That ATB realism post has reminded me again of this, because it would make the route management screen and all the route info pages much neater. Any chance at all to get it? (Maybe split each route automatically in ...A ...B per day and aggregate for viewing?)

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2010, 05:11:55 PM »
Which is better:

1) You can assign a single route-pair to different aircraft thus keeping the same number  (ie. a route JFK-LHR created 7x week that has same dep time every day, is flown with plane ZYX for days 123, and with plane YXZ for days 4567).
or
2) You can create multiple routepairs, assign same numbers to these (ie. two routes JFK-LHR, but having the same route number; XYA123), and being able to assign them to any aircraft.

Option #1 is easier to manage definitely, and much easier for new users to understand too. You can see instantly when opening the route that which plane flies it etc. Downside is that every weekday must have the same flight times, and thus also the same aircraft type. #2 option allows the usage of B767 on first day and B747 on the other day as they are stored as separate routes in the database.

With regards to this post, please post further opinions...

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.