Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Airbus vs. Boeing  (Read 11694 times)

Filippo

• Former member
Re: Airbus vs. Boeing
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2010, 05:31:29 PM »
I have to say that I have no fixed preference on manufacturer, but I do have on model.

A320family VS 737/757&Co   -    Airbus wins as the A320 looks more new and spacious. Also, the Airbus A320 lets more light inside the cabin as the windows are bigger.

A330/A340 VS B777    -    Boeing definitely wins as it's newer and those 2 big engines just look good! I flew on a Shanghai-Tokyo with an A340-300 of China Eastern and it looked and felt old.               Also the noise the engines made was different from either newer A340s or B777     

A380 VS B747    -   Airbus definitely wins as the 747 times are unfortunately over. I flew with a Singapore Airlines A380 and it was just awesome! The A380 is so silent, you barely hear it taking off or land, it's so gentle and stable, and when you fly it's so incredibly silent. Pilots also say that it handles as an A320. The 747 is a great plane, which made the history of aviation - but it just can't withstand the competition from the A380.

LOT767

• Former member
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2010, 05:39:07 PM »

Haven't computers made our lives easier? so it has for pilots too they get more to chat up the F/A#s LOL. In this complicated world Airbus has made life a bit easier for pilots ( common now, we have to admit that) . I love flying either Airbus or Boeing but i prefer A, 747 is always a good ride but these days hard to find as A330/340 & B777 have taken over. So no offence and i am not attacking you, just sharing my views as you are too.

Regards from freezing Liverpool
VJC

I never took offence, its just a passonate debate two people stating two different views  ;D At the risk of going off topc, its no doubt that computers have made life a LOT easier for people, I don't know how it is in you're neck of the woods, but here state side I think people in General are becoming a little too reliant on them........

Stay Warm!!!! out there, It must be insane because the news all the way out here in Portland, Oregon was talking about it!

Take Care!

castelino009

• Former member
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2010, 11:14:49 PM »

but here state side I think people in General are becoming a little too reliant on them........

Stay Warm!!!! out there, It must be insane because the news all the way out here in Portland, Oregon was talking about it!

Take Care!
we all are aren't we, modern day living. Weather phew dont ask, its been awfully i guess you guys might see allt his every winter, here in liverpool , well whole of UK is just come to a stand still last 2 days. things got better today but just cannot walk of pavements, its like a ice ring, people falling here anf there.

Easy jet cancelled all is operations yest to /from LPL , mainly due to operatioal reasons (all planes in wrong spots).I guess luton and southampton were badly hit too. Now part 1 is almost over w are waiting for wave 2 this weeknd, fingers crossed.

You take cre and stay warm,

ciao ciao

VJC

ICEcoldair881

• Former member
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2010, 05:42:47 PM »
The UK i always so used to little snow from the warm air currents off the North Atlantic that everything there is in mayham I guess.....Here in Canada, we are used to snow in October! I went out for Halloween in 3 feet of snow one year.....and Airport ops are like there isn't any snow at all; I went planespotting with a couple guys from school and we all were blown away how much snow was beside the runways and taxiways. There must've been one spot where I couldn't see the Terminal over the snow. Try and get used to that. btw, try putting salt or sand on the icy parts. It helps....A LOT!

Cheers,
ICEcold

ArthurWellesley

• Former member
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2010, 06:57:16 AM »
If it ain't Boeing, I ain't going.

Enough said.

Offline freshmore

• Members
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2010, 12:54:27 AM »
i thinks also is quite interesting is the engine battles, especially how from 1970 to now and the future it seems the balance of "power" has shifted between PW and GE (i thinks its those two) to Rolls Royce. I will admit Rolls Royce has a slight advantage in that it is the sole engine supplier to A350 programme, but then GE did turn down that opportunity.

just another thing to throw into this sort of debate

ucfknightryan

• Former member
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2010, 05:30:37 AM »
i thinks also is quite interesting is the engine battles, especially how from 1970 to now and the future it seems the balance of "power" has shifted between PW and GE (i thinks its those two) to Rolls Royce. I will admit Rolls Royce has a slight advantage in that it is the sole engine supplier to A350 programme, but then GE did turn down that opportunity.

just another thing to throw into this sort of debate

I think it was really just PW.  The DC-8, 707, 727, early 737, DC-9. MD-80, and Dassault Mercure all used PW engines.  They also supplied one of the engine choices for the 747.

LOT767

• Former member
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2010, 07:43:37 AM »
I guess in the long run, the correct answer is the one that makes the most money!!!!!!  ;D

CHEERS!! EVERYONE!! AND TO MY EUROPE FRIENDS! STAY WARM!

Filippo

• Former member
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2010, 10:32:00 AM »
I guess in the long run, the correct answer is the one that makes the most money!!!!!!  ;D

CHEERS!! EVERYONE!! AND TO MY EUROPE FRIENDS! STAY WARM!

This means - Airbus!

Look at all your US airlines, most are in financial difficulties! Do we want to talk about the service on your airlines compared to the one on european airlines?

Offline freshmore

• Members
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2010, 09:27:10 PM »
yse i know PW was dominant but slowly its seems the balance of market share is shifting to rolls royce, on new aircraft.

Filippo

• Former member
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2010, 03:54:21 PM »
yse i know PW was dominant but slowly its seems the balance of market share is shifting to rolls royce, on new aircraft.

USA dominance shifts to EU dominance. Typical thing after the 1980s to happen. As we get the tech now-how, we surpass you as we are able to produce a better product ;)

hybridace101

• Former member
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2010, 12:47:24 AM »
Hello everyone!  I'm pretty new to this game.  I started out by using 2 734s (1 of them is still pending) as Airbus is more expensive at the start.  Right now, there are 4 city pairs I am flying to.  I would hence like to know when the best time to switch to an A319/A320 would be.  

Would operating a Boeing aircraft be more expensive in the long run in terms of operational costs?

If I retain my 734, will I be able to have fleet commonality with its successor, the 738 (which if yes can also save on costs associated with having a different airline family)? 

Howabout if 1 plans to have an A320, will it have commonality with the A330? 
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 12:49:30 AM by hybridace101 »

LOT767

• Former member
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2010, 01:44:22 AM »
This means - Airbus!

Look at all your US airlines, most are in financial difficulties! Do we want to talk about the service on your airlines compared to the one on european airlines?

I think I mentioned this before, but yes. Airlines in America are just hopeless, service is that to the level of 3rd World Countries probably a lot worse.

I normaly fly PDX-JFK-TXL (Delta) in the summer, I got to try TXL-CDG-LAX-PDX (Air France) on the way back. I've also flown LOT Polish a couple times and BA's 747-400 when they flew them SEA-LHR. All I can say is service in economy (Food/Ent./Snacks/etc.) Was better than business on an airline in the US, there is no comparing the two.

This is why I am a HUGE!!!! fan of Southwest, they don't make any promises or claim this or that. They just fly the dang plane and everyone is happy. Something airlines in America are forgetting to do......just fly the dang plane!!!!

And please don't get me started on the financial part, the US Government has bailed the airlines out so many times and dumped so much $$$$ into them (With MY tax dollars) I really would not be shocked if I own a 777 ot two.....

I know I kinda drifted off topic, but like I said before Boeing is in my homestate of Washington, gotta support the home team, ya know? I did fly an Airbus once.....it was all I expected to be for a French product

castelino009

• Former member
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2010, 03:19:15 AM »
Hello everyone!  I'm pretty new to this game.  I started out by using 2 734s (1 of them is still pending) as Airbus is more expensive at the start.  Right now, there are 4 city pairs I am flying to.  I would hence like to know when the best time to switch to an A319/A320 would be.  

Would operating a Boeing aircraft be more expensive in the long run in terms of operational costs?

If I retain my 734, will I be able to have fleet commonality with its successor, the 738 (which if yes can also save on costs associated with having a different airline family)?  

Howabout if 1 plans to have an A320, will it have commonality with the A330?  

your rite  Airbus are expensive and I think personally yu should stick with 737-400s for a while until you grow and stabalise yourself,  try to keep a simple fleet, 737 is good money maker.

737-400 and 737-800 are not same , -400 is a classic and  -800 is a NG, so  there will be no commanlity.

Boeing 737 fleet types are
737-100/200 Classics
737-300/400/500 Classics
737-600/700/800/900 New Generation (NG)

Best time to change is when you are well settled, have made some decent cash so you can get a big fat loan and still have spare cash for A, B & C checks.

A320 is different from A330

A320 family includes A318/A319/320/321
A330 family includes A330/340

Longer run Airbus family is greatA320 gives a good flexibility A318 with 105 odd seater to A321 almost 200 pax in high density.

Hope this helps mate

Good luck , have fun

VJC
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 05:07:17 AM by V.Castelino »

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2010, 01:09:49 AM »
We had the A-380 on order and probably will re-order some but were concerned with the lack of body-gear steering (which restricts you from any taxi on asphalt) and the lack of reversers on #1 & #4 engines (to save weight).

Yes the A380 has had steering issues with the nose gear, meaning some flights have had to be abandoned. And airports (especially taxiways) will have to be modified to accomodate it - understandable if you look at the MTOW. I give you this one.

However you might like to know that the A380 doesn't need thrust reversers at all because it's brakes and high lift devices are so efficient. The only reason it has thrust reversers on the two inboard engines is to meet FAA regulations. They could have saved even more weight otherwise.

[Source: Flight International Journal]

America always seems to be more cautious when it comes to new breakthroughs (not criticism/disrespect to America here), look how long it took for some of their airlines to drop 3 man  flight deck crews even up to the 1980's in the 737 which was being flown by 2 pilots in Europe since its launch with Lufthansa decades before.

[Source: The Boing 737 Technical Guide]
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

Offline mark320

• Members
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2010, 09:34:50 AM »
From a pilot with over 11 years flying Boeings, 3 years Douglas and now 8 years on the Airbus I can say with experience that Boeing builds a better aircraft. Our airline purchased the Airbus new from the factory and they are the most expensive aircraft to maintain in our fleet. The reliability factor is only slightly less than Boeing but the parts are dramatically more expensive. Normal line flying in the Airbus is like flying in the simulator, lots of small problems constantly showing up. Most are computer glitches but we have continuous fuel quantity, bleed valve and pack issues. This is all good practice for us before we do our annual recurrent training because we are very fluent in using the Quick reference handbook (non-normal procedures) and the MEL/CDL due to the numerous deferrals we have to fly with. Airbus always prices their acft less than Boeing but make up the difference in higher parts prices and shorter warranty times. I will predict that you will never see an Airbus in commercial service that has more than 60,000 flt hours or older than 30 years. We recently retired our classic 747's. The oldest was a 1969 model with 99,000 flt hours. Our 727-100's all were over 45 years old and most had over 65,000 flt hours when we finally retired them. We had the A-380 on order and probably will re-order some but were concerned with the lack of body-gear steering (which restricts you from any taxi on asphalt) and the lack of reversers on #1 & #4 engines (to save weight).

As a current Airbus pilot and ex-Boeing pilot i am a bit doubtful about what you are saying because we have things the other way round in our airline. Dispatch reliability on the Airbus is effected because it ALWAYS reports snags on the PFR and engineering simply cannot dispatch the plane as "found OK on ground"! as was many times the case on our Bs. Had a discussion with a pro Boeing engineer from an other airline and guess what, the same thing. The Airbus has more redundancy than most Boeings, bar the B777, (never flew it). E.g. Single engine CAT3A capability on the narrow body, compared to the B737 CAT1. We had some of the oldest A320s and they aged MUCH better than our younger B737-300s. The protections are a must for airline flying, day in day out in all kinds of weather and terrain. A couple of weeks ago, Gatwick 190/12G36 i land with the A319 but the B747-400 and B777-300ER go around, the next A330 also lands! coincidence, maybe. Press-on-its? definitely not!   . For me, I hope not to have to fly a Boeing ever again, too many shady corners regarding performance and systems and uncomfortable cockpit ergonomics.
Regarding the A380, it has body steering with AC power on the 6 wheel bogie, just like the B777 and B747. The lack of reversers are no problem as with high bypass engines they are not very efficient and it lands at 138Kts compared to a B747 at around 150Kts! Give me a lower speed and more stable aircraft with less landing config drag any time!
But to everyone his own, happy landings!

regards,

Filippo

• Former member
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2010, 07:38:19 PM »
which airline do you guys work for?

Offline mark320

• Members
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2010, 12:38:22 PM »
If i tell you then I would have to kill you.... ;D

LOT767

• Former member
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2010, 05:52:20 PM »
Flight Simulators and Those pretend airlines whatever they are called don't count..........are you still a Pilot now? just playing 21 questions........got 20 left

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2010, 07:06:53 PM »
Flight Simulators and Those pretend airlines whatever they are called don't count

Sorry but grow up a bit.

I work for an airline too but I do not want to yell that outloud in the net either.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.