Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Airbus vs. Boeing  (Read 11693 times)

Offline apenfold

• Members
Airbus vs. Boeing
« on: November 01, 2009, 06:20:37 PM »
We all know that Boeing always start ahead of Airbus (no matter what game you are in, unless it starts after 2008). This is no exception with Boeing ahead by 1500 aircraft with slightly less orders. I have not seen Airbus overtake Boeing in any other game so far, but am wondering if we will see this happen in this game world. We know that on the whole that Airbus manufacture better aircraft - please don't post here if your opinion is divided on this fact (create a new post) - however will the following 22 years show that for what it is and end up with more operational Airbus aircraft than Boeing? Just wondering on peoples opinions and thoughts, especialy regarding the A350 and 787 which will undoubtedly be the decider aircraft in the latter years of the game and the 748 which won't.

I know which my money is on, which manufacturer is yours on?

0zlw

• Former member
Re: Airbus vs. Boeing
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 06:37:27 PM »
Personally I'm ordering of MD right now only because of the short production queues. I am then going to cut my pie between MD and Boeing because Boeing has shorter queue times between them and Airbus.

mrose

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 07:21:53 PM »
Well, I would always choose Airbus over Boeing for the following reasons. It is evident that in most cases Airbus' are more expensive than Boeing, and for an airline starting out and wishing to expand quickly, Boeing is the obvious choice. However Airbus aircraft are always the technological leaders, having introduced fly-by-wire most noticeably, as well as many other smaller improvements. From an operational point of view, fleet commonality is much better with Airbus, allowing for instance, the A318, a small 100 seat airliner, to operate alongside the A321, a much larger 200 seat airliner, without any excess cost incurred. The situation is the same in the long haul sector, with the twin-engined A330 operating alongside its larger counterpart, the four-engined A340.

Later on in Rise Of The Modern Airliners will see the entry to service of the Airbus A380, an aircraft which in real life has already beaten its not-yet released competitor the Boeing 747-8, in terms of orders. My opinion on the matter originally put forward by Apenfold is that the Airbus A320 family will become the most popular aircraft, especially the newest short haul aircraft family operating in the 21st century, alongside the smaller regional jets, which may see a drop in A318/B736 sales. I believe Airbus will come out on top, however I am yet to make an opinion on what aircraft will perform better out of the 787 and A350.

This is purely my opinion as an airline CEO, doing what I believe is best for my airline, and obviously your view may differ. I am not trying to change anyones opinion, I am just posting my opinion as asked for by Apenfold.

M. Rose

----Deutsche Star CEO---- (ROTMA)
----EuroScot Express CEO----(MT1)
----London Premier Airways CEO----(ATB2)

mykalberta

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 06:38:35 PM »
The choice of fleet should matter where you are and what routes you intend to fly.

Apart from national interests, Airbus is the choice for Europe companies because where they are in the world. Apart from Australia and South America they have no need for an ETOPS aircraft. If you are in North America then you need ETOPS aircraft for Asia.

Also, the lack of hubbing plays into this alot as well. The A320 series because it can be container loaded is prefered to some airlines simply because of union contracts, where as the 73X series started out as cargo load and so it remains for commonality.

For me here are my choices of aircraft, the maker has little to do with it.

A318 vs 736 - tie
A320 vs 73G - tie - depends what you want, load or range
A321 vs 738 - tie - again depends

A330-200 vs 762 - A wins for a few reasons, newer, more efficient, 76X cargo problems
A330-300 vs 763 - A wins if you can fill it, B wins if its long thin, and because of lower capital cost.
A330-300 vs 772ER - I choose B mostly cause if range, but the A330-300 is easily the best w/b AB makes.
A340-300 vs 772ER - same as above, B wins if you need range.
A340-600 vs 773ER - if you chose the A330 you choose A, if you chose the 772 you choose the 773
A340-500 vs 772LR - both are marginally profitable aircraft for their stated job requirement, unless you can sell alot of cargo.

If you are a North American airline that isnt going to be flying to Asia, A is the the maker for you. If you are a European airline that flies alot to South America, B is for you.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 06:45:21 PM by mykalberta »

castelino009

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 06:01:45 AM »
Simple and easy

"AIRBUS"

VJC

Offline ali5541

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 10:33:49 AM »
Wayyyy to Simple!

Boeing!
Top Airway Sim Fan, Member since July-2007

Offline Brockster

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 12:56:43 PM »
Boeing. :)

Airbus better suits Europe, Boeing better suits the US. Boeing builds more aesthetically beautiful airplanes than airbus does and that matters to me even though it probably shouldn't. :P

Offline ukatlantic

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 10:16:01 PM »
I like both manufacturers  - however a pilot friend of mine says ' if you want to be a proper pilot you fly Boeings - if you want to be an aircraft sytems computer monitor - you sit in the cockpit of the airbus!'.  ;D

Offline Marco

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 04:21:21 PM »
I've always chosen Boeing before, but I decided to experiment a little on RMA and go with Airbus. So far it hasn't been that great, but I still have a lot of aircraft on order so we'll see. :)

Offline T8KE0FF

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 10:21:24 PM »
This is no exception with Boeing ahead by 1500 aircraft.
Airbus are better though.
Actually in several games I have seen Airbus surpass boeing many many times.

Cameron1991

• Former member
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 02:13:11 AM »
I choose Boeing over Airbus any day, except for the A330 which is a lot better than the 767.

Although I have gone with Fokker for my short haul aircraft this time around  :P

flyingcowboy7845

• Former member
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 07:27:11 PM »
From a pilots standpoint Boeing is superior.  From a maintenance standpoint Boeing is better.  From all the pilots that I have talked too Airbus is the walmart of aircraft manufactures.  Pilot friendly aircraft makers are in order: Lockheed, Boeing, McDonald-Douglas, Airbus.  This is a fact! I have been on all but only flown Boeing 727, and DC-10.  I would love to go to school on the airbus to see the difference first hand. 

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2009, 11:53:42 PM »
From a pilots standpoint Boeing is superior.

That's a big negative ;)

flyingcowboy7845

• Former member
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 08:39:53 AM »
From a pilot with over 11 years flying Boeings, 3 years Douglas and now 8 years on the Airbus I can say with experience that Boeing builds a better aircraft. Our airline purchased the Airbus new from the factory and they are the most expensive aircraft to maintain in our fleet. The reliability factor is only slightly less than Boeing but the parts are dramatically more expensive. Normal line flying in the Airbus is like flying in the simulator, lots of small problems constantly showing up. Most are computer glitches but we have continuous fuel quantity, bleed valve and pack issues. This is all good practice for us before we do our annual recurrent training because we are very fluent in using the Quick reference handbook (non-normal procedures) and the MEL/CDL due to the numerous deferrals we have to fly with. Airbus always prices their acft less than Boeing but make up the difference in higher parts prices and shorter warranty times. I will predict that you will never see an Airbus in commercial service that has more than 60,000 flt hours or older than 30 years. We recently retired our classic 747's. The oldest was a 1969 model with 99,000 flt hours. Our 727-100's all were over 45 years old and most had over 65,000 flt hours when we finally retired them. We had the A-380 on order and probably will re-order some but were concerned with the lack of body-gear steering (which restricts you from any taxi on asphalt) and the lack of reversers on #1 & #4 engines (to save weight).

Filippo

• Former member
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2009, 01:24:55 PM »
which airline do you work for?

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2009, 12:35:04 PM »
I guess you've bought the Airbuses from some other factory compared to what I've flown, when talking about the "constant" problems...  8)

LOT767

• Former member
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010, 04:34:24 AM »
If it aint Boeing, I aint going! And after doing some reading, online and in books Boeing airliners don't have a bad habit of randomly falling out of the sky like the A300 that crashed in NY after 9/11 and the A330 off the coast of Brasil and the A310 that feel out of the sky also to name a few.......

castelino009

• Former member
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 05:24:15 AM »
If it aint Boeing, I aint going!

LOL for me its the exact opposite, I only fly Airbus (well try my 100%) and for the last 4 yrs have been very sucessful. There is a such called "techinical fault" and it may occur anytime, anywhere  incl your car or even urself , people collapse with heart attacks not coz they want but it happens :)  :laugh:
Think before you speak.

LOT767

• Former member
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2010, 07:01:25 AM »
Well last summer there was a lot of "technical faults" happing to Airbus....thats all I'm saying.

Either way you look at it, they don't make em' like the L1011's and DC's anymore. Pilots are just "systems monitors" nowadays. If something goes wrong you just push a button to fix it, and hope for the best. That came from a pilot....not me!

The only flying I do is on these routes and they are all Boeing hope they stay that way!

PDX-JFK-TXL (738-763) On Delta

or Continental PDX-EWR-TXL (738-762)

or if I feel RICH PDX-ORD-WAW (752-763) United/Lot Polish

castelino009

• Former member
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2010, 07:20:40 AM »
Well last summer there was a lot of "technical faults" happing to Airbus....thats all I'm saying.

Either way you look at it, they don't make em' like the L1011's and DC's anymore. Pilots are just "systems monitors" nowadays. If something goes wrong you just push a button to fix it, and hope for the best. That came from a pilot....not me!

The only flying I do is on these routes and they are all Boeing hope they stay that way!

PDX-JFK-TXL (738-763) On Delta

or Continental PDX-EWR-TXL (738-762)

or if I feel RICH PDX-ORD-WAW (752-763) United/Lot Polish

Haven't computers made our lives easier? so it has for pilots too they get more to chat up the F/A#s LOL. In this complicated world Airbus has made life a bit easier for pilots ( common now, we have to admit that) . I love flying either Airbus or Boeing but i prefer A, 747 is always a good ride but these days hard to find as A330/340 & B777 have taken over. So no offence and i am not attacking you, just sharing my views as you are too.

Regards from freezing Liverpool
VJC

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.