Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Airline newscast (dashboard)  (Read 2790 times)

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
Airline newscast (dashboard)
« on: October 19, 2009, 02:27:40 PM »
As I am building the front page dashboard and the news unit there, I will also add news about airlines and their operation.

Now the only question remains which news do you see useful?

* When a new airline starts or someone does bust?

* Airline opening a new route?  Or opening first route to a new destination?   (*)

* Airline ordering new aircraft?   (*)

* Airline events such as staff strikes and FAA/CAA fines?

* Alliance related news, like founding of a new alliance, or joining/quitting members?

* Anything else?

Items marked with (*) are a bit complicated as these things happen many many many times every game day and the news list of these would be endless.

Also, as the newsfeed box on the dashboard page is not very big, there is no room for additional tabs anymore - or otherwise the users with small (1024x) resolutions will start to see it in a bit wrong way. Thus the general airline news would have to be combined to some existing tab. Is it OK to combine press releases and other airline news, and once you select the airline press/news tab you can there filter (with a dropdown) which category of news items you wish to see (like only press releases or only alliance related news)?

I know that the world events tab is a bit useless right now but it's mainly reserved for future use and future features, besides of the current airport info.

samomuransky

• Former member
Re: Airline newscast (dashboard)
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 03:27:30 PM »
Useful for me:

* Airline opening a new route?  Or opening first route to a new destination?   (*)

First just for airlines based on my base.

Second only for airlines from my base or airlines on route I currently have.

Offline maya666

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 03:29:52 PM »
I like these:

* When a new airline starts or someone does bust

* Airline events such as staff strikes and FAA/CAA fines

* Alliance related news, like founding of a new alliance, or joining/quitting members

0zlw

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 03:56:31 AM »
These ones are the ones I woudl want:

* Alliance related news, like founding of a new alliance, or joining/quitting members? - How about instead of this once an airline is accepted/accepts into an alliance they get the oppotunity to put out a stanterd templated press release or they can write there own one up.

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 02:22:20 PM »
On Dashboard, under Airline News and Events, it shows 2 things:
- new aircraft orders
- new airlines forming / going bust.

When the news of new airlines forming / airlines going bust scroll off, there is no way to see it on a detail screen.  There is only the history of orders.

Dookz

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 04:20:11 PM »
Trying to simplify these suggestions so it's not too broad.

For worldwide news, announce airlines going bust (conditional) if for example an aircraft was ever in operation. For founding of new airlines, maybe not as important as bust, but can be important if its in the same country or base.

Alliance related news. Founding/dissolving of alliances and joining/quitting of members.

New bases (same country/economic zone/ or continent especially if its not very populated) if locality is technically possible.

If its possible to tailor the aircraft order of other airlines on the newscast so only fleets related to yours ( in service and same production line) are shown. If its too specific then you can also include orders of airlines in any of your bases regardless of fleet type. Everything else can still be seen in the Aircraft Order tab for a complete history. Would like to see cancelled orders of other airlines if its greater than 6? months.

Strikes and Fines.

Low Slot related news. Airports with under 5%-10%? slots remaining.

Rebranding and Relocation.

*edit: added Launch Customer

Accidents if its going to be implemented.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 11:18:57 PM by mini airbus »

Offline Minto Typhoon

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 10:15:32 AM »

As it is today, news is top heavy, and articles of interest dissppear very quickly.  To reduce the volume of news, it should be limited to what airlines have an interest in, in the same way someones TV news is limited to happens in their region, except for mega global news.  I.e if you live in Helsinki traffic news in Jakarta is of no interest to you, but a tornado that kills 200 is.

Bases opened / closed in area you can open a base
New Airlines in an area you can open a base
Airlines that start / grow / eliminate a route to your bases

Airlines with more than 20 aircraft bankrupt in your region
Airlines with more than 100 aircraft bankrupt globally

Airline Joins an alliance in your continent
Strikes and CAA fines in your continent

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 02:59:03 PM »

Anything else you'd wish to have right on the dashboard / index page?

Offline T8KE0FF

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 03:28:12 PM »
When a airline declares BK the username should appear.

I must say, I have never as yet seen a fine being issued!

As requested in a previous thread, a 'live' departures/arrivals board would be a cool feature for the dashboard...

Offline CUR$E - God of AirwaySim

• Members
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 06:26:18 PM »
Anything else you'd wish to have right on the dashboard / index page?

Quicklink to other game worlds one is in and the current time there (there's an extra thread about this)

Also interesting;
- airline bankruptcys and foundings (both with username AND alliance at BK if the airline was in one)
- new member for alliances and leaving members
- new routes opened to your HQ/base and added flights to your HQ/base, maybe in an extra menu like "events", "alliance" etc. at the moment
- aircraft orders from all airlines

and please, Sami, make available to see more... not only the last 10 or 20 events like at the moment.

ICEcoldair881

• Former member
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 04:46:38 AM »
the alliance info thingy, new/closed routes etc, airline start-up/bk, and when an airline ordered new aircraft. that's it for me. ;)

Cheers,
ICEcold

Offline Laama

• Members
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 06:35:31 AM »
One thing that would be interesting to see, would be all time passangers, not just the last 4 weeks. It doesn't have to be on the dashboard, could be on the airline info page. It's not usefull (expect for celebrating certain amounts of passangers) but would be fun to be able to see.

flydreamer

• Former member
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2010, 09:59:07 AM »
One thing that would be interesting to see, would be all time passangers, not just the last 4 weeks. It doesn't have to be on the dashboard, could be on the airline info page. It's not usefull (expect for celebrating certain amounts of passangers) but would be fun to be able to see.

I +1 this.  8)

Offline lastchancer

• Members
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2010, 11:24:44 PM »
I would like to have customized newscast. Something like alerts you may create for airlines or airports. This would be useful to monitor your specific interests/market/targets.

You may create new alerts or delete old ones at any time. The default alert could be to receive all news on the airports you are based in.

Additionally, you might create alerts for other airlines (e.g. competitiors or alliance members) and you get available news on them (planes ordered, newly opened routes/bases etc.).
Same with airports: create an alert for an airport to get information what is going on there (new routes created, new airlines based etc.)

Branmuffin

• Former member
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2010, 07:30:40 AM »
The news that most interests me has to do with my own base airport(s).  Right now there isn't really a tab for that - it would be great if a 'local events' tab or something like that was added, where news about these things could be displayed:

- New airline / bankrupt airline at user's base airport(s)
- New routes / destinations opened by competitors at user's base airport(s)
- New aircraft orders/cancellations by competitors based at user's base airport(s)

If such a tab is added, it should be the default tab.

Offline Daveos

• Members
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2011, 09:16:13 PM »
Would there be the possibility of including what bases an airline had when they close down?  At the moment the closure notices only indicate where the HQ was, but not the bases.

I was also wondering if new aircraft orders could perhaps be seperated from airline closures/start-ups on the tabs.  As discussed previously, the airline news and events tab moves too quickly as players order aircraft very frequently.  Start-ups and bankruptcies are much less frequent, but serve more importance when attempting to search for spare capacity.  It's ok if you're online all day, but if you're away for any decent length of time you can miss a lot of information regarding airlines and potential routes.

Cheers,

Dave :)

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2011, 09:25:45 PM »
Maybe Aircraft Orders and Airline News and Events should be split into separate tabs.

Offline iFlysimX

• Members
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2011, 09:35:14 PM »
I like these:

* When a new airline starts or someone does bust

* Airline events such as staff strikes and FAA/CAA fines

* Alliance related news, like founding of a new alliance, or joining/quitting members

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 07:28:02 PM by sami »

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.