Daily Flights Auto-create

Started by Riger, October 17, 2009, 01:01:48 PM

Riger

If I could choose a single feature that I'd like to see added to the route creation function it would be the following;

After selecting the various airports, when the user reaches the page where times and slots are set, I'd like to see a checkbox option that allows the user to create 7 different flights, one for each day with the same data replicated for all and each obviously with their own flight number.  Of course this means that all the slots and turn arounds must be the same for this to be successful.

In the event that there are any slot availability issues for some of the flights, those routes simply become flagged as "without slot" in the management page so that the user can adjust those that require adjustment.  In such an event, the route cannot be applied to an aircraft until that matter has been fixed.

This would save a huge amount of time for me.

Thoughts ?

Best Regards

Richard

bleedfax18

I would also really like this feature. I always try to order planes in a batch of 7, so that i can create a schedule for one plane and then "copy" this one to all other planes. Right now this takes a lot of time and clicking. That feature would really help.
CEO of INterFly

Sigma

What is the difference between what you're describing and simply clicking "Every Day" when setting up a route?

The only difference I can tell is that when you do one "every day" they've all got the same flight number; and you seem to want them all separate flights.  But I can't figure out why you'd have any desire to have them all be a different flight number anyway. 

bleedfax18

Quote from: Sigma on October 18, 2009, 06:34:15 AM
What is the difference between what you're describing and simply clicking "Every Day" when setting up a route?

The only difference I can tell is that when you do one "every day" they've all got the same flight number; and you seem to want them all separate flights.  But I can't figure out why you'd have any desire to have them all be a different flight number anyway.  

The reason for this request is simple: If I choose the everyday option, I cannot put this flight on 7 different planes. I try to schedule my planes light that: Plane 1 - flight a on monday, flight b on monday night, flight c on wednesday etc. Then Plane 2 - flight a on tuesday, flight b on tuesday night, flight c on thursday and so on and so on. In the end I have the same schedule for seven planes, always moved up one day. (this allows a much higher utilisation of the plane)

Right now the only way of doing this is in creating one flight and than "create another route like this", always advancing one day. This is a lot of clicking.

I would like to see an otion where I can choose to separate the "everyday" flight to seven different ones, so that it is easier to schedule to seven different planes. I guess the easiest way would be to put a checkbox next to selection of the flight days, asking if you want to create this as one flight or seperate flights.
CEO of INterFly

Riger

Quote from: Sigma on October 18, 2009, 06:34:15 AM

The only difference I can tell is that when you do one "every day" they've all got the same flight number; and you seem to want them all separate flights.  But I can't figure out why you'd have any desire to have them all be a different flight number anyway.  

Sigma,

The difference is that each route (for each day) is applied to a different aircraft. This is a very efficient use of aircraft and allows for the loss of only 1/7 of all routes (in this group) when aircraft are in maintenance.  Typically, I will get all 7 aircraft flying their own routes and then clear one aircraft, fill it with each day from the other aircraft include A and B checks and then replicate that 7 times, moving one day forward each time.  It is this process that takes ages, but the result is (IMHO) a very neat way to manage aircraft routes efficiently.

Here is a screenshot of a typical 7 a/c schedule of mine.

Does this make more sense ?

Best Regards
Richard

ReedME

I'd stick to one aircraft cause the more routes you have I think its more expensive

maya666

That would be a great idea, but i think what ReedME says is also true. That is what the case is now. Or isn't it a big expense at your airline?

Riger

Quote from: ReedME on October 18, 2009, 11:51:18 AM

I'd stick to one aircraft cause the more routes you have I think its more expensive

ReadMe,

When you say it is more expensive to have more routes, what aspect exactly are you talking about? 

If this format of scheduling is more expensive then surely that is a flaw in the system.  I am not flying any more than the other method, I am merely doing it differently.  Certainly it is more efficient use of aircraft.

This is very interesting and could be draining my funds quietly.

Sami, I'd like to hear what your take is on this also.

Best Regards
Richard

Sami

Why would it be?

Riger

Quote from: sami on October 18, 2009, 01:17:38 PM
Why would it be?

Sami,

Thanks for that.  I was getting worried for a moment.

Do you think this is something that you may be able to implement?

Best Regards

Richard

maya666

didn't the amount of routes had something to do with the cost for marketing? But otherwise I wouldn't know why it should cost more.

Sigma

More routes does make things more expensive.

But he's not increasing his routes, he's increasing his flights (or rather, flight numbers).  There's no difference whether you have a single flight number 7/week or 7 flight numbers 1/week.

Riger

Quote from: Sigma on October 18, 2009, 03:00:50 PM
More routes does make things more expensive.

But he's not increasing his routes, he's increasing his flights (or rather, flight numbers).  There's no difference whether you have a single flight number 7/week or 7 flight numbers 1/week.

That's it exactly.

Best Regards
Richard

maya666

Oke wasn't aware of that. Well if i have 7 empty planes I might consider routing them this way, but to do that with existing routes is gonna be a lot of work :P

Riger

Quote from: maya666 on October 18, 2009, 03:31:53 PM
Oke wasn't aware of that. Well if i have 7 empty planes I might consider routing them this way, but to do that with existing routes is gonna be a lot of work :P

Haha,  which is exactly why we were asking for the checkbox to multi-make routes/flights for a whole week. 

BTW, it is no easier with existing routes or making them from scratch, each flight must be replicated 7 times.

Seriously though the effort is worth it, when one of the aircraft is in C check, only 1/7 flights to each destination is impacted, you don't have a 3 week gap for one destination (if that makes sense).  All that remains then is to manipulate the C checks to avoid multiple aircraft in the group getting c-checks at the same time.

Best Regards
Richard

Riger

Sami,

Have you had any opportunity to think of this option yet?

I know you have V1.3 coming up, I was wondering if you think you might be able to sneak this in?  ....  please...   ::)

Very Best Regards

Richard

d2031k

Quote from: Riger on January 13, 2011, 02:13:40 PM
Sami,

Have you had any opportunity to think of this option yet?

I know you have V1.3 coming up, I was wondering if you think you might be able to sneak this in?  ....  please...   ::)

Very Best Regards

Richard

I have been watching this thread for some time to see if it might be included, as it's an excellent suggestion.  It would save serious amounts of time if could be implemented.

JumboShrimp

+1

This sounds like a feature that should be able to fit within the scope of 1.3.

As far as implementing it, it could be just plain - create 7 different flights.

Or, to get really fancy, it would be nice if the flights were related under 1 flight group, lets say flight group JSW1234 that would be collabpsable and expandable on List of Destinations and Airlines (collapsed by default).  Internally, there would be another field in addition to flight number (Sequence Number from 1 to 7).  The flight group could be managed as group (say if you want to change the flight times, delete the group).

Riger

Sami,

Do you think this might get included at some time? It's been almost 2 years since the original request ...   :'(

Maybe this could get done in two phases,

Phase 1 would only work for flights that complete a cycle within 24 hours. If you could add an option that allows an existing schedule with daily fights to be split into as many days as selected within the schedule, and auto-generate the necessary schedules and flight numbers.

Phase 2 could be the creation of a schedule from scratch with the option to generate 7 (or as many is required) separate flights.

I really think this contribute to the global energy savings by saving the batteries on my wireless mouse  ;D

Best Regards

Richard

Sami

I believe this is close to the other rq of having multiple flights under same number (ie same flight on diff. days assigned to diff. planes but under same number). Which will require some changes and at the same time it would be good to consider the whole scheduling thing more.