Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Airport Slots  (Read 1872 times)

b737jets

• Former member
Airport Slots
« on: October 14, 2009, 08:01:13 PM »
Hey I have a question that's kinda been in the back of my head.

If were paying for the slots why does it matter if I use them or not ? I paid for it.. it should be mine?
A real airline either pays for the slots/fees and they can fly them or not. I can see the need in past games that there was no
fee for slots but in this game it not right if I wanna get some slot and wait til I can afford the right equipment to fly that route
if your not flying the slot who care it should be calculated into the fees

just my .03 due to inflation

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
Re: Airport Slots
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 09:24:27 PM »
A real airline either pays for the slots/fees and they can fly them or not. I can see the need in past games that there was no

No, they must use them too..

And slot fees have been there from the start of the AWS games, now they are more visible and prices are variable instead of small fixed fee for all airports.

Offline NorgeFly

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 09:43:08 PM »
Sami is right, in the real world it's a case of "use them or loose them" just like in the game. Thats why some airlines run empty flights from time to time just keep a slot.

Offline Runner

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 11:29:51 PM »
I know KLM used to fly Fokker's 50 into LHR, just to keep the slots reserved for themselfs, or a Skyteam partner.

b737jets

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 03:40:30 AM »
Sami is right, in the real world it's a case of "use them or loose them" just like in the game

uuuugh... wrong.

I can say without doubt that I work for an airline that does not utilize all of it's slots at LGA and we are not at risk of losing them.

If that was the case when ATA went out of buisiness the FAA should have taken possesion of there slots and sold to the higest bidder.
As I recall ATA's assets were sold in court to all the various airlines that wanted them it up to the Airline to use them in the USA. I cannot speak for Europe or the World

Sorry real life is not use them or lose them in the USA 

aarong34

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 04:11:11 AM »
Right, I work for a US airline that has slots in Long Beach (LGB) but currently is not utilizing all of them.  May be the economic situation, but nonetheless they are unused...for now.

With that being the case, I don't support the ability for airlines just to buy up the available slots so other competitors can't operate...

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 04:52:10 AM »
Anyway, there won't be changes to the system in that aspect, even it may be different in the US than what we have here now.

Offline Runner

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 08:42:08 AM »
Ok. Then what about putting slot-trading on the list?

Offline NorgeFly

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 09:08:51 AM »
Sami is right, in the real world it's a case of "use them or loose them" just like in the game

uuuugh... wrong.

I can say without doubt that I work for an airline that does not utilize all of it's slots at LGA and we are not at risk of losing them.

If that was the case when ATA went out of buisiness the FAA should have taken possesion of there slots and sold to the higest bidder.
As I recall ATA's assets were sold in court to all the various airlines that wanted them it up to the Airline to use them in the USA. I cannot speak for Europe or the World

Sorry real life is not use them or lose them in the USA 

Well that is the USA - I (and I believe around 6billion others) do not live in the USA! I live in Europe where slot controlled airports confiscate under utilised slots which when considered is a very good idea. Why should airlines hold slots, particulartly at highly congested airports, that they don't or cannot use? In this case the game (and Europe) has it right. If we didnt loose the unused slots people would abuse it and take all the slots regardless of whether or not they can use them, just to prevent the growth of the competition.

And for the case of ATA I cant comment specifically, but if the slots are owned by the airline and they go bust, then I believe the administrator of the bankruptcy can sell the slots to the highest bidder just like any other asset to pay creditors and I believe this to be the case in Europe too.

Ok. Then what about putting slot-trading on the list?

Slot trading would be a great addition to the game :)

b737jets

• Former member
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 05:24:02 PM »
I (and I believe around 6billion others) do not live in the USA!

Whew...... Wow nice hater attitude Norgie Boy. I guess I should be sorry I live in USA ey ?

Hi Sami thanks for the forum to post this I was not trying cause any issues with anyone. I was just bringing up
something I felt was wrong with the game and was trying to help make the game better.

ReedME

• Former member
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 03:51:18 PM »
Hmm one thing I do not understand is why Americans think everything should be modeled off america :/ Oh well, I'm certain that slots in Australia follow same regulations as those in Europe and indeed most of the world. But of course I'm not sure. Slot Trading sounds good but I do not think it is important.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 06:36:30 PM »
Regulations vary from country to another and simply SOME model has to be chosen, nothing more special in that.

Offline NorgeFly

• Members
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2009, 10:54:18 PM »
I (and I believe around 6billion others) do not live in the USA!

Whew...... Wow nice hater attitude Norgie Boy. I guess I should be sorry I live in USA ey ?

Hi Sami thanks for the forum to post this I was not trying cause any issues with anyone. I was just bringing up
something I felt was wrong with the game and was trying to help make the game better.

Haha, not at all, infact fare from a hater! Just pointing out that everyone in the World does things according to the American way.

Branmuffin

• Former member
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2009, 07:24:37 PM »
Why should airlines hold slots, particulartly at highly congested airports, that they don't or cannot use?

Because it helps reduce the congestion at those airports with no cost to the airports or passengers themselves ;)

Hmm one thing I do not understand is why Americans think everything should be modeled off america :/

I wouldn't be so quick to generalize :)

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.