Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Staffing... bit odd  (Read 1926 times)

Offline Maarten Otto

• Members
    • My photo site
Staffing... bit odd
« on: October 11, 2009, 08:16:12 PM »
Hi,

I have 1 AC and 2 on order... but more then 90 pilots... I didn't hire them... But the game makes my company (Which I just started) to turn in the red even within the first week of operations.

Please Sami... can you tell me what' on aerth is happening.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
Re: Staffing... bit odd
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 08:33:10 PM »
The planes in pre-delivery state count into staff requirements, IF you have already routes scheduled for them. As otherwise you'd find your company lacking staff when the planes are actually delivered (in the middle of the night of course) ;)  Consider that as mandatory company training for the new employees...

And I bet they are some large(ish) planes, perhaps even with 3 pilots needed (?) per each plane.

Offline Maarten Otto

• Members
    • My photo site
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 08:42:47 PM »
I can not believe that in real life a company with 3 aircrafts would need 91 pilots. Even if those planes would require 3 pilots. That makes 3 pilots per AC per 8 hours. So 9 pilots per day. Do that times the number of AC in the company and you get 27. Ofcourse some need a few days off... so you would need something between 36 and 40 pilots in totall... thats a more realistic figure than 91.

3 pilots per 8 hour shift = 9 per day per aircraft. I have 3 AC's so 9x 3 = 27 per day. Lets say those pilots would work an average of 4 days a week (full time and Part time) needed is 36 to 40 in totall for 3 AC.
Same aplies to trolly-dolly with Apple juice and bloody expansive crisps ;)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 08:45:08 PM by Maarten Otto »

aircanada

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 02:50:28 AM »
well there are no part time pilots in real life so you can't count a part time pilot, I mean at the airlines

Offline Maarten Otto

• Members
    • My photo site
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 06:52:48 AM »
Perfect, that would lower the numbers required even more.

Offline Noriker

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 01:04:20 PM »
Hiya,

rule of thumb says, on 24/7 shifts you need 5 guys to do one job.
Taking your 3 pilots on 3 planes, that makes it 45.

Truly add though remains your 90.
I'm currently running 5 DC9 (2 pilots) and got 46 pilots employed.
That gives it a 4.6 pilots per front seat.

No idea what's on your airline. Are you sure you got no other planes scheduled before delivery?

cheers,
JJ

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 10:58:26 PM »
While the most one pilot can fly is 8 or so hours, remember that he/she must do alot of work prior to takeoff and after landing.   They have to file reports, check the weather, flightplanning......

Anyways, figure that you will need a pilot for every ~6 hours...  That makes 4 per seat per day.  You get about 30 hours of flight per pilot per week.

Now, you need to realize that there will be always someone on vacation or sick.  Therefore, you need backups.

Finally, these guys don't work every day.  They have days off.

There is 168 hours in a week
You need 504 flight hours (168 x 3).   Now, 504/3 rounded up = 17. 
Assuming vaca/sick time, I can see that you'd need 20 pilots per plane.  Not too sure on 30.

Offline Noriker

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 09:09:50 AM »
The other factor is fleet commonality as a pilot can only handle one type of aircraft. Same type gives you synergies while different types demand higher numbers of staff (ground staff as flight crew)

Offline P1670777

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 04:42:19 PM »
Hiya,

rule of thumb says, on 24/7 shifts you need 5 guys to do one job.
Taking your 3 pilots on 3 planes, that makes it 45.

Truly add though remains your 90.
I'm currently running 5 DC9 (2 pilots) and got 46 pilots employed.
That gives it a 4.6 pilots per front seat.

No idea what's on your airline. Are you sure you got no other planes scheduled before delivery?

cheers,
JJ

Following up on these previous comments, it should be noted in the real airline world, airlines staffing models generally plan for anywhere from 2 to 6 CREWS per a/c they operate.  They do this due to scheduling difficulties and various contractual obligations associated with running an airline.

-P

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.