Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Slot Hogging ???  (Read 2509 times)

Offline SAC

• Members
Slot Hogging ???
« on: September 16, 2009, 09:43:20 PM »
Evening All,

Is there any rules on how many seats can be offered between 2 destinations ?   

I have a competitor that has upto 1000 seats on a routes with a demand of 50. Consiquently slots at the base airport of my competitor are all taken up and I cannot route through there and even try and compete with him >:(   He is obviously saving slots for later in the game but this is hampering my growth today.

Is this a fair or unfair tactic ?

Cheers

Cpt Love
...it's not over until I say it's over

Offline SAC

• Members
Re: Slot Hogging ???
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 09:50:44 PM »
Just found another route 6000 seats for 500 demand by the same airline  >:(

Surely this cannot be on ?

Cpt Love
...it's not over until I say it's over

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 10:10:37 PM »
If you throw in such accusations you have to specify:

* which airline
* which routes
* any real evidence of slot hogging - he may be using the routes as a stop-over (just flying to another airport to pick up pax from there).

Espo

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 10:43:18 PM »
he may be using the routes as a stop-over (just flying to another airport to pick up pax from there).

So this would be considered a viable tactic as long as the third destination is not flooded over?

aarong34

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 10:46:56 PM »
Sami,

Legend Air (KIAH)
No slots available

KIAH-KDFW: running with 6300 seats per day (Demand is 500/day).
KIAH-KOKC: running 543 seats per day (demand is 120).
KIAH-KLBB: running 489 seats per day (demand is 110).
KIAH-KCRP: running 936 seats per day (demand is 80).

I can keep going...
Thanks!

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 10:49:18 PM »
All (or nearly all) of his routes continue onwards from the other airports, 4-legs .. so he is not using the routes for the sole purpose of getting the slots but to route his planes elsewhere as the home airport of his is already fully utilized.

So basically he's just repositioning his planes and flies pax from those airports to other places. Kind of like HUB .. but just not that economical as the first and last sector are running on low LF - but the only way for him to grow as the IAH is already full.

...so not using the slots on purpose to just to keep the slots, he is actually trying to make money with all of the zillion planes he has. And not comparable to the other case we had recently.

Some airlines tend to do this and the downside is that some routes (these 'repositioning routes') become overcrowded. There is no "admin ruling" to this as it's part of his strategy and it's not made in the purpose of getting all the slots, at least in perfectly clear way.     ...and I should start work on the HUB feature asap. ;)

Howard

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 01:41:04 AM »
Thanks Sami. :)

In my previous game I had 7 hubs and ended up the #1 Airline, so this seems to work for me. I don't think I will do that well this time with the limitations at Houston. I look forward to seeing your approach to introducing new hubs.

Howard

• Former member
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 02:29:15 AM »
And for the record some of those overflown routes were an attempt to defend myself against unprovoked attacks from folks who couldn't find any of the 1000's of uncontested routes that were available. I'm still finding them. Why people choose to fight so early in the game is beyond me.

He is obviously saving slots for later in the game but this is hampering my growth today.

Just out of curiosity, how are any of my routes hampering your growth? ??? I have intentionally stayed away from Love although I was intending to make it one of my hubs before you based there.

Offline Seattle

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 05:03:28 AM »
lol. You might want to do something with your fleet or you'll be losing buckets of money when gas prices rise!
Founder of the Star Alliance!

Talentz

• Former member
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 05:17:13 AM »
Meh, his continuation routing isn't all that great. There have been far worse carriers flying out of IAH in other games  ;)

~ When you can run 90%+ market share at your hub (IAH) and 75%+ at another major airport (EWR).. then you have something too complain to Sami about  8)

Talentz

Offline k900

• Members
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 12:05:42 AM »
And for the record some of those overflown routes were an attempt to defend myself against unprovoked attacks from folks who couldn't find any of the 1000's of uncontested routes that were available. I'm still finding them. Why people choose to fight so early in the game is beyond me.

One man's unprovoked attacks are another man's way of responding to an airline that has no strategy other than to fly anything to anywhere. As for the 1000's of uncontested routes, you'd do well to fly those yourself, rather than flying into competitor hubs, flooding routes with over capacity (and whacky aircraft choices) and expecting the resident airlines in those hubs to welcome you with open arms.

How do you like those 707's?

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.