Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: What's good about the high cost of fuel  (Read 1677 times)

Offline swiftus27

• Members
What's good about the high cost of fuel
« on: September 05, 2009, 01:53:31 PM »
This game can often be too easy for many airlines to turn a massive profit and to never worry about bankrupting.   I call it the Magic Carpet way of playing things.   He just got all the planes available and made a ton of money without ever having to look back. 

There is a reason that the MD 82-83 are still in production despite being very old at this point.   Some people opted for shorter waits for new aircraft and it has cost them dearly.   I have many competitors that were completely owning me because I waited for A320s (which carry the exact same amount of pax but for alot less fuel) while they opted for the 82/83.  I am sure that there are other airplanes that are causing the same harm.     

(In all honestly, the 82/83 being available while the 87/88, 90-30, and Boeing 717 are also out is kind of odd).

kawalsahu

• Former member
Re: What's good about the high cost of fuel
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 03:22:46 PM »
Nice observation,my friend.Just my 2 cents worth here.A/c manufacturing companies do not ever close the production lines of the a/cs' that are selling well.they close it when orders dry out and there is new a/c that can make them money.in real life this is what happened.I might be biased here but my 83s are real work horeses even though they consume more fuel.they make good money.but we must realise that i had a choice of either waiting 1 year or so for the economical boeings n airbus or 3months for MDs.the answer is clear if there is a need for a/c and excess pax capacity is available why not get the a/c first.cos its harder to get into a route whn others are already there with route image at 100 and i start at 0.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 04:14:30 PM »
(In all honestly, the 82/83 being available while the 87/88, 90-30, and Boeing 717 are also out is kind of odd).

btw. that will be changed in the future, the prod. lines will be tied to the fleet groups too, so if 83 is still in, 88 cannot be stopped.

NicholasB

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 05:59:40 AM »
Also bear in mind that the MD-83 has fantastic range. No A320, A321 and the older 737s can even come close to its range. I have found in the past that there are alot of great routes just out of range or the Boeing/Airbus narrow bodies. This is where the MD-83 is a gem. She matches alot of medium haul/low capacity routes perectly. In fact the MD83 is a good plane to get fast and expand your network, at the same time you can order the NG737s, which will finally have a similiar range to the MD-83 several years later into the game.

Anyway this is how i feel about the MD-83. In ATB1, my airline was built on the back of these birds. Go the "Mad Dog"!

Cheers,

NicholasB

Offline Dasha

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 12:08:45 PM »
Okay, I'm going to tell you a secret and I'll hate myself for this in the morning.

There are enough options for the Boeings and Airbusses. Order as many as you can early in the game but when the waiting times get over 2 years look for another plane to buy. If you check Davymica, you'll find a perfect option for all the Airbusses and Boeings.

By the time my poor competitors finally had their 737 or A320, I had three of my planes up and flying already because the production lines are MUCH shorter...

Just a tip..
The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes, decide everything

Offline Teemu

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 12:41:49 PM »
Dasha: That is old news for me ;)
Gladly I'm not operating small regional carrier so I'm using the used market... I get nice ATR's there and if I need a jet there is nice selection of planes. :)

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 02:42:32 PM »
Okay, I'm going to tell you a secret and I'll hate myself for this in the morning.

There are enough options for the Boeings and Airbusses. Order as many as you can early in the game but when the waiting times get over 2 years look for another plane to buy. If you check Davymica, you'll find a perfect option for all the Airbusses and Boeings.

By the time my poor competitors finally had their 737 or A320, I had three of my planes up and flying already because the production lines are MUCH shorter...

Just a tip..

Agreed here.  That's why my early fleet was A320s 732s and 82/83s....  As my new planes came in, I retired the old ones.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.