Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Ground Handling Agents  (Read 1432 times)

Offline MRFREAK

• Members
Ground Handling Agents
« on: September 01, 2008, 02:36:34 PM »
How about some Ground Handling Agents. Such as Swissport, SAS Groundservice and so on?

Like where you have to make contracts with the different handling agents arround the world so it would be cheaper than having your own staff all over the world?

FatMikel

• Former member
Re: Ground Handling Agents
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 03:14:08 PM »
Good idea! Dunno how it would be implemented, but it'd be good to have.

Offline Seattle

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 03:57:45 PM »
Ground handling is already implemented as airport service and stuff (I think).

Eventually, there will be a feature where you can sell and "buy" staf, like pilots and f/a's.
Founder of the Star Alliance!

CX717

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 04:14:21 PM »
my idea is player can setup subsidiary,provide ground handling and Catering service(CPCS) or even maintance (lufthansa technik/SIA Engineering)service.
alliance airlines can use their partner subsidiary,and charge less than others.

Online Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 05:18:01 PM »
my idea is player can setup subsidiary,provide ground handling and Catering service(CPCS) or even maintance (lufthansa technik/SIA Engineering)service.
alliance airlines can use their partner subsidiary,and charge less than others.

That's the way I've planned it to work in the future when I add that feature. Same for flight training and similar stuff.

Online Sami

• Administrator
  • Members

Online Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 12:50:40 PM »
Notes:

- Handling to be switched to fully outsourced model, reducing number of staff.

- Each airport has at least 1 handling company, larger more. Same system as fuel companies.
     - at game start need to create companies with custom names & logos for each airport.
     - variable service levels (stars? ..affecting what?) and costs per company & airport.
     - costs according to current handling model + small fixed fee every month?

- Available hndl companies browsable from airport info page; show landing fee, handling fee, pax fee.  (ability to choose aircraft to view exact costs)

- Handling contract needed for every airport the airline flies to.
     - if flying to a new airport, contract starts automatically. Player may choose desired company from route open/edit page if he wants, system will suggest some company (?)
     - hander info shown only if opening a new destination, for existing not shown (or redir to contracts page).
     - in normal conditions nothing more needed from player; but can micromanage if the wants:
     - if route closed completely the contract ends after RI data removed?  (RI 0 + xx days from last flt?)

- Contracts may be browsed from a separate page
     - listing of all route destinations => views the available companies; highlights the currently selected one; ability to change contract.
     - no contract termination fee (or very small) and contract valid UFN.

- Airport relocation
     - contracts and companies should auto-move fully.

- Inflation & handling fee changes at companies?
      - Handling contract fees cannot be same years and years. How to notify the player of changes and when changes happen? If many changes is msgbox flooded?

- Own companies (later)
     - player's ability to create own handling companies that can sell services to own and other airlines; only to own base airports!
     - acting fully like AI handlers with fully the same functions
     - if player BC or closes base, handling moves to AI; resets prices.
     - some player control needed:
          * create company (airport, name, logo)
          * costs to get equipment, premises, staff..
          * calculation and showing of costs and incomes (how?)
          * setting of prices.
          * ..?

« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 12:53:22 PM by sami »

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 04:08:25 PM »
Notes:
- Each airport has at least 1 handling company, larger more. Same system as fuel companies.

Oh dear, modeling something new based on the least successful feature implemented in AWS - fuel contracts.

How about first fixing the fuel contracts - calculation of contract offer, so that it is not just another big airline penalty scheme, implementing multiple bases for fuel contracts correctly.  As is, it is completely wrong.  I was offered a contract price for a base with 7 aircraft that was higher than a contract offer for a base with 600 aircraft.

This, like fuel contracts, and in-flight service is just going on another tangent, adding nothing to the core simulation.

Online Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 04:29:04 PM »
adding nothing to the core simulation.

Wrong....

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 04:58:59 PM »
I think outsourcing ground handling thus reducing staff numbers will be good as large staff base is one of the problems in AWS (although staff salary is used somewhat as a balance mechanism to reduce high margins), it will especially benefit small airlines. EDIT: Airlines flying small aircraft.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 05:20:39 PM by alexgv1 »
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 06:29:43 PM »
I think outsourcing ground handling thus reducing staff numbers will be good as large staff base is one of the problems in AWS (although staff salary is used somewhat as a balance mechanism to reduce high margins), it will especially benefit small airlines.

LOL.  Let's suspend the laws of economics in yet another area and pretend that you can sign a ground handling contract for 1 flight, 50 pax per day at a price cheaper than an airline delivering 4 flights, 600 pax per day.  That seems to be the new direction of AWS.

BTW, 2 wrong assumptions in your post:
1. AWS already favors small airlines on staffing levels.  Full staffing levels do not kick in until you have certain number of aircraft in operation.  That is fine for game playability
2. Intention of this outsourcing of ground handling is to make airlines flying small aircraft viable

But as we all know, road to hell is paved with good intentions, this will be no exception.  AWS is already plagued by the fact that large aircraft is not viable on the routes where competition with smaller aircraft is possible.  Right now, 777, 340, 747, 380 is not a viable aircraft anywhere A300, 330, 767, 757 can fly, or even where 739, A321 can fly with a tech stop.

Making even smaller aircraft viable is going to extend the frequency plague to the entire world in AWS.

Unless the frequency is tamed, along the lines Jona suggested (greater distance, lower frequency bonus), the effect of making even smaller aircraft financially viable is going to doom AWS.  Just one of the unintended consequences...

IMO, higher priority should be first fixing (in order of importance):
1. frequency - it is just overwhelming, needs to be tamed
2. fleet commonality - just plain wrong as is in 1.3
3. fuel contract - just plain wrong as is.  It would be irrelevant, except the fact that it is going to be basis of future "contracts"
4. ground handling - maybe after 1. and 3. have been fixed, but still, way below the importance of things like passenger connectivity.  But I can understand that Sami wants to get all of the game flying mechanics done before taking on a huge project like passenger connectivity, city based demand.

IMO, other than fixing 1, 2, potentially 3, the highest priority should be creating an environment for new and casual players, where they can go through all phases of creating an airline in a semi-sandbox environment.

I wish I could find an interview with Sid Meier, a legend of computer game design.  Paraphrasing, game should keep offering players rewards, fun, satisfaction, and challenge at the same time.  AWS does not do that for players who end up in a full game worlds that they are not ready for.  Perhaps AWS players are more masochistic than overall computer game playing population, since there are still 400+ airlines in AWS MT5, for example, half of them with less than 10 aircraft, while getting few rewards along the way...

Thinking of new ways of punishing big airlines for growing big suspending the basic laws of economics does not solve anything either...
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 05:26:24 PM by JumboShrimp »

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 05:20:12 PM »
BTW, 2 wrong assumptions in your post:
1. AWS already favors small airlines on staffing levels.  Full staffing levels do not kick in until you have certain number of aircraft in operation.  That is fine for game playability
2. Intention of this outsourcing of ground handling is to make airlines flying small aircraft viable

I meant airlines which fly small aircraft, not small airlines. Realised my mistake but have been away from PC.

You watch your tone son, I haven't even read the rest of your post, judging by the arrogant nature I doubt I will give your writings any credit.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 05:36:21 PM by alexgv1 »
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.