Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: What's with the corruption in my Personnel Office?  (Read 1814 times)

Offline Topflite

• Members
What's with the corruption in my Personnel Office?
« on: August 28, 2009, 02:49:58 PM »
I've had my Personnel Office set to Auto for management of staff and wages for most of this game (Air Travel Boom 2) and everything has gone well until a few (game) weeks ago.

As I had just put on 2 extra aircraft I checked up on my Personnel to find they had all given themselves a pay rise to double the suggested level and also given all their friends jobs - the staff level was up to 140%.

My little airline has been struggling for a long time and I can't afford to pay double the suggested wage, so I changed Personnel control back to manual, set staffing back to 100% and fired the surplus staff, and cut the wages to the suggested level. Well didn't s*&t hit the fan, CI went down to 28 (from 72), moral plumeted from 90s to 11, and "unmotivated staff" now cause 46% of delays and 84% of cancellations.

So I put on my Union hat and handed back control of the wages and staff levels to Automatic, but the little bastards just doubled their pay again and rehired their friends!! Now 2 weeks later moral is down to -2!! At least CI is up to 32 thanks to advertising.

What gives? I've given these workers a fair wage and good conditions, not to mention they have a nice place to live and a good boss.

There is nothing in the manual about this. I understand the correlation of moral to flight cancellations and CI. But what's with the wages being double the suggested level and having so many more staff than required? Is this a bug, has French Polynesia turned in to a social welfare state, or am I missing something else??

Offline Nonkan

• Members
Re: What's with the corruption in my Personnel Office?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 04:17:39 PM »
Well, exactly the same thing happened me in lovley India. I bk:ed because of it and moved to Brazil where the union isn't that strong.

I use manual staffing now and keep the levels at 100%, that's not much work. I made the change early in the game so the CI hit was not bad att all.

I do think there is a problem with the automatic wages. I tried to set the wage manually, but i saw that the change would cut the salaries in half, so wise after the last game, I dint save. I just let my bastard personell work with double the suggested salary, I make money anyway.

Maybe you could post this in the bugs section and let me now when the problem is fixed. Sure, I like my personell, but I don't think they are worth double salary :/

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 04:51:12 PM »
Automatic staff system does not ever FIRE any staff, that's mentioned there. So if you have scaled down the operations the staff is not reduced until you decide so - as firing staff has very bad effects inside your firm..

Also, automatic staffing never hires 140% of required either, it's between 100-106% (explanation why you may have had such figure is the previous thing I mentioned). Neither doubles the salaries. It sets them to the level suggested every 6 months (or something that way), and you can see the suggested level yourself by pressing the disk icon next to each staff group too - OR gives them at least a 5% yearly raise if the salary level before setting it to automatic has been higher. If you have not given them a raise (they will ask for it) for the last 12 months or so the jump can be around +10-15% if the inflation is bad but hardly double.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 05:06:11 PM by sami »

Offline Nonkan

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 04:55:06 PM »
Automatic staff system does not ever FIRE any staff, that's mentioned there. So if you have scaled down the operations the staff is not reduced until you decide so - as firing staff has very bad effects inside your firm..

Also, automatic staffing never hires 140% of required either, it's between 100-106% (explanation why you may have had such figure is the previous thing I mentioned).

Yes, but the main concern was that of the wage being double the one suggested. If I change to manuall wages and reset the wage to the suggested level I recon my CI will take a great hit, thus I don't dare trying.

Offline Topflite

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 01:02:52 PM »
Yes, but the main concern was that of the wage being double the one suggested.

Well we tried to tell them, and there certainly seems to be some anomaly,  but all we get is "the system does this and the system doesn't do that bla bla bla".

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 01:21:20 PM »
Like I said in previous message: The automatic salary does not put them into a "double salary" or hire 140% staff. It raises the salaries automatically so that the raises are overall ~5-6% a year in comparison to the value what it was when the setting was turned on. So the system does not simply do that if user does not make any changes. The staff/salary systems have been unchanged since the first version so I really do not think that there are any such bugs in it.

The only possible scenario what I can think of is that you have first raised their salaries yourself, then have set it to automatic, so it starts to raise the salaries the standard 5% a year compared to that already high starting point salary. I added a small check to avoid that from now on although it's not really realistic as of course a company can pay more to their employees and usually raises come compared to their salary, not compared to salary of others (=the "suggested" / "standard" wage) - but this should even out the differences in a long term.

I have just checked the salaries of a couple of other random airlines in the game and they are just normal ..

btw. personnel management is a simple system, if you have ideas on how to make it more comprehensive drop a msg to Feature req's forum.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 01:25:33 PM by sami »

Offline Topflite

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 07:52:45 PM »
...........The automatic salary does not put them into a "double salary" or hire 140% staff. It raises the salaries automatically so that the raises are overall ~5-6% a year in comparison to the value what it was when the setting was turned on. .............. so I really do not think that there are any such bugs in it.

btw. personnel management is a simple system, if you have ideas on how to make it more comprehensive drop a msg to Feature req's forum.

Ok, so you're saying long previous user inputs and subsequent system accumulation of those inputs, even though wages in the mean time have been set to Automatic, can result (over years) in personnel cost/wages far in excess of the original manually set level? But theoretically only +5% p.a.

Remaining constructive, can you explain whats going on with my staff now? In an effort to appease my very p***ed off staff (moral was -100%), I manually increased wages to suggested level +50%, then suggested level +100%, but the moral has only increased to -46%! I would have though that any work force being paid so much more than the suggested level would really be very happy, but my staff aren't and they are crippling my airline. What's wrong with them?

Is there any chance the "suggested wage" level is wrong? $450 a month for Ground handlers, and $700 a month for Cabin Crew, in 1998 seems pretty low.

I've completed the Airwaysim Survey and I am really very happy with this game, however taking the challenge of basing an airline at a tiny airport and being at the mercy of every other airline, highlights small details which are are easily over looked when you're operating a large airline. I will certainly let you know if I have any ideas on making a better "system".

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 05:05:20 AM »
Yes. If you set the salary to 3000 when they "should have been paid" around 2000 they will still want their raises based on the $3000 .. as otherwise they wouldn't get any raise for ages. If it is on the automatic all the time then it's that 5% a year, about, but if the player chooses to raise them at some point and turns the autom. back on, the baseline for the salary on which raises are based is that current level.

The morale also raises slowly, it's not instant in so large scales upwards. WIth that high salary I guess it takes a few months or so to reach 0 level (can't remember the specs).

The suggested wages depend on the country you are based on, if it's some outside the wealthier ones then the nominal salaries are lower too.

Bettyb

• Former member
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 09:09:49 AM »
With the % of staff, if you scale down operations you end up with too many staff.....
what if you scale down operations for a (game) year then scale them back up? do you end up with way to many staff or does the automatic system deal with this?

My scenario is that I've just got rid of 5 regional jets so my staff level is at 117%, but in a few months i get some ATR's and a few months after get some airbus'.

Offline Pai

• Members
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 10:22:58 AM »
you simply fired too many staff at once.

If you can do this in a few times, each time the moral drop to 75 and you wait it back to 100 and start another cut...
Lunar Airways

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 10:24:12 AM »
what if you scale down operations for a (game) year then scale them back up? do you end up with way to many staff or does the automatic system deal with this?

Forgot to reply .. Once more, the autostaff NEVER fires any staff. That's always your responsibility if you are confident enough to do that. But if your operations are only smaller for a small time like 6 months I think you wouldn't fire the staff in reality, just extend the old planes for a bit or otherwise "keep them busy". But I wouldn't fire them in-game either as you are surely re-hiring them soon back and all you get is a negative effect for firing people.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.