Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Range of Convair Jets  (Read 1573 times)

highlander1715

• Former member
Range of Convair Jets
« on: August 27, 2009, 02:21:06 PM »
I had not noticed in earlier games but having decided to try the Convair 990 as an opening aircraft in this game I note its range is incorrect.  The 880 is ranged at 1490 nm and the 990 at 1610.

Wikipedia and other sources give the range of the 990 at 4700nm approx.   The aircraft was American Airlines request to Convair to design an aircraft suitable for coast-to-coast shuttle flights. The aircraft needed non-stop capability westbound from JFK to LAX, the direction it which it would encounter greatest headwinds. They also wanted somewhat larger passenger capacity than the 880, which was the smallest of the first-generation US jet-powered airliners.  Since the distance from JFK to LAX is 2145nm Convair would have failed to meet American's requirement and the plane would never have been built!

The 990 was also used in transatlantic flights by Swissair, Varig and SAS, unless they used in-flight refueling this would have been a bit of a push!

Looking forward to a resolution, kindest regards,

Graham

[attachment deleted by admin]

Talentz

• Former member
Re: Range of Convair Jets
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 07:57:39 PM »
Erm, good sir. I remember reading that the CV-990 didn't meet the range requirement that AA wanted. This was after they were produced and delivered.

No CV-990 had 4700nm.. 707 and DC-8s were known to have far greater range then any CV-990 Srs aircraft...

Besides, Wiki is not a erm.. accurate source of information. Anyone can edit Wiki.. You mentioned other sources, could you please post them?

Talentz

highlander1715

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 10:39:50 PM »
Americanís president, C.R. Smith, envisioned a high-speed transcontinental service that would operate at a blazing 635 mph, shaving as much as 45 minutes off of the 707 and DC-8 operating times for a New York-to-Los Angeles flight. Desperate to make its jet airliner program viable, Convair agreed to meet Americanís speed requirement by upgrading the 880 with a fuselage stretch of 10 feet to increase seating capacity, more powerful General Electric CJ-805 turbofan engines (the first time an airliner had been designed around turbofans), anti-skid brakes (another airliner first), enhanced landing gear and a hydraulic rudder control system. In addition, Convair contractually guaranteed that the new plane would be able to achieve a 635 mph cruising speed, with significant cash penalties paid to the customer airline if that speed performance could not be met. Convair was putting its soul on the bargaining table just to keep in the game.
The resulting aircraft, which essentially became a new model rather than simply an upgraded 880, was launched as the Convair 990 in August 1958 with an American Airlines order for 25 aircraft. The lengthened fuselage allowed an increased seating capacity of 98-110 in a typical two-class configuration, and maximum range was extended to 4,400 miles. The only other customers at this point were SAS, for two planes, and Swissair, for seven, replacing an earlier Swissair order for five 880s.
http://www.airliners.net/aviation-articles/read.main?id=67  (gives range of 4400 miles (3823nm))

http://www.aviastar.org/air/usa/convair-990.php  (gives range of 990 as 3800 miles (3302nm))

http://www.super70s.com/super70s/tech/aviation/aircraft/Convair-990.asp   (gives range of 990 as 3200 miles (2780nm))

Early American Jetliners by Ugo Vicenzi lists the ranges of the Convair jets as follows:
CV880 5040km (2719nm);  CV880M 5450km (2940nm);  CV990 6115km (3299nm)

However I accept that in practice the 990 failed to meet American's requirements and could not reach the 635mph speed written into the contract and could not make the JFK-LAX run with a full load.  The point I suppose is what loss of load resulted from attempting the run in one jump and frankly I could not make a profit on them anyway so have bankrupted out and tried again with different airliners.

Kind regards

Graham

Talentz

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 05:21:47 AM »
Heya Graham, thank you for your sources. Seems.. they were almost the same as mine.. when I added the data for the Convair 880 and 990.

Early American Jetliners by Ugo Vicenzi lists the ranges of the Convair jets as follows:
CV880 5040km (2719nm);  CV880M 5450km (2940nm);  CV990 6115km (3299nm)

gives range of 990 as 3800 miles (3302nm))

gives range of 990 as 3800 miles (3302nm))

This was the range I was getting from my sources as well. Generally, 2800-3200nm. Since the 990 couldn't carry a full load 2145nm, that's when I figured 2800-3200nm was more like a "max range, empty w/o fuel reserves."

Thus, its typical range must have been sub 2000nm.

Now Sami, has finally authority on performance data entry. So maybe it does need maybe 200-300nm more range. But, since in RL it couldn't carry a full load on the JFK-LAX run, it shouldn't have more then 2000nm, I would think.

Anything more then that and it would be up to Sam Sam to decide ;)

Talentz

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.