Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Airlines dwindling  (Read 4220 times)

Offline ekaneti

• Members
Airlines dwindling
« on: August 18, 2009, 10:26:38 PM »
Well two weeks in and the number or airlines has dropped by more than 20. In the last couple of days nearly 10 airlines dropped out

Offline oggie84

• Members
Re: Airlines dwindling
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 04:37:52 PM »
Some people have left because it was actually an easy game in a way. Take me for example. I made profit from day one. Then before i decided to quit i had 60 aircraft - 30 of them sat around doing nothing yet i was still making healthy profits and was about 4th in airline value. I'd already pretty much exhausted all my routes so it became unexciting for me and i felt there was no challenge at all, even though it was a supposedly 'hard' game. A few other people i'd spoke to said the same things.

mukk

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 10:13:19 PM »
Some people have left because it was actually an easy game in a way. Take me for example. I made profit from day one. Then before i decided to quit i had 60 aircraft - 30 of them sat around doing nothing yet i was still making healthy profits and was about 4th in airline value. I'd already pretty much exhausted all my routes so it became unexciting for me and i felt there was no challenge at all, even though it was a supposedly 'hard' game. A few other people i'd spoke to said the same things.

well, the game is 'hard' because there's not enough room for all players to expand. if you chose a smaller airport without competition it's your own 'fault'... try a major hub in the states and you'll get your rear end handed to you pretty quickly.

Offline Sigma

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 01:05:17 PM »
Of course the game's gonna be easy if you fly out an airport about 2000 miles away from just about everyone else to a network of airports no one else is serving.  And even easier if you quit before fuel spikes.  
Right now there's only about a dozen airlines in the entire game even turning an appreciable profit and that number is falling fast as fuel prices continue to rise.  Every route on the first 4 pages of routes out of my home airport has got 200-400% of demand met, the only routes you can hope to fly on that don't have 200% of demand already on them are those with less than 80 demand per day, and those should all be gone within the next couple days.

Props to SSV for utterly whooping it though.

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 11:36:54 AM »
I am soon to be out of the game.  85% load factors and I still cant turn a profit.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 03:30:32 PM »
I am soon to be out of the game.  85% load factors and I still cant turn a profit.

huh?

Even with the high fuel prices of today my airline with Y avg 73% and C avg 52% is making a nice profit .. something in the basic structure of your airline?

(fyi, making a 2mil / week with a fleet of 19x MD-81, all leased)

mukk

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 04:27:10 PM »
I am soon to be out of the game.  85% load factors and I still cant turn a profit.

you have 5 fleettypes, way too much for your fleetsize.

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 04:35:56 PM »
commonality isnt what is killing me... I know this game enough.

mukk

• Former member
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 05:04:06 PM »
commonality isnt what is killing me... I know this game enough.

you pay about 1-2mil.$ more a month than with only 2 fleet types, you don't think that's a problem?

Offline Pai

• Members
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 05:30:02 AM »
...no challenge at all...

Well, come to KATL and let's play together in next game while the fuel price is 800 :-)
Lunar Airways

L1011fan

• Former member
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 09:23:01 PM »
I find commonality is very,very helpful, but its not the "end all, be all" that others are suggesting. You won't neccessarily lose an airline simply because of that. I would suggest, that if you are going to mix aircraft types, keep them similar such as BAC-111's and DC-9s. In another words the number of engines and range similarities and so on. I also wouldn't have 5 types (which I have done and wasn't bad in itself) but 3 has never hurt me. Use what best suits your route. Thats what has worked for me. This is meant only if you find yourself in the position of HAVING to do it if you need to jump on something quickly. Not for the sake of simply doing it because its fun (and it is, but...) :)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 09:25:02 PM by L1011fan »

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.