Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Look at this!  (Read 1682 times)

Mascalzone

• Former member
Look at this!
« on: August 09, 2009, 10:42:32 AM »
I was just checking some airports to open new routes, and I found this at KORD:

Obviously the KORD-KDTW is completely broken:

Why is he doing that? Just to option the slots or is it also remunerative?

I think that fly those huge widebodies on that shorthaul routes has to be not, or small regional commuter airline like mine have no chance.

Well, and I was curios of what sort of results can lead this strange scheduling. That's it:

It seems that he's making huge amount of money with this strategy.

Someone could explain how it works?

« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 10:52:20 AM by Mascalzone »

Offline Unbornio

• Members
Re: Look at this!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 10:56:04 AM »
Lol. Some of those flights have potential. Most of them are "overnight" flights I think. So he doesn't want his planes being on the ground and not earning money. It isn't really a good way to earn money since you'll be stuffed with low percentage of plane maintenance.

That or he's just crazy and wants the slots.

So it isn't how he got all those planes, check his other routes, they're the money makers.
Beta Tester

Mascalzone

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 11:04:26 AM »
So it isn't how he got all those planes, check his other routes, they're the money makers.
Sure it's not, he's flying many longhaul routes. What I mean is that it's just a nonsense to fly those jumbos on a 200nm route... Just want to know how much money he's loosing for doing that "exploit" (if he's loosing money...)

Offline Unbornio

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 11:08:22 AM »
Sure it's not, he's flying many longhaul routes. What I mean is that it's just a nonsense to fly those jumbos on a 200nm route... Just want to know how much money he's loosing for doing that "exploit" (if he's loosing money...)

I think he is breaking even or even earning... If you look on the days section, you'll see that each flight only operates on one day.
Beta Tester

Mascalzone

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 11:16:50 AM »
I think he is breaking even or even earning... If you look on the days section, you'll see that each flight only operates on one day.
Yeah, but he uses same day-same time schedule for many flights... why?

Offline Unbornio

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 11:20:32 AM »
Slots.
Beta Tester

DenisG

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 11:28:30 AM »
Well, that strategy is not simply about slots. Especially not this early in the game. By crafting only single-day routes, you gain a lot more flexibility. E.g. you can see exactly how much profit you produce per day and market share of the day, as Mondays and Fridays usually are different. You can also fly different prices on different days of the week in order to weaken your competitors in a sneaky way, as he will not see the impact that quick, as he usually looks at the route averages. Further, you can combine different connections much easier and get your plane schedules up. You have better leverage against image deterioration when planes go into c-check when you fly the route with 7 different planes e.g. Etc. etc. It is much more work to setup but it is quite nice to have as it makes things much more transparent. There are a number of players, including me, who started to implement this and it has proven quite successful so far.

Denis

Offline Unbornio

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 11:36:02 AM »
Well, that strategy is not simply about slots. Especially not this early in the game. By crafting only single-day routes, you gain a lot more flexibility. E.g. you can see exactly how much profit you produce per day and market share of the day, as Mondays and Fridays usually are different. You can also fly different prices on different days of the week in order to weaken your competitors in a sneaky way, as he will not see the impact that quick, as he usually looks at the route averages. Further, you can combine different connections much easier and get your plane schedules up. You have better leverage against image deterioration when planes go into c-check when you fly the route with 7 different planes e.g. Etc. etc. It is much more work to setup but it is quite nice to have as it makes things much more transparent. There are a number of players, including me, who started to implement this and it has proven quite successful so far.

Denis

1. Too much micromanagement.

2. Doesn't explain why he's operating that many on this certain route.
Beta Tester

Mascalzone

• Former member
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 11:41:05 AM »
Yep, that's crazy! But thanks for the reply Denis, it clarified the question about the route strategy.

Guys do you think he's earning money on that route? That's the main problem, for me as CEO. I mean: this aspect of the game is well balanced or not?

And KORD is not so congested, yet. How this slot policy could be justified?

Offline Unbornio

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 11:43:12 AM »
Yep, that's crazy! But thanks for the reply Denis, it clarified the question about the route strategy.

Guys do you think he's earning money on that route? That's the main problem, for me as CEO.

And KORD is not so congested, yet. How this slot policy could be justified?

In the real world... especially at LHR, airlines fly empty planes to keep their slots. Considering this is a "simulation", it can't be justified  ;D
Beta Tester

Offline oggie84

• Members
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2009, 05:45:24 PM »
Or it could be he's using the other airports as secondary hubs. With this approach he can jump on high demand routes from his own base and do it all over again from his secondary bases. By flying short routes to other big airports it wont do him much harm profitability wise because he'll more than make up for it flying to huge demand routes out of his hubs. My guess is he'll make a ton of money until the competitiors at those other airports start to compete with him.

Talentz

• Former member
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2009, 06:00:24 PM »
Looks normal to me. He's using LAX as a small hub. I assume he's taking the LH routes from LAX, as, there are more at LAX then DTW. Not uncommon. In fact, starting to become the norm.

The best way to defend against hub invaders is to flood your own routes. Or, if you cant flood every route. Then just the ones that person is on. If you make the route unprofitable, then no one in there right mind will fly on it. As, they wont make any money doing so.

But alas, since it takes more skill to defend then attack, this will continue to be a well used effective strategy.

Talentz

Offline ekaneti

• Members
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2009, 10:38:52 PM »
He did that in previous games as well. Believe it or not I think he makes $$$$$ doing that

DenisG

• Former member
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 08:20:47 AM »
Yes, in his case, it's a hub strategy, no doubt. Protecting slots this way is too early in the game for Detroit or LAX. He optimizes his routes on daily scheduling. So he has something big in mind...
Denis

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.