Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: A reminder ...  (Read 2703 times)

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
A reminder ...
« on: August 01, 2009, 04:57:18 PM »
Just as a reminder. As the calculations have been tuned you will see results that are not similar to previous games, if you've played them.

The company & route image variables are more dominant now, and so is the seat config effect.

In short - when you start your airline the company is unknown and all the routes are new and unknown to public. This means that you CAN NOT attract full planes right from the start unless your pricing is very low. So with near-deafult pricing you can except some 30-50% load factors, depending a bit on how large route you operate.

To cope with this (see manual) there are three main ways .. 1) let the time go by & fly the route, this raises the route image (awareness). 2) marketing (raises company image, and route images), 3) lower prices (lowering prices will attract more people). If you lower prices, remember to pump them up again then you're company and route are more known.

The seat config effects have also been improved. So flying longhaulers with high density seating doesn't give very good results anymore.

Dazwalsh

• Former member
Re: A reminder ...
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 05:45:30 PM »
Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere i havent been around in a while here but is standard seating ok to use on long haul?

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 05:49:13 PM »
Depends on the flight duration. Longer than 7-8 hours is not recommended or you have to compensate more heavily with pricing .. roughly so. But you'll always gain better results with more luxurious config but it's a matter of balancing them.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 05:51:33 PM by sami »

Dazwalsh

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 05:52:41 PM »
i dont fancy changing the default config thats all haha its not too long of a flight so i should be ok.

Cheers Sami

Talentz

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 05:53:14 PM »
From what all bickering I am reading, it seems you still can. With decent results. However, instead of 99% LFs. You'll probably get 85% at max, So I'd expect 80% with little less then default prices.

Though if you use prem seating im sure you can get 100%.

What this means is you actually have to make a half decent seat config now. None of this stupid all HD seating. 

Talentz

marjo

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 07:12:52 PM »
Thanks for the reminder, although it is a bit late.

Personally I think the changes are good and a must for the game.
However, Sami, do you think we are going from one opposite to another opposite?

I think the logic is good when there are 2 airlines competing with each others AND the demand is smaller than the supply.

Think about a route with 1000 pax demand and there is only ONE airline offering the services. A 40% LF means only 100 pax (take a 200 pax A/C as an example). I understand that we are a new airline and the market has no confidence for us, but I still cannot convince myself for such a low LF. For me, it is contradicting between the LF and the demand.

If there is a demand and there is a route, how many customer will care about the CI and RI and seat type? I doubt about it.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 07:26:04 PM »
(no need to cross-post, replied at other thread)

DenisG

• Former member
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 07:32:26 PM »
Thanks for the reminder, although it is a bit late.

Personally I think the changes are good and a must for the game.
However, Sami, do you think we are going from one opposite to another opposite?

I think the logic is good when there are 2 airlines competing with each others AND the demand is smaller than the supply.

Think about a route with 1000 pax demand and there is only ONE airline offering the services. A 40% LF means only 100 pax (take a 200 pax A/C as an example). I understand that we are a new airline and the market has no confidence for us, but I still cannot convince myself for such a low LF. For me, it is contradicting between the LF and the demand.

If there is a demand and there is a route, how many customer will care about the CI and RI and seat type? I doubt about it.

Every demand curve has particular prohibitive pricing points. Nice to observe with the 'main carriers' and the 'low cost carriers'. The main carriers have generally managed to grow turnover and pax; the same happened with the low cost carriers. This occurs because they serve two very different pax demand categories, which sometimes overlap on routes and prices, but otherwise show very different behavioural patterns.

The same may hold as an explanation in our current new behavioural environment. It is very positive not too get pax that easily, simply because you have a monopoly on a certain route. In the last games, I found it way too easy to grow. If you compare the fluctuations in demand and offer that airlines experience in reality, it looks attractive to me to implement this in the game here as well. So far, you started your routes and basically let them unchanged throughout the game. To me that became boring after a while, so I am really looking forward to see some real challenges arising here, before the slot limits kick in.

And don't forget: Making money is not that easy, as it has occurred so far. I calculated a couple of weeks ago that the extreme growth in ATB1 and JA2 was largely contributed to the wrong tax repayment at the beginning the year (which could theoretically be exploited by buying a/c in December and selling them again in January; due to the non-asset value appreciation, this gave a nice profit on the sum, when your taxes were above 30% e.g.) and the missing depreciation in the income statement (in case you utilized loans). Without these two factors, the growth would already have been much slower - in my case I estimated around 50% in the early years.

So let's just face the tougher market conditions.

Denis

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 08:11:49 PM »
Also a Top Tip ... remember to leave some cash in reserve when you start as the first 6 months are always tricky. I forgot this myself (took a loan and leased planes to the last penny). :P

Offline Gaius Marius

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 02:58:02 AM »
Yeah ... me too.
"Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss"

NicholasB

• Former member
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009, 05:34:01 AM »
Hi,

I am really happy about these new developments. Sure it will be harder to play, but I think the realism is getting better with each game. Alot more thought has to go into planning. On another note, is there any progress regarding the HUB issue?

Thanks Sami,

NicholasB

Offline freshmore

• Members
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2009, 08:19:07 PM »
and still i don't listen!
 :laugh:

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.