Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Permanent Alliance(s) v1  (Read 8650 times)

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
Re: Permanent Alliance(s) v1
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2011, 11:47:04 AM »
Honestly it would be nice (if it's technically possible) if Alliance moderators could extend the forum to 2-3 subforums. For example "general talk", "guides", "internal applications future gameworlds".

Single forum per alliance per game world.

What when management decides this one member should not participate for one gameworld? Or if the specific person wants to try some sowjet aircraft only airline in Modern Times scenario and better not join his loved alliance?

Each member who is in a permanent alliance must be a member of this given alliance in all game worlds, or alternatively it could be done so that they are not allowed to join any other alliance then either (to prevent double membership). But making it "admin approval for membership for each game world" is not feasible technically or when looking at usability - since after all the member is already part of the alliance....

Maybe ignore min aircraft limit and maybe ignore 6 month rule as well. But that's a decision on your end.

Disadvantage to other players who have to wait 6 months and have necessary planes in order to gain access to alliance while others would get them straight away.

but maybe there's a way that avoid people decide against alliances because of a monthly fee.

It could be simply a flat fee to join also, but that may be bad if they have to temporarily remove a member for not having him to join the alliance to certain game world (as per above).

Offline BobTheCactus

• Members
    • AeroBlogger.com
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2011, 02:44:23 PM »
Honestly it would be nice (if it's technically possible) if Alliance moderators could extend the forum to 2-3 subforums. For example "general talk", "guides", "internal applications future gameworlds".
+1
It should be possible to administrate this group and invite people simply with their username. So no hard limit like 50 people or so. An invitation (will you join that group? Yes/No) could prevent spam.
+1
Kicking people out of that group should also be possible as well as being in more than one group (if an alliance doesn't participate in a gameworld).
+1
What when management decides this one member should not participate for one gameworld? Or if the specific person wants to try some sowjet aircraft only airline in Modern Times scenario and better not join his loved alliance?
I know you said that this would be hard to implement, but it is a very important feature, for a couple reasons: firstly, more than 25 members may be in a given gameworld, and since it would be unfair to only allow permanent alliances to have more than 25 members, cuts would have to be made. With cuts, the issue is that the managers should be able to choose who gets cut, rather than whoever replies to the invite first is into the alliance for a given gameworld. Also, if multiple alliance members base at the same airport, etc., problems can be created.
Maybe ignore min aircraft limit and maybe ignore 6 month rule as well. But that's a decision on your end.
no, the aircraft min and 6 month limit is fine as it is. It's like the alliance is inactive, and the alliance becomes active once 3 managers do the same thing that they do currently...
The alliance is deleted when it is requested to you or it is inactive for x gameworlds.
+1
Forming could be done with send an E-Mail to you if you think it's not worth to code a special tool.
whatever is easier
Honestly I don't think alliances will be this popular when you have to pay 2 credits (or: two credits more than people without alliances). In fact the only advantage is community so especially "random people" will hardly join or instead of a permanent alliance people use to do it in the same way as now. :/ A one time fee to establish it is ok and maybe a maintain fee every 6 month or so.
This would change if being in an alliance actually had some game engine benifits - apart from the elusive LF boost that barely covers, if at all, the alliance fee currently, I think that being in an alliance should have some real
benifit. If the benifit was good, then people would probably be more willing to pay their precious credits to join an alliance.

A couple other things:

A permanent alliance should be able to have upto 9 managers: there are 3 gameworlds running concurrently, and some members only play in 1 or 2 gameworlds at a time. Therefore, having upto 9 managers will be useful, because it allows flexibility for who will manage in a given gameworld.

Each member who is in a permanent alliance must be a member of this given alliance in all game worlds, or alternatively it could be done so that they are not allowed to join any other alliance then either (to prevent double membership). But making it "admin approval for membership for each game world" is not feasible technically or when looking at usability - since after all the member is already part of the alliance....
I really don't like this idea. From a usability standpoint, it should be possible to implement an "admin approval for membership in each gameworld". Perhfaps by when a given members says "yes, I plan to participate in this gameworld", a list of all alliance members who plan to participate will be sent to the managers. Then, they can either say "accept" or "reject" or maybe even "waitlist", and a message will be sent to the user in question with the decision. It's like each player applies to be in the alliance for a specific gameworld, just like it is currently. If a player is rejected, then they are free to go join another alliance. Joining another alliance shouldn't kick you out of the first alliance; you can be in a different alliance if you want for a specific gameworld, but you should only be allowed to be in one permanent alliance at a given time.
Disadvantage to other players who have to wait 6 months and have necessary planes in order to gain access to alliance while others would get them straight away.
this wouldn't cause a problem, since they would be able to see the alliance board for the permanent alliance, even if they can't see the alliance board for the specific gameworld...
Editor of AeroBlogger
If you're interested in blogging on aviation 3x/month or more:
http://AeroBlogger.com/Write

ICEcoldair881

• Former member
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2011, 06:56:20 AM »
I guess I'm bumping this topic; I think that one way we could implement the managers is if, say, 10 members form a perm alliance, as soon as one of those members joins gameworld A, the alliance would be formed and managed automatically by him/her, until another manager joins that game. BUT - when another member joins gameworld B, the alliance in that respective gameworld will be automatically formed and managed by him/her, and will be separate (in terms of managers) from the alliance in gameworld A.

Just a thought of how it could be implemented easier. :)

Cheers,
ICEcold

Talentz

• Former member
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2011, 10:54:09 PM »
Let me take today and tommr to read up on what was said, then we can move this issue forward since it seems thats what sami is suggesting :)

~ Happy to say that things are mostly back to normal now :D

Talentz

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2011, 12:43:51 AM »
Let me take today and tommr to read up on what was said, then we can move this issue forward since it seems thats what sami is suggesting :)

~ Happy to say that things are mostly back to normal now :D

Talentz

WHERE THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN?

Offline BobTheCactus

• Members
    • AeroBlogger.com
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2011, 08:09:19 PM »
bump.

Faster is better sami ;)
Editor of AeroBlogger
If you're interested in blogging on aviation 3x/month or more:
http://AeroBlogger.com/Write

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2011, 10:31:18 PM »
How about another idea:  Private forums independent of games and alliances.  The primary role for such forum would be for permanent alliances to communicate, but these private forums would be free standing, for long term alliance use, not tied to any game.

The current per game alliance forums would remain as they currently are.

Some alliances have third party forums, but you can't beat the convenience of all AWS related communication being on AWS.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2011, 04:59:39 PM »
How about another idea:  Private forums independent of games and alliances.  The primary role for such forum would be for permanent alliances to communicate, but these private forums would be free standing, for long term alliance use, not tied to any game.

This would be far easier, I thought of this issue today again and seems that making all the interfaces to manage the things will be time wasted, compared to the small gains. The feature should actually perhaps be named 'permanent alliance forums'.

Only issue with this is that if we have members in perm.alliance forum, then in my mind they cannot join any other alliance in any running game world, as that is bound to create conflicts.

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2011, 06:31:25 PM »
This would be far easier, I thought of this issue today again and seems that making all the interfaces to manage the things will be time wasted, compared to the small gains. The feature should actually perhaps be named 'permanent alliance forums'.

Only issue with this is that if we have members in perm.alliance forum, then in my mind they cannot join any other alliance in any running game world, as that is bound to create conflicts.

I think the simplest way would be to leave it completely open, and let the alliance moderators deal with any conflicts or memberships in multiple forums.  Programing the limitations would only resulting more requests for exceptions etc.  As long as the moderators can see the list of members and which of the members are moderators, I think they can figure everything out.

vitongwangki

• Former member
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2011, 03:58:36 AM »
I think the simplest way would be to leave it completely open, and let the alliance moderators deal with any conflicts or memberships in multiple forums.  Programing the limitations would only resulting more requests for exceptions etc.  As long as the moderators can see the list of members and which of the members are moderators, I think they can figure everything out.

I agree some players would like to join different alliances in different gameworlds. Dealing with every possible conflicts is difficult by setting up tight rules. I guess the alliance moderators can deal with every case, giving more flexibility to alliances.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2012, 08:34:02 AM »
And once more, any thoughts on this matter still possibly?

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2012, 01:32:16 AM »
And once more, any thoughts on this matter still possibly?

My opinion is that it is not worth investment of time to program anything special.  The only thing useful might forums not tied to game worlds that would have some moderators.  Alliance would inform you who the moderators are...  and the moderators would control membership in this forum...

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2012, 01:34:14 AM »
My opinion is that it is not worth investment of time to program anything special.  The only thing useful might forums not tied to game worlds that would have some moderators.  Alliance would inform you who the moderators are...  and the moderators would control membership in this forum...

Simple system like that would suffice for me. With a sub forum for every game world the alliance is active in, and a general forum for non active members to also post in.
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2012, 12:56:02 PM »
Hmm, ok. I still would like to cut the middleman (me) out of the process and make it automated (but simple)... but have to think what is easiest.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2012, 05:49:01 PM »
btw. Besides of alliance related things, what other functions or features you would see beneficial in regards of community-building. Something like a friends feature, or online chat, or something of that sort?

Aerlingus1916

• Former member
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2012, 06:03:58 PM »
Good idea Talentz but I prefer to create alliances :)

Aerlingus1916

• Former member
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2012, 06:10:46 PM »
Sami, in regard to your last post I think it would be really cool if there could be a 'Live Group Chat' instead of static messages that you have to send.

Regards,
John

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
a330erlingus. CEO of Far East International, Kuwait, Beginners World 18.

Offline chiveicrook

• Members
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2012, 06:12:06 PM »
World specific shoutboxes maybe?

Talentz

• Former member
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2012, 08:25:00 PM »
The feature should actually perhaps be named 'permanent alliance forums'.

This would probably the best Idea to bring forward. Alliances choose there moderators for such a forum and also there respective members they can add/subtract from the roster who can see the forum.

We can mimic the alliance invite seen in the game world for inviting/adding members to the Permanent Alliance Forum. Giving the player the option to accept or decline.

"Talentz" of "The Star Alliance Group" has invited you to the Alliance's permanent forum. As a member of that respective alliance, you are not allowed to join another alliance's permanent forum. Do you accept being a permanent member? You have 7 days (real time) to decide.

Something like that would work.

btw. Besides of alliance related things, what other functions or features you would see beneficial in regards of community-building. Something like a friends feature, or online chat, or something of that sort?

Sami, in regard to your last post I think it would be really cool if there could be a 'Live Group Chat' instead of static messages that you have to send.

Yes. A sort of real time chat in the forums as a side bar. Where we chat to everyone. I rarely use the IRC channel. I assume it's the same for mostly everyone.

Would it be possible to throw something together?

Talentz

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2014, 08:49:53 AM »
Bump for comments to this thread.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.