Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Maintenance and "spare" aircraft.  (Read 4363 times)

odo

• Former member
Maintenance and "spare" aircraft.
« on: September 29, 2007, 10:56:49 PM »
Large fleet and maintenance is starting to be quite an issue now. I have 100 aircraft on my fleet and any given time at least few are in maintenance. On the real world large airlines obviously can't stop certain flights because of maintenance.

At current state, one would have to manually copy the schedule from aircraft to another while the aircraft is in maintenance. This is way to time consuming to do up to 5 aircraft each turn.

What I would like to see:
-You can designate aircraft as "spare" and when aircraft of that type goes into maintenance, the spare aircraft will take over the schedule of the other aircraft.
-There would be a warning if the spare aircraft couldn't fly all the routes of the original aircraft for some reason(like range). However, it would fly the routes it could.
-After the maintenance, original aircraft would resume flying normally and the spare aircraft would return to pool of spare aircraft.
-You could designate as much spare aircraft as you like.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 11:33:28 AM by sami »

Offline jmi

• Administrator
  • Members
Re: Maintenance and "spare" aircraft.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 11:43:36 AM »

Also you should take care about that planes have different cruising speeds and turnaround times. Solution could be that AC starts first flight in morning. And when it arrives back from route it will fly next flight If next route is not already departed. Otherway told, aircraft will depart to next route if it is back on time from previous route.

And how we do that is we have, for example, 2 spare planes and there is three planes on C-check. Whagt routes these 2 planes will fly? Easiest way is just to drop random planes routes from that week schedule.

But this start to be quite urgent thing with bigger companies.

- J

Online Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
Re: Maintenance and "spare" aircraft.
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 10:12:20 PM »
Should the spare planes be limited to the same aircraft fleet type, or should there be cross-fleet flying also?  So that A320 could spare for Embraer's for example? That's how it works in real life but due to the huge amount on variations in aircraft details (range, rwy requirement, turnaround times) and such things that may get too complex.

Also jmi's suggestion is a bit hard to make too perhaps. In my mind the replacement plane should stick on the schedule of the replaced plane only, so 1 vs. 1 situation. Otherwise it may be too hard to automatically pick the suitable flights from the schedules to fly, etc.

odo

• Former member
Re: [lst] Maintenance and "spare" aircraft.
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 12:13:53 AM »
I would say that no cross types. Spare could only be used to flight with same typed aircraft.

Offline jmi

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 12:35:20 PM »
Yep, that could do it. Only check (when assigning plane to replace plane on maintenance) that it has enough range.

- J

Online Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 09:01:30 PM »
I suppose original idea was to have automated spare aircraft in case automated maintenance checks are turned on?

If maint. is assigned manually then spare plane will be assigned manually too??  (there game could suggest that "you have xx planes marked as spare, do you wish to use this to replace the routes for the time of the maintenance")

odo

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 09:59:44 PM »
I really didn't think about that but what you are suggesting sounds good.

Maza

• Former member
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 10:07:04 AM »
This could be veeery useful!!

Ps. 16 aircrafts in maintenance  ;D

crivabene

• Former member
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 06:29:48 PM »
Sami, is this still on the to-do list? I would love to see this feature implemented in the next game, am I dreaming?? :)

Online Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 07:15:52 PM »
Haven't done this yet, sorry ;)

Offline Seattle

• Members
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 10:14:58 PM »
Im in Hawai'i,  ;D but this is a good idea. I also agree that a specific plane type in maintainance should be "replaced" by the same kind.
Founder of the Star Alliance!

AHToronto

• Former member
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008, 02:33:15 AM »
yes because what if your 747-400(for example)goes into maintenance from a Toronto to Moscow,long-way around, and all you have left is a de Havilland Canada DHC-8-100 :P as a spare. ;)

comet3506

• Former member
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2008, 04:36:56 AM »
Probably what the real airlines seem to do.... cancel flights lol.

AHToronto

• Former member
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2008, 08:41:15 PM »
i know smaal airlines do that ;)

Offline Seattle

• Members
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2008, 03:13:38 AM »
However, most airlines don't.  :)

You rarely see BA, UA, DL, AA, SQ, QA, LH, SK, SA, JJ, CX, .... cancel their flights due to a A, B, C, or D check...

AHToronto

• Former member
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2008, 09:17:01 PM »
AC for instance...they said online that say Fl.420 will be a 777-300, then when you see the plane you are about to get on at the airport, it's an E-175

Offline Seattle

• Members
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2008, 11:25:04 PM »
Sami, just my opinion, it would make it so much nicer if this could be implemented as soon as possible. (I dont know what your doing now, but it gets really annoying when this happens)........

crivabene

• Former member
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2008, 09:04:17 AM »
Sami, just my opinion, it would make it so much nicer if this could be implemented as soon as possible. (I dont know what your doing now, but it gets really annoying when this happens)........

I agreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee  ;D

orca333

• Former member
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2008, 07:37:36 PM »
If aircraft are incredibly under maintenance, will they crash or become grounded?

crivabene

• Former member
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2008, 08:36:02 PM »
If aircraft are incredibly under maintenance, will they crash or become grounded?

They will be grounded and you will have to pay fines. Also their condition will drop a lot if you are not performing proper maintenance.

BTW Sami this message was bumped to the top... I was going to do that yesterday but I felt guilty :) But I reeeeeeeeeallllyyy miss this feature!!!

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.