Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: World-wide crisis in Air Travel Boom?  (Read 2674 times)

SulphurTX

• Former member
World-wide crisis in Air Travel Boom?
« on: June 22, 2009, 01:48:30 PM »
What happened? Is there a big crisis? Fuel prices are higher than ever!
I thought this was an easy scenario...   :(

Offline bleedfax18

• Members
Re: World-wide crisis in Air Travel Boom?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 03:29:17 PM »
Fuel prices in the game are following the actual historical fuel prices in real life. So be prepared for the big spike in 2008  ??? :'(
CEO of INterFly

Talentz

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 05:30:05 PM »
Some how.. ATB fuel prices will end up higher then jet age prices.. (when adjusted for inflation)

Starting to think which game was really the tougher one...

Talentz

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 06:16:17 PM »
Some how.. ATB fuel prices will end up higher then jet age prices.. (when adjusted for inflation)

Ahem.. But all the other prices are higher too, ticket prices even.

DSimm626

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 12:14:58 AM »
Fuel prices in the game are following the actual historical fuel prices in real life. So be prepared for the big spike in 2008  ??? :'(
I wont make it until I wake up in the morning let alone 2008.
I can't and won't micro manage my airline so I'm done. I lost over a total of 100 000 000 in less than 18 hours. Just because of fuel prices :o. I have to sleep and work. Oh well. Thought all those people I'm paying for did something, guess not. I fired them all and that didn't go over to well...LOL.

Filippo

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 03:21:04 PM »
This should be the easy scenario!

Sami said that you can higher the prices. To make the same profit as before, you should raise the tickets by 30% and loose no passengers. Just that the system would not recognise a 30% raise due to the prics of oil. Airlines did that in 2005 to save themselves.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 03:33:08 PM by Filippo »

Offline NorgeFly

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 05:07:31 PM »
Perhaps the game is similar to the real World, in that the rising fuel costs will weed out the weak/poorly managed airlines. The main difference being that we had a pretty good idea this was coming and have had the opportunity to ensure that our growth was sustainable and that we have built up large enough cash reserves to ride through any potential problems that might arise. Those airlines who have spent massive amounts on ordering dozens of aircraft without really giving it much thought, are in my opinion the ones who will suffer most.

My airline (Japan National Airlines) is still producing very healthy profits despite the cost of fuel. Even though my fuel costs have risen substantially, I have not had to take any action to mitigate the situation. I have cash reserves equivalent to around 6-7 months of revenue sitting in the bank, just in case things take a turn for the worse.

It still surprises me how many airlines have very poor fleet commonality which must give them a pretty high cost base so as soon as other costs (eg. fuel) start going up, their profits are hit hard.

Just my two cents worth... good luck guys, it's just getting interesting :)

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 05:13:26 PM »
The fuel cost index is also custom in this game, but follows somewhat to real world ... There is a small spike now, then it drops, then it raises again hugely to drop again sharply ... I may have said too much here. ;)

Offline NorgeFly

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 05:20:10 PM »
The fuel cost index is also custom in this game, but follows somewhat to real world ... There is a small spike now, then it drops, then it raises again hugely to drop again sharply ... I may have said too much here. ;)

Eeek, if this is a "small spike" and there is huge one to come in the future, there going to some messy bankruptcies!  :P

Offline oggie84

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 12:08:29 AM »
Just wait until it reaches $1200 in 2007/2008!  :'(

Offline Dasha

• Members
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2009, 08:08:41 AM »
If you just have your airline well structured you should be fine and it should be able to take a little (or big) hit. If for some reason you blew all your money on new planes just simply to expand that is your choice.

Suck it up and deal with it :) Bankrupt as soon as you can though to free up some space for the airlines that ARE going to be fine (especially LHR)
The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes, decide everything

Filippo

• Former member
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2009, 12:42:04 PM »
I start to prefer the original game period 1992 - 2005.

blumage

• Former member
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2009, 09:21:19 PM »
LOL I remember in Beta Test when prices were around $800 airlines felt the fuel pinch and even big ones were forced to close down.

BTI

• Former member
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2009, 09:23:26 PM »
One thing is the fuel prices - another is the rising interest rates.  Together it forms a rather harsh cocktail.   :-\  :)

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.