Favourite Worldwide alliance

Started by toyotaboy95, June 13, 2009, 07:12:53 AM

toyotaboy95

Similar to the other polling threads. What's your favourite alliance? Mine is of course, oneworld. IMHO, Star Alliance is simply too big and soon, may even collapse due to too much inter-alliance competition. Nearly every European country has a *Alliance member with oneworld concentrating on one carrier per region. Then there's Skyteam, each alliance member is gobbling one another, e.g. Air France/KLM, Delta/NWA.

Brockster

oneworld ALL THE WAY! :)

Quality > Quantity. ;)

I'm gonna get flamed for that but it's my opinion. :) I LIKE American Airlines. :)

toyotaboy95

Quote from: Brockster on June 13, 2009, 08:07:06 AM
oneworld ALL THE WAY! :)

Quality > Quantity. ;)

I'm gonna get flamed for that but it's my opinion. :) I LIKE American Airlines. :)
me too....AA kinda rocks!! i still remember how i found out about airline alliances and oneworld. When checking in at Boston, I saw a blue circle next to the American Eagle logo then I searched oneworld on google after arriving in Hong Kong. Yep, the golden days.

oneworld revolves around you.

Unbornio

This thread is made by a biased pro-oneworld supporter.  ::)
Beta Tester

thedr2

Quote from: toyotaboy95 on June 13, 2009, 07:12:53 AM
Similar to the other polling threads. What's your favourite alliance? Mine is of course, oneworld. IMHO, Star Alliance is simply too big and soon, may even collapse due to too much inter-alliance competition. Nearly every European country has a *Alliance member with oneworld concentrating on one carrier per region. Then there's Skyteam, each alliance member is gobbling one another, e.g. Air France/KLM, Delta/NWA.

Fair points, Star Alliance does seem willing to accept anything that flies, but they have managed to get many of the worlds best airlines on board with them.
FYI, NWA weren't a sky team member before the merger, and Air France-KLM are one airline, so that point is fairly redundant.

My choice would be skyteam.... because they have the best livery! (I know, very shallow!)  :laugh:

Star Alliance livery:  :-\
http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6310846

OneWorld livery:  :'(
http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6578379&nseq=4

SkyTeam livery:  8)
http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6577900&nseq=3

bigdogshark62

My vote was for SkyTeam, too...  But then again, I'm a biased pro-SkyTeam supporter...   ;)

bds62
Delta Platinum/SkyTeam Elite since 2004

NicholasB

Star Alliance all the way. I can go anywhere in the world and earn miles. I am with Thai Airways Royal Orchid Plus Program. It has to be one of the best value programs out there.

I had considered one world, but the only airline in their alliance that has any appeal for me is Cathay Pacific. All the others...hmmm,..well.....lol

I am Australian, but i dont like Qantas, poor service and arrogant and i hate their business practices. British Airways, well too big and crapy service. American Airlines, well i dont want some old silver haired 55+ flight attendant wearing a swatch watch and barking orders at the passengers to serving my chicken or beef!

call me sexist, but "Singapore Girl, a great way to fly"

NicholasB

pharmy

For a Hungarian who lives and travels in Asia a lot, it has to be Star alliance. Simply because FRA/VIE/ZRH (Lufthansa/Swiss/Austrian) are much closer for business connections, Turkish/Egyptair are the cheapest (and Turkish is actually the fastest) way to travel to Eastern Europe, and of course nothing compares in service to Singapore Airlines (and Asiana/Thai). The alliance is large, and they do compete with each other, but for me, thats the advantage, I'm able to earn miles wherever I am, and I can always choose between 3 types of travel: speed, comfort, and price.

toyotaboy95

Quote from: Dan380 on June 13, 2009, 12:29:20 PM
My choice would be skyteam.... because they have the best livery! (I know, very shallow!)  :laugh:
For me, I like the Star Alliance livery (wonder why SQ didnt paint one :-\). It's plain and simple. oneworld's sucks in this aspect <= its just plain ugly, i mean "member of oneworld" and they still keep the original airline's tail. hardly devoting to the alliance.

Quote from: pharmy on June 13, 2009, 02:33:23 PM
For a Hungarian who lives and travels in Asia a lot, it has to be Star alliance.......I'm able to earn miles wherever I am, and I can always choose between 3 types of travel: speed, comfort, and price.
I bet if Malev had more flights to Asia, you would choose oneworld ;D. ^I agree with you on those factors. I pick Finnair whenever I can to Europe. I dunno why but they're truly "The fast airline between Asia and Europe". For a Hong Kong-Stockholm trip, its usually 15-18 hours (+ layover) with others while its 12 hours with them. The downside is they're relatively expensive at times. This reminds me, Lufthansa's fuel surcharge is like....so expensive >:( (260USD), i was looking to book with them (low fare) but after adding tax, the 2nd most expensive.

Dorito_25

Call me annoying but how can this not look good? It's amazing!
http://www.airplane-pictures.net/image38318.html

oneworld turns 10 this year..i think...

I have never heard of the other alliances... :-\

I think the livery of oneworld is shame. The others have the symbol on the tail, but yet again, oneworld's symbol isn't...fantastic...and the two other alliances livery look the same...besides the tail.

bigdogshark62

Quote from: Dorito_25 on June 14, 2009, 08:13:18 AM
Call me annoying but how can this not look good?

Because it's QANTAS?  ;)  A sardine can with a 'roo on the tail... 

(Even my dear mother, who's just a little thing, felt cramped flying QANTAS from LAX to AKL.)

Brockster

Quote from: bigdogshark62 on June 14, 2009, 04:28:04 PM
Because it's QANTAS?  ;)  A sardine can with a 'roo on the tail...  

(Even my dear mother, who's just a little thing, felt cramped flying QANTAS from LAX to AKL.)

I've never felt cramped on a Qantas flight...  :-\

thedr2

Quote from: toyotaboy95 on June 14, 2009, 02:59:11 AM
For me, I like the Star Alliance livery (wonder why SQ didnt paint one :-\).

They did. I have seen one of their 744s in Star Alliance colours. Might have a photo somewhere, but I can't find it right now.

Quote from: Dorito_25 on June 14, 2009, 08:13:18 AM
Call me annoying but how can this not look good? It's amazing!
http://www.airplane-pictures.net/image38318.html

All they've done is put titles on it. It's barely an alliance livery! Besides, if you see the BA one I think you might throw up.  :laugh:

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6552072&nseq=3

EDIT: Singapore Star Alliance 744:
http://www.photos.aero/photo.php?p=6745

Dasha

To all those oneworld fans saying Quality quality.....  S7, (my employer) A Russian airline, is getting ready to join oneworld at an invitation of BA. Since I work at S7 in the PR department, I can tell you that although we fly with those limegreen Boeings and Airbusses, (we recently sold our Tupolev 154 and Il86), the structure behind the scenes is FAR from the quality standard any oneworld member has.

I suspect that the only reason why oneworld invited S7 is because we are the second Russian airline and with Aeroflot being in SkyTeam already, S7 was the fastest and easiest way for oneworld to connect their network to the rapidly expanding Russian market. Which is fine. Brilliant move in my opinion but those quality standards are one very big farce :)
The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes, decide everything

toyotaboy95

Quote from: Dasha on June 15, 2009, 08:13:34 AM
I can tell you that although we fly with those limegreen Boeings and Airbusses,
i just hate that limegreen livery. way too bright!!! :o

Quote from: Dan380 on June 14, 2009, 05:47:59 PM
EDIT: Singapore Star Alliance 744:
http://www.photos.aero/photo.php?p=6745
SQ's Star Alliance livery doesnt look like the standard *A one tho. looks like the oneworld one. Also, the STAR ALLIANCE text is smaller than Thai's

bigdogshark62

Brilliant move in my opinion but those quality standards are one very big farce :)

Some would say the same thing about SkyTeam and Korean Air.  I remember there was a BIG outcry about the quality standards and Korean (even though I've flown them a few times, and I liked their service).

Congrats on oneWorld, though...   8)

Brockster

To all those oneworld fans saying Quality quality.....  S7, (my employer) A Russian airline, is getting ready to join oneworld at an invitation of BA. Since I work at S7 in the PR department, I can tell you that although we fly with those limegreen Boeings and Airbusses, (we recently sold our Tupolev 154 and Il86), the structure behind the scenes is FAR from the quality standard any oneworld member has.

I suspect that the only reason why oneworld invited S7 is because we are the second Russian airline and with Aeroflot being in SkyTeam already, S7 was the fastest and easiest way for oneworld to connect their network to the rapidly expanding Russian market. Which is fine. Brilliant move in my opinion but those quality standards are one very big farce :)

I flew with them once... I liked it. I didn't think it was that bad at all. PLUS, aren't they ordering the 787? That plane pretty much screams quality. ;)

Dasha

IF that 787 is ever going to fly S7 gets a few yes. But as I said, the planes are okay and from the outside it might look all nice and all, except for that stupid color.

The structure behind it is wrong and inefficient. Plus the network of us is basically only holiday destinations and a few large airports in western Europe. Nothing really shocking to have in your alliance except the expertise we have being Russia's largest domestic carrier.

As we like to say:

It's a big country. We're it's biggest airline.
The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes, decide everything

TranceAvia

I am, and always have been a *A man. BD is my fav European carrier, WW is my fav low cost carrier and AC is my all round fav carrier. Despite its shocking capacity here at BHX (LH to Germany and beyond and BD to Aberdeen), I'm still loyal to *A

0zlw

Well I'd be flying Star Alliance all the way.

The best Airline One World has is Cathy Pacific and that isn't the top.

Also when did Qantas ever fly Los Angeles to Auckland?