Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Help on playing this sim  (Read 2031 times)

• Former member
Help on playing this sim
« on: June 11, 2009, 09:48:10 AM »
Hi guys

i am new at this game and i was wondering if anyone has a step by step way of making money. i have tried on several occassions to play the game and i can never seem to make money. can anyone take me through this so i am able to make the money some of u guys are making as well as have a big fleet of planes. HELP HELP anyone. Thanks

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
Re: Help on playing this sim
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 09:58:42 AM »
Have you read the startup guides from the manual?

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 10:14:24 AM »

some considerations from me:

1. Airport Location
Entering late into the game makes it difficult to simply allocate your headquarter to one of the big hubs, because most slots and attractive routes may have been taken (when entering a new game from the first day, you may however choose a big airport hub). This is not attractive because the most important thing is, to find free routes without competition to generate good cash flow. When entering a game at a later stage like right now, you may want to choose a large airport, which is has no airline based there and still offers attractive and free routes.

2. Fleet Strategy
Due to the lack of money at the beginning, you may want to consider only smaller aircrafts in order to keep cash flow controllable. However, there have been a few successful strategies been implemented going for big aircrafts and even long-haul flights. I would consider these strategies only in the case of a sustainable advantage that it occurent from the first day, like free routes or niche market entry (only first and business class for instance). The more common way would be to choose one smaller aircraft and deliver routes with it. You will probably only be able to lease this first aircraft. Remember that you pay four lease-rates upfront when ordering the plane. That means that you earnings in the first four months will be distorted to the lack of these lease-payments not showing up yet. So first excitement about generated cash-flow may end in a hangover four months later. Also taxes will kick in after a few months and further reducing your earnings and cash-flow. Also consider the maintenance costs of aircrafts and the fuel costs, which may be decisive over profit or loss during operation. Generally, a common fleet will keep maintenance costs low.

3. Route Strategy
Generally it is of absolute importance to have your airplane in the air generating money. When starting a new routes, try to find free routes. Look for the pax demand and which aircraft may fit that purpose. You may want to choose a route that has higher demand than your airplane capacity, making it easier to reach high load-factors. Further, with small aircraft, consider short routes. You may fly from your airport to airport X and connect further from there to airport Y. If the routes are short enough, your plane will go out at 6.00am and be back from those 4 legs at 02.00pm - enabling you to fly another four legs like that in the evening. This way, you should get your plane to 8 legs per day on short routes. Concerning the load factors, you can stick with the initial prices and see how your load factor will move, once you lower or higher the prices. Don't make too robust price moves. If you have 8 legs per day you should generate a load factor of above 70% within the first 4 weeks. That should keep your airline solvent.

4. Expansion
Don't rush too soon at expansion. Your first four months of operation will be free of lease-payments, easily making expansion look very attractive. However, calculate how your monthly results will be including those payments and consider then only expansion. Due to cash, you may again only consider leasing another plane. When purchasing or leasing a plane, make sure you get the C-Check accomplished before you get into operations. Flying a first airplane that will have C-Check within 3 months e.g. may kill your cash-flow and threaten your solvency. Prefer to wait four weeks for a used plane, but have that check performed.

There are further aspects like marketing and pricing etc. But for a start, I hope this may help you a little with your decisions. Again, these are considerations, I view as important when entering a mature market as a start-up airline. Totally different scenario when going it at zero.

Best regards,

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 10:19:45 AM »
i have read and followed it to the book but i always seem never to be able to get the airline running and start making good money and buying my own planes

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 10:52:23 AM »
Well, give me some input: Which routes are you flying, what is the demand, competition, your load factor? What airplane do you use there?

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 10:58:14 AM »
You should try to increase your fleet commonality.As you currently operate 3 different kind of planes. You should focus on 1 type in the beginning. These different aircraft cost a lot in training staff etc.

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 11:00:34 AM »
Your planes are mostly grounded all the time. Average flight time 11.3 hours a day is too low. You are flying on routes with demand smaller than your plane.

Offline Dan380

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 11:30:53 AM »
- You Have 3 different types of planes! At your stage you should have 1 type (but as many of that type as you like). Otherwise you pay too much in aircraft maintenance.
- There is simply not a lot of demand in zimbabwe. To make a profit in this situation, you need to ensure you make the most of the capacity you have (but don't over-saturate it!) and keep costs to a minimum.... i.e. Keep 1, possibly 2 fleet types for shorthaul operations.
-The aircraft you are using are too large for the demand of the routes you are flying. I would suggest downsizing to 30 seat planes.

• Former member
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 11:39:56 AM »
What is your load factor then? I cannot look into the game, I am only active in JA2.

• Former member
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 01:25:37 PM »
Insert Quote
Well, give me some input: Which routes are you flying, what is the demand, competition, your load factor? What airplane do you use there?

i have 3 types of planes ATR 72-200 (Leased), Beechcraft 1900D (Leased), Bombardier CRJ100ER (Leased). i am currently flying
FVHA - FAJS, FVHA-FVBU-FVFA-FVBU, FVHA - FLLS, FVHA - FQMA, FVHA - FWCL, FVHA - HKJK, FVHA - FACT. These routes were not being flown by anyone but i cnt seem to have 100% pax have reduced original prices by 10%. My load factor is averagin about 52%

• Former member
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 02:13:01 PM »
Well, I started my first game a couple of weeks ago. I picked EHRD (Rotterdam) as my first base. (smaller airport) Because all big airlines are allready flying to europe's main airports. I started of with only ATR's. However due to my to rapid expansion and not enough available routes I had to file for bankruptcy after about a week.

After that I started looking for the best place to use as my home airport. I looked at passenger demand, competition and distances between the most wanted routes.

After carefull consideration I picked my airport in Japan. Because the average demand on most routes was about 300 I picked the Fokker 100 as my aircraft of choise. With about 110 seats and good fuel econemy it seemed like the best option for me.

So after setting up some routes where the passenger demand was mediocre/high I began recording my first profites of about 20-30k per route. Which was alot compared to my 2-8k I had when flying off Rotterdam.

After taking into account the monthly lease costs that will come into play after 4 months (you pay 4 months in advance when you first lease your aircraft) I decided to expand and het another Fokker 100.

And so I went recording nice profits. Then came the point I found I had to expand to some airports that were a little further away. That was when I bought my first A320. (I allready had 3 fokkers which made a good profit) The A320 has a bigger range so I could fly to airports at a longer distance (and charge more money/ticket (MUHAHAHA 8))).
I currently have a fleet of 5 F100 and 3 A320. My next action will be to eighter buy 1 F100, or lease another 3 or so. I still have to look at the possibilities.

So your first concerns should be:

1. Can I create enough routes from my airport where enough people want to make use of? A route with only 1-10 passengers won't make a big proffit

2. Take a look at your fleed commonality page. You will propaply see alot of expanses there because you use 3 different types of aircraft. The might also you 3 different kind of engines. If you use 1 type of aircraft you will only have about 1/3 + someting of those costs.

3. Fill your whole schedule for all your planes. Flying in the middle of the night and making a small profit is better then the plane just standing still doing nothing.

And while writing this I allmost forgot about someting. Take a good look at when certain airports are open. You can make more flights from one that is open 24H.

I hope you can use any of this.

Some facts about my airline at this moment:

Average load factor about 80%
36 routes
441 weekly flights

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.